Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cilogear packs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:50 pm 

Is anyone rocking one of these? I was thinking of picking up a 30L and I see all these different versions of fabrics. Are the upgrades really necessary for a typical daypack (Ballistics, W/NW)? I'd think about a W/NW on a 60L, but not until next season. Also, I love the shovel pouch and simple design, but will I have access to simple tools without taking off the pack (mainly my icescraper) or does everything pretty much fit into the top pocket? I'm so used to the Dakine Heli Pro, that thing seems heavy and over the top for what it is. I'm liking minimalist designs nowadays.

Post subject: Re: Cilogear packs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:36 am 

I use a very old Cilogear for multi-day/night trips. Mine was built before Graham started adding avalanche tool-specific stuff. In terms of durability you certainly wouldn't need to go with any of his NWD stuff - that's primarily for people doing very extreme routes on rock and ice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:26 am 

samh wrote:
I use a very old Cilogear for multi-day/night trips. Mine was built before Graham started adding avalanche tool-specific stuff. In terms of durability you certainly wouldn't need to go with any of his NWD stuff - that's primarily for people doing very extreme routes on rock and ice.

That's the main thing I wanted to know. Thanks man.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:08 pm 

i hadnt heard of these until a few months ago. apparently its some guy here in portland making them as i understood. they seem very innovative and well crafted. i was impressed with the one i saw.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 am 

I have a 45L Cilo Gear pack with the shovel pocket and couldn't be happier with it. I collapse it all the way down for day trips and open it up when I need more room. It feels like it's lighter than my Heli Pro pack that I carry when I'm booting out of the ski area and it carries a lot better too. The 30L and the 30:30 both have smaller top pockets with smaller openings that could be kind of annoying but if you don't have any ambitions of overnighters then they are going to be sized better for you. Cilo will do custom work and if I was going to buy another dedicated pack for splitboarding day trips it would be the 30L with the 45L straps (the opposite of the 30:30).

When I want to carry my splitboard on the pack I put it together base-to-base as skis with the bindings on and put it on the pack with the shovel pocket. It's the most secure board carry that I've used in ~20 years of carrying a snowboard uphill.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:41 pm 

I have been using my 45l WD bag for everything but resort riding for 3 years. Had one mishap & got it rebuilt about a year and a half ago, but other than that its been flawless.

Daytrips
http://instagram.com/p/XQrw-eh4Zz/

Assembled board
http://instagram.com/p/gjjU1iMgC9/

A frame
http://instagram.com/p/hFHHsPh4dw/

Overnight trips
http://instagram.com/p/ZAIBIBB4dX/

Justin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:08 pm 

i've had my 45L Ski for a few months and it is hands down my favorite pack ever. The adjust-ability of it is ingenious. It works for a simple day pack, but I also carried 90lbs+ on it this hunting season for a 3-nighter.

I have wet dreams about getting a 30W/NWD.