Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the Deeluxe spark too big ? and the blaze too short..?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:30 am 

Yesterday i received my Deeluxe spark, and to my surprise its 0.8 inches (2cm) longer than both my old shoes, DC and Rome.
2 cm might seem not too big, but in snowboarding where the length of the shoe is an important issue it makes a huge difference.
I already had the feeling that the spark Rd binding base plate was a little short, whit the spark shoe its even worst.
The toe sticks 2.2 inches (5.5 cm )out of the binding.
Its looks like i m trying to fit a size us12 on a kids binding.
Has anyone noticed this problem?

I'm wondering what went wrong here, is the spark base plate too short or the Deeluxe too big or maybe both!?
Or is it really suppose to be like this...
Thanks you for sharing your thoughts.

here some images;
files.me.com/vascocoutinho/ivdbzy
files.me.com/vascocoutinho/2tvj4i
files.me.com/vascocoutinho/rr84zf

Post subject: Re: Is the Deeluxe spark too big ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm 

I don't have experience with the deeluxe boot and spark binding but with my malamute it's ridiculous, sticks way out and makes touring difficult (I'm a size 13). I even contacted spark to make sure I didn't get a med instead of the large. They basically said the malamute boot runs long and I should look into the deeluxe boot. I actually found the malamute to be shorter than most other boots I've used in the past and have never had an issue with other non splitty specific bindings before. Are you normally a size 12? What size deeluxe did you get and do they fit or is the extra couple centimeters extra boot material?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 pm 

I have Deeluxe R&D 11 and Blazes w/ Burner conversion size L.

The front does come a long way off the plate, haven't tried touring yet, will see how it works. I had trouble closing the ankle strap in the longest configuration. Maybe I need to wear more and they will pack up a bit...

Didn't have these issues with Burton Ruler 11.5 - it seems it's a pretty low volume boot.

Will report back after more use.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 am 

i also contacted Spark about this and basically they are saying that they made their binding shorter to avoid it sticking out of the board.
About the deeluxe being too long they say its the downside of the shoe.
they also sad it might just work fine.
On perfect powder conditions maybe...!
but carving or traversing on compact hard snow your toes or heels will be dragging on the snow causing you to slip and maybe crash.

My Deeluxe are size us 10. but the spark binding L is not longer than the M just wider.i
if it looks this bad on size 10 i cant imagine how bad it must be on 12 or 13.
I also can barely bring my ankle strap around on the longest setting.
It seems to me that this all Spark thing is more a marketing campaign rather than something that has been tested and designed to work properly together.
I Decided to go back to my old boot and binding that i can perfectly set in the middle of my board with no toe or heel drag.
Selling my spark binding and shoes..!

Post subject: Re: Is the Deeluxe spark too big ? and the blaze too short..?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:27 am 

Have you guys looked at the new Burton line? I think starting last year they started offering the "shrinkage" foot print. It makes your foot print either a half or whole size (can't remember which) smaller then your shoe size.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:11 am 

The toe hits your board while skinning up and makes your life very very uncomfortable.
i created a new topic in the bindings spark section:
check the photos there.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12499

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:52 pm 

I think the Blaze L is a bit short, was probably done to reduce weight...

Would prefer a longer plate for L with the toe ramp closer to the toe, as this should improve response - that's why top freeride bindings have an adjustable toe plate piece. Having said this, I haven't noticed any performance compromise related to this with Blaze 2010/11 L paired with Burton Ruler 11.5 - on both NS Raptor solid and Heritage split. The Deeluxe boot is longer, so this 'may' be an issue. I am adjusting the heelcup back for a more centered fit, will see how it works, but don't have much time on the setup yet.

Not sure if Javier splits as much as say JJ - I see him more often on a solid, so it is possible that the Deeluxe boots are not necessarily dedicated mates for the Blaze / Burner, even though they are BC-oriented boots.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 am 

Your solution might be to sell the bindings and have Rughty make you some bindings out of a Ride XL plate, then you have to lift your touring bracket to get full range of motion, since your pivot point is real far back, or attach a second chunk of slider plate up under your toes for use with the touring bracket. I hated not having support right under my toes.