Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heat Molding Deeluxe Spark Boots?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 pm 

I just picked up a pair of the Deeluxe Spark boots. I figured they would have some instructions for heat molding the insoles and liners but there was nothing. I heard the liners were moldable and with the fit as it is (pretty cramped around the toes), I want to heat mold if possible. Is this something that has to be done at a dealer (if so does anyone know dealers in Denver, CO area?).

Thanks

Dale

Post subject: Re: Heat Molding Deeluxe Spark Boots?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm 

I had mine done here in town by the local bootfitter. It's not rocket science, any competent bootfitter can help you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm 

essentialy they take the foot bed out, and put a neoprene toe cover around your toes, then put a sock over your foot with the footbed/toecover. (gives room in the toebox). Then you just put the heated liners in the shells and tighten them up real tight and stand in them for 10 minutes. Im not sure what the oven temp is.

Larrys in Boulder did mine for $25

http://www.larrybootfitting.com/

Theres also The Custom Fit on S Broadway

http://thecustomfoot.com/

Pretty sure Bent Gate does it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:07 pm 

What should the expectation be for heat molding? I was really excited to get these boots and the size 9 is just about right as my big toe almost rests against the inside of the toe box. Beyond that the boots feel like they are putting my feet through a meat grinder. The bottom of my feet hurt, the top of my feet hurt and they pretty much go slightly numb when worn. I have heard stories of boots needing to be "broken in" but I personally have never felt a boot this odd. My current Salomon Malamutes pretty much fit well from day 1. Is it expecting too much from heat molding to have the boot fit well right away? If I mold them I can't return them so I don't want to just gamble that it will work for me.

Thanks for the information.

Dale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:56 am 

Can you try one size up?

Is it possible that you tighten the lacing too much and cut off circulation?

What you describe is what I get with hockey skates that are too small, or if I tighten old boots too much trying to get more control and better response for the gnar...

I don't know what to expect of cooking as I haven't heat-molded my Sparks size 11 - they felt right out of the box. I may mold later. I don't have much time on them, and no touring whatsoever - just rode the ski area (the park :lol: )

Mold in the store where you got them and ask if they will accept the boots back if the heat-molding doesn't work. Sturtevant's in Bellevue guarantees they will make the ski boots work for you or give you another boot. One of my friends punched the liners, blew up the shell (new boots with cool tech to expand the plastic shell), slapped custom footbeds, and about the third time he was there for fitting they told him that if this doesn't work he should simply choose another model. He managed to get the perfect fit, though.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:08 pm 

you have to heat mold em. any boot heater will work, 12 minutes at 215 degrees is the time and temp im pretty sure.

mine fit so terrible before i molded them and now they fit 100% great. deeluxe rep says they can stretch up to a size and a half with the heat mold process.