Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hovercraft Split
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:33 pm 

I've got to agree with barrows on this one. The finger joints are definitely a weak point. I work with wood on a daily basis and I wouldn't consider that a premium wood core, that's for sure.

It's interesting how few deficiencies are coming up with other companies. Everybody I know with a defected Prior payed less than retail for the product. I haven't seen any Never Summer defects. Venture? Nobody around here rides one, but I haven't seen anything come up on this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:58 pm 

I don't think we've heard of too many core issues with Jones last year, so I'm not as concerned with that until we hear about riders breaking them and long term durability issues.

Most of the issues we saw were related to getting product in customers hands in a satisfactory amount of time and a whole LOT of QA issues. I was hoping that the QA issues would be resolved for the second year, and subsequently purchased two Jones solid boards to replace aging boards mainly on specs and shape.

It seems this is not the case yet. We've already seen a Solution with the inserts drilled the wrong end and now a mismatched Hover split. It almost seems like maybe the two "skis" of that split came from different boards and it is why it does not line up?

Without riding my boards yet (barely any rideable snow in Tahoe) - I have found a couple of minor defects that I would attribute to a lackadaisical QA process.

My Hover60 is perfect in almost every way, but for a slight "nipple" on the nose on the top sheet from the epoxy as the board was pulled from the press before fully cured. I can slice it flat with a razor, but a minor QA annoyance rather than a true issue.

I was also disappointed the Flagship still will have a perception issue due to the wood topsheet allows minor discoloring under the bindings. My board was very dry on the top sheet so I contacted Jones via FB, where they have been responsive. I've taken Jones recommended precaution using linseed oil to protect it, but in my eyes, the customer shouldn't "have" to take extra steps with a brand new board and the board should have a "finished" feel right out of the wrapper.

While applying my coatings of linseed oil this weekend I also noticed that the top logo was not level by a few degrees. Not a huge issue at all, but again a minor annoyance with a brand new board.

If they ride as good as the specs look, I'm sure I'll be happy in the end, but QA is something Jones & Nidecker should be taking very seriously if the brand is to survive long-term. :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 pm 

I would love to get my hands on one of those hovercrafts or a solution or any of the Jones line really, but wow, the quality control is really making me think twice.

I'm sad to hear about yet another issue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm 

you guys are starting to worry me that i have made a poor decision ordering a hovercraft split, first off after preordering back in the summertime i found out last tuesday they were unable to meet production and the distributor only sent boards to whistler after contacting the shop in whistler i was able to order one pay the extra tax and the shipping to get it to edmonton. so i feel like out of the woods and still get screwed over...purolator lost the board and doesnt know if it is in edmonton, whistler, vancouver, or calgary.

if they ever do find it it seems as if it may likely have issues not really what i was looking to have happen for my first split hopefully this is not a bad oomen. hopefully it turns out as im sure there arent many other boards my prior skins i got shipped to me will fit on as they are only 159s...

fingers are crossed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:29 pm 

Wow!! Sounds like I made the right choice to cancel my order!! There are lots and lots of choices out there now for a new splitboard and it seems that Jones needs to get their QA process in order. I'm not willing to shell out 7 or 8 bills for mediocre quality, but I will spend a bit more for a better quality board!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:25 pm 

Similar situation with the Solutions last year - and again this year, it seems.

I was so pumped about the way my Solution rides, that I pre-ordered a Hovercraft Split in Sept from my local Jones re-seller, but have been growing a bit wary from all the talk here (and other sites). I sent off an email to Jones regarding my concerns and it was forwarded several times all night long- I got a firm response the next morning, apologizing for the delays. They acknowledged the problems and said that they have been working on rectifying them non-stop. They promised to set one aside, out of the next batch that comes in, to be sent to my board shop - delivery around the 2nd week of January.

Definitely a bummer to have delay issues (and production probs!) again this year, but I was actually pretty excited about the customer service. I've read about others having probs with their customer service, but I had a total of 7 emails from them, within 24hrs of sending out my 1st email. That, I like!

Plus, it ain't snowed sh*t 'round here yet, so I can wait!

I'll follow up when I receive the board.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:20 pm 

Glad I didn't locate a Hovercraft Split, QC doesn't look too promising.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:42 am 

Not that i know a lot about wood cores,but Voile makes a point about their wood cores not having finger joints. I think i would be a little bummed if i saw one glaring at me under the topcoat.

That said they might be great boards for all i know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 pm 

Just in case anyone is curious for an update on the crooked top picture - I have been in contact with Jones & Nidecker and they have generously offered a discount. Which is fine with me, since it's kind of irritating to look at, but it's not going to break the way the board rides (and it does not sound like there are any replacements in the country anyway).

Also, some people mentioned the finger joints. Personnel, unless we start seeing huge problems with boards breaking at the finger joints, I really do not feel too concerned about them because:
a) My Mountain Twin from last year has visible finger joints and it is still holding together just fine so far.
b) I bet a number of people are riding boards with finger joints in them (without knowing it) and without having any problems... Just that many of the other manufacturer are covering their cores up.
c) I have seen some manufactured / engineered wood stand up to an awful lot of bending, twisting and abuse before it even thought about breaking. Remember, even if 1 finger joint is weak, it still has 5 or 6 or 8 strong neighbors around it... but a thin piece of solid wood with a weak spot only has itself to rely on.

