Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: overnight pack options?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:50 pm 

strain wrote:
I find the straps on my guide way too flimsy to support any sort of load - if you've got it stuffed full, it ain't comfy.

Anyone know a similar sized (55-60L) pack that has legit snowboard carry?

Did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4926

I also posted a thread about alpine packs in this size range (60L+)... viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4339

Lately I've been scoping out the Arc'teryx Arrakis 65, but I already own an Osprey Exposure 66 and a Wookey Phoenix 65 w/ Wookey's snowboard carry system. I really like the Arrakis' design and it has a nice suspension plus a harness system that can be adjusted to carry a snowboard really well. I've not seen a full-sized pack yet that really has a dedicated snowboard harness (Wookey was the closest IMO). The Mountainsmith pack mentioned in the thread above came with a "decent" harness built in for carrying a board, but I think it could have been better designed.

I've asked Deuter to design a full-sized alpine pack based on one of their older snow packs called the Glide 35+. They currently make an alpine pack called the Guide 45+ that carries skis and splitboards in A-frame mode really well, but I want them to build a Glide 45+ & 65+ that allows for ALL attachment options. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:00 am 

Yoda wrote:
I've asked Deuter to design a full-sized alpine pack based on one of their older snow packs called the Glide 35+. They currently make an alpine pack called the Guide 45+ that carries skis and splitboards in A-frame mode really well, but I want them to build a Glide 45+ & 65+ that allows for ALL attachment options. :wink:

I really hope they listen! I love my Glide and older Guide 45 (carries solid and A-frame), far and away some of my favorite pieces of gear...just be sure to tell them to use some different zippers on the lid.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:31 pm 

Freighttrain48 wrote:
barrows wrote:
Osprey Variant 52 here for overnights. Lightweight, well made, carries well when overloaded, and compresses down fine for the leaving camp/hut on a day trip. Bomber split carry in A-frame mode. This pack also comes at a decent price. Would love to try a Cliogear Dyneema, but would rather buy a new split for the price.

I was looking at this pack when you go overnight you tenting? snowcave? I have a kode 38 but I dont know how people cand do overnights and not hang lots of stuff on the outside. there is no way I could carry camp clothes, bivy sack , sleeping bag, stove etc in a kode 38

I use this pack for all overnight split trips now: Huts, Tents, whatever. It is just the right size, and keeps me from ever carrying too much gear.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:44 am 

barrows wrote:
Freighttrain48 wrote:
barrows wrote:
Osprey Variant 52 here for overnights. Lightweight, well made, carries well when overloaded, and compresses down fine for the leaving camp/hut on a day trip. Bomber split carry in A-frame mode. This pack also comes at a decent price. Would love to try a Cliogear Dyneema, but would rather buy a new split for the price.

I was looking at this pack when you go overnight you tenting? snowcave? I have a kode 38 but I dont know how people cand do overnights and not hang lots of stuff on the outside. there is no way I could carry camp clothes, bivy sack , sleeping bag, stove etc in a kode 38

I use this pack for all overnight split trips now: Huts, Tents, whatever. It is just the right size, and keeps me from ever carrying too much gear.

Maybe we should discuss what you bring in each. I just got the guide, it does look small for tent trips, but perfect for huts. What do you carry on your tent trips with the kode 38? This is not to start anything, more along the lines of helping me pack lighter!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 am 

So this is me and my set-up from a couple years ago in Northern VT (Sterling Pond, Long Trail), now, it’s not the lightest set-up but with age comes wisdom, right? The pack is the Osprey Argon 70L, notice the solid board and slowshoes because the reason I went with this pack was the 60lb load I had to carry to the campsite. The pack handled the 60lb load with ease and room to spare, it was my legs and back that were starting to buckle but luckily the campsite was only about 5 miles or so of hiking. The brain on the Argon model comes off and turns into a fanny pack of sorts, with a pretty sizable capacity but it makes you look like a gomer. The pack itself packs down pretty small when it’s not full so it’s not the worst thing in the world to be stuck with this pack in the backcountry after you have unloaded your camp from it. But, the pack alone weighs 6lbs so there is certainly much lighter options out there, plus this bag was bought in 2008 and there are much more options now than 4 years ago.

The tent is the EMS headwall, as an alternative to a snowcave. It kept me super warm and the condensation wasn’t too horrible but I would always go with an igloo if I could (but I don’t really know how to build one). Good luck in finding the right gear that works for you, just my two cents, hope it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 pm 

after having taken the dakine guide on a couple day trips and an overnight hut trip, i'm really liking it. at first i didn't like how many pockets and doodads it has but after a couple trips i now make use of every pocket and like not having to dig through the main compartment for everything.

on the overnighter, it fit a sleeping pad, bag in a 10L compression sack, GSI dualist cookset (stove and fuel canister packed in it), 2L dromedary bottle, food for 2 days, goggles, gloves, down hoodie, insulated pants, and extra base layers with room to spare. it weighed ~25 lbs and felt fine as long as i remembered to tighten the waist belt and sit it above my hips.

i'm confident i could pack this for a multi-day hut trip (basically just adding more food) no problem, but i'm not sure how much room there'd be for a tent, which is fine cause i'm not planning on doing any tent trips in the near future. my 2 favorite features are the big front pocket that holds shovel and skins for quick access and keeps them separate from the rest of my gear and the rear panel access that lets me grab stuff without going through the top. packs down super small for daytrips. for the $180 i got it for, it's pretty affordable relative to other comparable packs i've seen. i highly recommend this pack.