Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a dermatologist
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:07 am 

I have skin issues.

I re-glued my skins about 20 touring days ago last season and installed tail clips. After this the skins were sticking well and I swear by skin clips. My skins have NOT retained the glue, it seems that the adhesive went somewhere else and not on my board. I used the BD glue with the paper bag technique noted on this site (3 layers). It should also be noted that I purchased this set up at a garage sale and can not state the skin usage prior to my use. Anyway, here is my question, is it likely that I did something wrong with my reglue job, if so what? Or can it be some other aspect of skin care that I do not know about and need to consult a dermatologist. Anywho when my one skin failed me today, one strap plus skin clips allowed me to climb long way with no additional problems, I stand by the skin clips. Last question my skins have had a good life should I buy the glue?
Cheers
David

Post subject: Re: I need a dermatologist
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 am 

prior to gluing, perhaps the surface was not prepared or had some oil on them? Did you try cleaning them first?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 am 

I removed all the old glue. with the removal of the glue all the dog hair, pine needles and forest after-thoughts came off. I did not clean the skin's surface with any kind of product after removing the old glue. it looked clean, what is this oil you speak of? Thank you very much for the quick response.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:55 am 

Well, it sounds like the skins were used, but they were working fine. I was wondering if you got some oil on the skins, like some PAM oil or wax or something. I read something, I think here, about prepping the skin surface prior to the glue. How did you clean them? If there was soapy residue on your skins from cleaning? them, maybe the glue wasn't sticking properly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:08 am 

I cant recall cleaning the skins after removing the old glue. It could be the prep work I did or removing the glue in my small cabin but I have no recollection of cleaning the skins, but if it is common practice spoken of in the threads I am sure I did it. If I did fail to clean the skins after removing the old glue this could be the root of my problem?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 am 

benbo61 wrote:
If I did fail to clean the skins after removing the old glue this could be the root of my problem?
That may be the issue, but I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 am 

benbo61 wrote:
If I did fail to clean the skins after removing the old glue this could be the root of my problem?
That may be the issue, but I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:24 am 

benbo61 wrote:
I have skin issues.

I re-glued my skins about 20 touring days ago last season and installed tail clips. After this the skins were sticking well and I swear by skin clips. My skins have NOT retained the glue, it seems that the adhesive went somewhere else and not on my board. I used the BD glue with the paper bag technique noted on this site (3 layers). It should also be noted that I purchased this set up at a garage sale and can not state the skin usage prior to my use. Anyway, here is my question, is it likely that I did something wrong with my reglue job, if so what? Or can it be some other aspect of skin care that I do not know about and need to consult a dermatologist. Anywho when my one skin failed me today, one strap plus skin clips allowed me to climb long way with no additional problems, I stand by the skin clips. Last question my skins have had a good life should I buy the glue?
Cheers
David

what skin clips you got mate? Sparks? I have some but got 6 months to wait to try them they look like the goods tho, cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:45 am 

When you store your skins you should put both skins together glue to glue, dont just fold them on half of eah other (this keeps em from developing a crease) I also had an oldtimer once tell me to store my skins in a cold place to preserve the glue (freezer or cold garage)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:41 am 

richie
what skin clips you got mate? Sparks? I have some but got 6 months to wait to try them they look like the goods tho, cheers[/quote]
I used the G3 Clips with the red G3 Tail as seen in the first picture in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9730&p=76981&hilit=skin+clips#p76981
I also helped a friend install the G3 Clips with the BD orange tail seen farther down in the thread and they were much shorter, we had to punch an extra hole to make the strap work.

Enjoy the summer and you will dig the clips when the snow comes.

How do I embed the quotes to show in the white box?
Cheers