Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to build custom pucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 pm 

Im in the middle of ordering some blanks from Fort Collins plastics and will proceed to mock up some custom pucks. I thought here could be a good place to share ideas, materials, build methods, etc... I'll shoot a crap load of pics and leave them here...

We could also share dimensions as well. I plan on building 6 sets, fabbing the first for my slider tracks. One day when I can afford Sparks, I'll go forward with those...

So, gnarshredder, how'd you do it? What are the benefits? Weights? What would you change?

They look solid btw...

Post subject: Re: How to build custom pucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:11 pm 

Why no replys on this subject?

I'm in AK, wanna build the cheapest diy splitboard, it would be nice to have access to the equipment to make 3 sets of pucks and slider mods to alum weld to inexpensive alum bindings...it sounds like a wonderful/productive High School shop class project if I only that young still ;-) Stack that with the Portland shop offering g2 skins blemished for $79 or the skins that sell for $105 shipped.

I have 4 friends me and my buddy are trying to convert over to splitboards who also don't have much $$$ (I don't have a splitboard yet, waiting for REI to offer complete Voile package w/ bindings so I can use fatwallet 3% cashback and 10% REI rebate @ end of the year with hopefully another coupon stacked) Other option I can't find is an inexpensive last yr model complete package/closeout.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:56 am 

So what are you using for materials?I had use of a mill in a machine shop but i think that some people use a table saw to do it as well,just takes more time to get dimensions right.if you go that route maybe try milling a piece of hard wood first to get the right fit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 am 

Just make em and post, I am sure you'll sell as many as you make. See burtons posts about doing them right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:08 pm 

I'll be your first customer. I would love to buy a pair of undrilled pucks. Tired of Voile puck migration.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:56 am 

Taylor wrote:
I'll be your first customer. I would love to buy a pair of undrilled pucks. Tired of Voile puck migration.

Chair 2 Board Sports is already selling solid delrin pucks http://www.chair2boardsports.com/product/split-solid-binding-pucks. You would need to drill your own holes and cut them in 2 but they would solve your migration issues. And in full disclosure - I machined these pucks for Chair 2.

If you are going to make your own be aware changes of 0.002" can make a huge difference in the puck feeling tight or feeling sloppy. I can't imagine making them on a table saw and keeping them tight. I machined these so they fit tight so a little sanding might be needed if you like a sloppy fit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:37 pm 

DrownedRat wrote:
Taylor wrote:

Chair 2 Board Sports is already selling solid delrin pucks http://www.chair2boardsports.com/product/split-solid-binding-pucks. You would need to drill your own holes and cut them in 2 but they would solve your migration issues. And in full disclosure - I machined these pucks for Chair 2.

If you are going to make your own be aware changes of 0.002" can make a huge difference in the puck feeling tight or feeling sloppy. I can't imagine making them on a table saw and keeping them tight. I machined these so they fit tight so a little sanding might be needed if you like a sloppy fit.

Don't have many issues w the Voile set up, but I'll be trying a pair of these out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:33 pm 

puck on your solid, with spark verts in the pack, killer slackcountry setup, $45 is a little steep for $5 of materials and 10 min. on a mill. If they drilled holes for your desired angles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:43 pm 

More like 20 dollars material and at 80 bucks and hour usual shop rate your going to have to run off a few because of setup time.At 45 theyre not making a killing and is worth it for the accuracy you get,have made about seven sets myself for diy with holes drilled to correct stance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:37 am 

Excellent solution. I'll be placing an order. Thanks.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 am 

DrownedRat wrote:

Chair 2 claims exclusive availability through them...which is slightly overstating the case.
gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 am 

Sweet, I just a bought a few pairs, not sure why you are not selling them direct though amigo. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:15 pm 

we only see fotos from the down side ??? why ??? - is there any secret ore a way to now witch copie is it :wink:

the hole in the upper side ? by my slider is for drill the 4x4 holepatern, to youse the slider on my one pice board + verts

but the price is cheap 45$

Burton