Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr. Chmops on Blaze issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 am 

I just got my Mr. Chomps for Christmas and I am pumped to take them out. However, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have put them on two ways, neither which seem to work right.

First, I installed them so they would sit on top of the board's climbing wires. When I do this, the baseplate is resting on the climbing wire of the Chomps, and the heel is high above the board's climbing bar. At first I thought it was resting on the solid raised bar on the Chomps, but I noticed it is hitting the Chomps climbing bar and not the solid raised platform. Also, the Chomps are not resting flat on the board this way.

So then, I installed it under the board's climbing bar. Now, the Chomps sit flat on the board. However, they are still resting on the Chomps climbing wire, not on the solid platform. When compressed, they rest on both climbing wires and not on either solid platform.

What am I doing wrong?? Brand new Mr. Chomps, brand new LT pin system, brand new Blaze's, brand new Venture Zephyr...

Post subject: Re: Mr. Chmops on Blaze issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:59 pm 

Maybe I missed it in your write up, but did you replace the longer pin guide that comes on the crampon with the one that comes with the Lt touring bracket?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:39 pm 

mountainbikeak wrote:
Maybe I missed it in your write up, but did you replace the longer pin guide that comes on the crampon with the one that comes with the Lt touring bracket?

Yes I did. I got a reply from Spark stating that this is how the Chomps are supposed to work. It just seems like it puts upward pressure on the LT pin bracket screws, since the main support point is the Chomps climbing wire, not the platform on the board's climbing wire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:47 pm 

I had this same problem with my Burners. The (shorter) plastic pieces on the Mr. Chomps were barely too long, so they rubbed on either side when installed, and kept the binding baseplate from collapsing back into place. I fixed this by filing off the ends of the plastic pieces to make them about 1mm shorter on either side. Now the crampons fit perfectly between the touring bracket pieces, and the bindings fold flat down to the board no problem. Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 pm 

I'm having exactly the same problem.
Mine are DIY boards so probably a lot less strength in the touring bracket inserts than factory boards. It will rip them straight out for sure.
Please post a solution if you come up with one. I'll do the same

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 pm 

The Chomps can be positioned in two ways:

1. Both the factory touring riser and the Chomps riser are folded down for touring on mellow angles.
2. Both the factory touring riser and the Chomps riser are positioned in the vertical position for steep terrain touring.

There may be a little bit of clearance between the baseplate and the top of the riser when your foot is not weighting the binder. Your concern that this will put too much upward pressure on the touring bracket is legitimate but apparently is not a problem since this is in fact how the interface is designed.

Here are some photos of the binders and Chomps in various positions for your reference.

The Chomps lays flat against the board, the factory touring riser lays flat against it to hold it in place to allow you to get purchase from the crampon while touring without risers.