Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark blaze on Deeluxe spark fitting problem..
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:45 am 

So after having a few heel drag problems whit my spark blaze and my dc shoe i decided to buy the Deeluxe spark (us10), thinking that would solve my problem.
after all they should have been designed to fit together, and so, i could go splitboarding again and be happy:)
To my surprise the Deeluxe is almost one inch longer than my Dc.
No more more heel drag but instead the toe sticks out the binding a massive 2.2 inches.
i sent a email to spark and they responded saying; that's the downside of the shoe and it should work anyway.
i gave it ago and very soon i was hitting my toe on the split-ed board.
so when your going up a steep hill your toe hits the board and does not allow you to get forward enough .
I uploaded some images with the deeluxe mounted on the spark and the dc, check the massive angle difference.
Has anyone noticed this?
how is the shoe suppose to work on a us 12 or 13?
thanks for sharing your thoughts.

files.me.com/vascocoutinho/9iuurr
files.me.com/vascocoutinho/nbxp0o
files.me.com/vascocoutinho/yo0ctt

Post subject: Re: Spark blaze on Deeluxe spark fitting problem..
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 pm 

Not sure how bad the drag was on the heel with the DC boots while riding, but it seems fine in the tour mode, or atleast fixable with some touring risers.

I'm a size 13 foot and can never understand how people with "normal" feet complain about drag. But there's a number of ways to dial it out. 1: widen your stance 2: open your stance 3: adjust the bindings to pull your foot ahead or back (when in ride mode, depending on which side is more overhanging)

If I can make canoes work fine on a 26cm waist, I can't figure out how a 3 size smaller foot would have issues :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm 

I could go around the heel drag on the dc, even doo it would never be as centered as on the normal plate.
The issue here is about the deeluxe boot sticking out 2.2 inches out of the binding. On the toes!
Do you wear the Deeluxe Boot?
1 widen your stance: it aint gonna be a big difference , plus i like my stance,i ride pow not rails.
2 open your stance: this i don't understand!? please explain.
3 this problem is whit the binding set as backwards as it goes to avoid the toe looking out. so already done.

here a picture..
files.me.com/vascocoutinho/2tvj4i

The biggest issue is not even riding is just touring because your toe is hitting your board when your skinning anything steep.
Riding you can just buy a wide ass board and any size will work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm 

Try moving the heel loop back, in your photos I can see its in the middle position. This will help a whisker to lessen the toes hitting in tour mode but won't eliminate it completely. Hope you can sort it, cheers Rich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:33 pm 

the first picture looks like the wrong bindings sizze

the fast way is a rizer, and the highback houlder max back... first keap the rotationspoint higher.

burton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:13 am 

I tried moving the high back totally backwards. its a 0.3 cm difference , so the problem is still there.
Risers might work but i feel that i have enough stuff screwed to my splitboard already.
The binding is size M and the shoe size us 10. the right size.. the L binding is actually not longer than the M just wider so it wouldn't help anyway.
This shoes are definitely too big and there is not enough adjustment room on the spark binding and voile plates.
The setting should work perfect together but it doesn't.
I don't have any of these issues whit my normal binding on voile plate and dc shoes, so i m going back to those.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:47 am 

Spark website does recommend a size 10 or larger Spark boot should go with a large, also I know the large has bigger heel loop and slightly different base plate, I have a dozen 2012 pairs here to compare.... I'd go back to where you got them from and talk to them mate. Also the heel loop optional holes are closer to 5mm apart which equates to 7.5mm on the 45 degree angle which is a lot more toe clearance so I suggest you try it as that is a lot more clearance which will enable a lot more angle articulation. cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:27 am 

I fit size 12 Salomon Malamutes in Large Blazes on a Jones solution 168W. I still have a little drag but not terrible. Sounds like you need risers to prevent the toe banging while touring. You also might try adjusting the heel cup back.

Other than that, you need the Large Blazes. Email sparks and ask if they will exchange them for you.

You also might work on centering your stance a little better (adjusting the pucks). It tooh a little while for me to get this dialed too.

Last recommendation, stop turning so much. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:34 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I fit size 12 Salomon Malamutes in Large Blazes on a Jones solution 168W. I still have a little drag but not terrible. Sounds like you need risers to prevent the toe banging while touring. You also might try adjusting the heel cup back.

Other than that, you need the Large Blazes. Email sparks and ask if they will exchange them for you.

You also might work on centering your stance a little better (adjusting the pucks). It tooh a little while for me to get this dialed too.

Last recommendation, stop turning so much. :D

Higher angles can help too but then again I am a part time fruit boot carver that doesn't mind rocking 20+ angles. :disco:

Honestly though give it a try if you are hard up for any other options. You could even put risers (gasp!) under your bindings to gain toe and heel clearance. I personally hate booting out while carving but also don't like ridiculously steep angles so I find a happy medium while freeriding. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14 pm 

vasco wrote:
I could go around the heel drag on the dc, even doo it would never be as centered as on the normal plate.
The issue here is about the deeluxe boot sticking out 2.2 inches out of the binding. On the toes!
Do you wear the Deeluxe Boot?

No, thirty two boots.

There was a post on here that mentioned the larger outer shell size of the deeluxe though, you could try exchanging the spark boots for a smaller size, and running a different liner in them.

vasco wrote:
2 open your stance: this i don't understand!? please explain.

Ducking out, widening the angles a bit.

vasco wrote:
The biggest issue is not even riding is just touring because your toe is hitting your board when your skinning anything steep.
Riding you can just buy a wide ass board and any size will work.

As suggested, touring risers will help that out. Also, a larger blaze will set back the foot a little more then the medium.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 pm 

I discovered the exact same issue with my size 29.5 Sparks on my large Blaze's. My toe was hitting the board early during touring. I have the heel cups all the way back. I may try risers, but I am really debating switching to Malamutes. I hate to since I really love the feel of the Sparks while riding, but they are just soooo large. They are almost 1.5" longer on the soles than my old boots, which are the same size.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 am 

I've got "size 12 feet" and went for the Flow The One instead of a Deeluxe Spark, because the Sparks were too long for my feet.
I've got a Venture Zephyr with 27cm waist and those low Spark Blazes, because otherwise toe and heel drag would be a problem on firm snow. (when carving or when riding steeps)

vasco wrote:
Well, that's easy to solve: just get some Touring Risers and you're done.
The additional weight is negligible.

a2thak wrote:
...Sparks while riding, but they are just soooo large. They are almost 1.5" longer on the soles than my old boots, which are the same size.
Seriously? 1.5 inches, equal to almost 4cm?
So your old boots must have been very, very short.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:14 pm 

FloImSchnee wrote:
a2thak wrote:
...Sparks while riding, but they are just soooo large. They are almost 1.5" longer on the soles than my old boots, which are the same size.
Seriously? 1.5 inches, equal to almost 4cm?
So your old boots must have been very, very short.

Yes. They were a ~2007 pair of Burton Sl-9's. Very comfortable, but not as stiff as I'd like. I'll try to get some pics of the comparison, but it very substantial. Major difference in sole length even though both are size 11.5