Anyway, the Voile pucks & bindings are still on back order, so I still have not actually been able to ride the thing! :banghead:
(Not that there has actually been any fresh snow falling in the last 3 weeks anyway).

-hps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:59 am 

RE: Jones problems in general. Just speculation here, those with facts please weigh in. I believe that Jeremy Jones wants to bring a quality product to market, but that, as a new company owner, he is on a bit of a learning curve here. My understanding is that Nidecker has production facilities in both Switzerland and Tunisia, and my assumption would be that Nidecker makes its high end product in the Switzerland facility. My experience with Swiss made products is that the Swiss never make anything but the highest quality products, but the Tunisian facility may be operating at a lower standard. Perhaps Jeremy signed a contract with Nidecker, without knowing all the details of what he was going to get (Tunisian manufacturing vs. Swiss)?
If anyone knows any details of this I would love to hear them.
It is clear to me, that a wood core with many finger joints is not a high quality construction: will you see it in some other boards, yes, and I have, but you will not see this in something like a Venture-who builds their own cores. Something like these finger joints makes me worry about other details of the construction as well; if a company is using visually obvious compromises in construction details, what else might be going on?
I hope that Jones will survive these early problems, and will grow into offering a high quality product, perhaps they will have to choose another manufacturer when their contract with Nidecker expires.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:43 pm 

boardinthepark wrote:
if they ever do find it it seems as if it may likely have issues not really what i was looking to have happen for my first split hopefully this is not a bad oomen. hopefully it turns out as im sure there arent many other boards my prior skins i got shipped to me will fit on as they are only 159s...

fingers are crossed

I'm pretty sure your skins should work just fine with any other board you might end up with. I have a 158 venture and the skins are definitely not 158 or likely even 150. I still don't have any problems with getting up anything my buddies are skinning. With the 158 skins, you'll probably end up trimming some off the ends. Don't stress it. I don't think I know any splitters that actually have tip to tail skin coverage and we all do fine. If I were you, I'd put tail clips on those babies and be happy as hell to have the option.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:12 am 

barrows wrote:
RE: Jones problems in general. Just speculation here, those with facts please weigh in. I believe that Jeremy Jones wants to bring a quality product to market, but that, as a new company owner, he is on a bit of a learning curve here. My understanding is that Nidecker has production facilities in both Switzerland and Tunisia, and my assumption would be that Nidecker makes its high end product in the Switzerland facility. My experience with Swiss made products is that the Swiss never make anything but the highest quality products, but the Tunisian facility may be operating at a lower standard. Perhaps Jeremy signed a contract with Nidecker, without knowing all the details of what he was going to get (Tunisian manufacturing vs. Swiss)?
If anyone knows any details of this I would love to hear them.
It is clear to me, that a wood core with many finger joints is not a high quality construction: will you see it in some other boards, yes, and I have, but you will not see this in something like a Venture-who builds their own cores. Something like these finger joints makes me worry about other details of the construction as well; if a company is using visually obvious compromises in construction details, what else might be going on?
I hope that Jones will survive these early problems, and will grow into offering a high quality product, perhaps they will have to choose another manufacturer when their contract with Nidecker expires.

I seem to recall that Jeremy Jones said himself that the Nidecker facilities in Tunisia are more modern than the ones in Switzerland. I won't say anything about the finger joints, since that's outside my knowledge, but I can say that no company could manufacture snowboards in Switzerland and sell them for $400 (Hovercraft) in the US while still hoping to make a decent profit.

Now this is just conjecture, but the Arab spring DID start in Tunisia and the country has been in a state of considerable upheaval this whole year with people demanding democracy. The local unstable political climate combined with the rising demand for Jones boards quite likely is enough to cause some serious shipping problems.

I'm not sure if other members in Europe have had the same feeling but it seems to me that Jones has been supplying boards better to the US - crazy as it seems - than Europe this autumn. I had pre-ordered a split hovercraft in May and got told two weeks ago by the retailer that they didn't think that they'd be getting my board at all this season (thanks for the integrity Blue Tomato). Last year I got my Flagship without any problems in early October from the same shop.

Let's hope that Jones and Nidecker get the production and logistics back on track because at least I have really liked their board so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:42 pm 

Hovy Split came, as promised, last Friday.
I have seen a number of issues with this split, posted on the internet: core probs, being shipped w/ rusty edges, gaps in metal edges, graphics, etc.

MINE IS PERFECT!!! I spent about 2 hrs inspecting every bit of it and it is just beautiful.
Not sure if the newest batch addressed these issues, or if I just got lucky.
Either way - an absolutely beautiful board that I cant wait to get out on.

My only real concern is the stability when in tour mode- the foot is very near the tail end of the board. The heel of my boot damn near hits the first of the rear foot inserts. I know this concern was brought up somewhere previously, and Jones said that it has been tried and tested. I guess if MTN Approach skis have enough surface area, then this should suffice. I will be a bit skeptical of this though, until I get a chance to get out on it this weekend.

Regarding the finger joints on the board... I have a Solution as well and if I look at the bottom side of the board - in the middle of the "O" on the Jones graphic, I can see through to the wood core, which has finger joints too.
I took a season-ending biff on this board last year, where I came from about 30ft to flat, and took it all on the tail. It wrecked me, but my board is just fine!! Its taken some serious abuse and is still one of my stiffer boards. Time will tell, I suppose.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next