Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Bomber Board Test: Sidewall destruction edition.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:00 pm 

I originally posted this on TGR, but thought I'd cross post it here for thoughts from a more snowboard centric crowd. Not bashing any company, just sharing my experience with my boards. cheers...

I'm a big guy, and not very easy on boards, so I'm always looking for a board that can survive the southern rockies under foot of fat ass. As I weep for the impending early demise of my new venture storm (162 x 28) pow master thought I'd post some pics and thoughts on the failure compared to the most bomber board I've ridden, my never summer legacy (163 x 26) super tank...

Anyway the first three photos are of damage to the front heel side and the last is the rear heel side. The front side damage came from landing fakie to stall on a stump. Bad rail compression noticed after the day out, but no sidewall separation. After about three more days on snow the sidewall is starting to separate from the base and run as I think you can see in the pics. rear heel damage is probably from a rock and unfortunately the sidewall is starting to separate there too. Suck! This board has 20 days jibbing groomers last season and saw it's first real use this season, with only 5 hard days causing all the destruction. I know all hits to the rail are not created equal, and this is from some punishing early season turns, but the cover here is about as good as it ever gets, so that's the standard for all bombers for me.

The last 2 photos are of the retired legacy after a good hundred days of punish. The splits you see in the rail started as compressions and lasted dozens more days and hits before finally snapping, but the sidewall never separated or delaminated near the damage. Mind you the never summer saw 5 years of use as my go to pow board early and late season.

I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but seems to me the venture sidewall material doesn't have enough elasticity and is causing the separation from the base. The never summer sidewall is still in really good shape, and has relaxed from the compression after the rail finally broke, but it held the dent for a long time without causing any separation from the base. Anyway, those are my thoughts. Love the venture, always thought the never summer was a little damp, but she took a beating.

Post subject: Re: The Bomber Board Test: Sidewall destruction edition.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:04 pm 

Thats interesting. My experience is the exact opposite. My legacy edge is delamed after 2 seasons. I have to continually reglue it. I have a massive core shot on my Venture, and nothing. I do think overall though that NS sidewalls are bomber, and better then Ventures. Cool thread.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:16 pm 

btw, all my days on this board have been at wolf creek and santa fe. I know most of the continent is hurting for snow, but our early season conditions have been better than average. Still, probably should have saved this beauty for prime time. I got it cheap out of the bargain bin though, so not quite as painful on the pocket book.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 pm 

The Revelator wrote:
The front side damage came from landing fakie to stall on a stump. / rear heel damage is probably from a rock and unfortunately the sidewall is starting to separate there too.
All the damage is to the heel edge of the boards. This is where you are landing and the energy is likely thousands of pounds per inch on impact. This is very common to broken boards and the RMA process. The sidewalls are not breaking, the core is breaking away from the sidewall and the edge is pulling away from the core and fiberglass. Once this happens, the sidewall is unsupported and will begin to pull free. Also when this happens water soaks into the wooden core and exacerbates the process. You can either stop thrashing boards (ie: stumps and rails) or try to take impact damage to the center/base of the board where it is considerably stronger. I would bet the toe edge is in fair to good shape? This is because of your riding style, not a warranty issue.

Both companies are using the same Sidewalls and Sidewall/Base material. They do not "make" their sidewalls, bases or edges. These are industrially manufactured and sourced from the manufacturers. Sintered 2001 is still the strongest (no matter the designation eg:4001=weaker than 2001) Ptex also doesn't break, it is too soft and can only tear, ABS plastic sidewalls will break. Comparing the damage between these 2 boards in also not fair as every impact is different.

Point your board at the obstacle and get off your heel edge, or continue to buy 1 or 2 boards per season.

BTW: I have crushed over a half dozen boards right under the heel, and have seen many, many more die an early death in the same way. I am not trying to criticize your riding, but I dont think this is a construction issue. This type of damage can also be mended to some degree with repairs if addressed before the water seeps into the core. A Burton/Ride/Capita/ETC would likely be taco'd or in 2 pieces after that impact, new or not. Just my 2 cents... Please don't shoot the messenger...

Take it to Venture and see what they will do for you, you never know????

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Point your board at the obstacle and get off your heel edge, or continue to buy 1 or 2 boards per season.

When in doubt, point it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 pm 

Well, I tend not to point my board at obstacles. Obviously these where under the snow. I'm not in the habit of purposely landing heel side on stumps of turning on rock, but shit happens. I agree you can't compare hits to the rail, and agree most factory boards will be destroyed, but still think the sidewall material used in the never summer may be superior in this respect. I'm not going to start riding like your grandmother fuego. Busting up boards is part of the game, just sharing my beta and perspective. I agree with your assessment for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:17 pm 

and yeah, I don't think this is a warranty issue, so I don't expect any company to design a board that is indestructible. But I know there is a difference in sidewall material companies are using. I've been curious how the ride skate board wheel sidewalls are performing, not that id pick a ride over venture.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:28 pm 

on the repair front what should I do? Just keep epoxy in the crack and hope for the best?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 pm 

I would definitely hit up Venture, the worst they could say is no.... A lot of companies would rather eat one board and make a customer for life. I Know that on several occasions Voile has replaced a board that was well out of warranty, just to make a customer. I very well could have been a weak board too, I have seen Ventures / NS / Unity boards take real pounding and hold up for years.

I think this board may be too far gone to repair, but...

What you would do is clean up the break, with razors and brushes to get all the debris out of the area. Then get into the board as deep as you can with razors or thin metal to create a void to be filled with epoxy. You then fill the void up with epoxy and clamp it back into shape with some medium thickness metal sheeting or flat metal bars. You want a lot of evenly spaced clamps to distribute the force and not bend the board in an unnatural angle. Next step is to drill through the sidewall into the core. You fill the hole with epoxy and sink a headless allen screw flush with the sidewall. Make sure you have no air pockets. Next step is to cross you fingers. It takes a lot of work and tools, but I put a buddy's board back together last year and it worked fine since.

I killed 3 boards in one season and decided then that I had to change what I was doing, I have only really busted one since. And my Grandma rips btw!

Good Luck buddy!