Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Are K-clips worth the $50

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are K-clips worth the $50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 pm 

richie wrote:
hey Stein let us know your results once you've tested them both. The comments here are objective based on some good static tests and observations, from guys who have a few clues. Cheers, Rich

I've ridden both. Karakoram is a far superior system, in every mode, built buy a couple guys that have a clue :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 pm 

ok sorry man you obviously know your stuff, like I said please share your objective testing otherwise its not really very credible it just sounds like you're a vocal supporter of the brothers and you're trying to justify your $50 bucks - at least Barrows tests are quite objective and I agree with his opinion 100% at this stage I am still not sure what facets of the clips performance you have really tested and how so?? Enuf said cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm 

man you know, you are right! i want my $50 back :(

these splitboard forum guys know their stuff, clearly! Nuff said! No arguing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:22 am 

Mehhh k clips with k bindings no doubt the best avaliable. k clips with sparks not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 am 

In order to understand Barrows findings I think one needs to test ride the board WITH bindings and NO clips or hooks, then try each clip/hook setup...
The point being, If you don't understand the way they affect the ride (with or without bindings) your opinion isn't very compelling.
In fact the counter arguments made here speak more to the validity of not using clips/hooks rather than one style over the other. :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 am 

Richie: thank you, clearly you understand my point, and are functioning as a voice of reason here.

Again: The clips contribute to board lateral stiffness (in addition to that provided by the binding interface), and the Voile chinese hooks contribute more to the stiffness than the Karakoram clips.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm 

Good stuff, Barrow's analysis regarding lateral stiffness makes perfect sense. Just by looking at the chinese hooks, you can see how the extra material would provide more leverage.

I got k-clips for a DIY board I'm building and may revert back to the chinese hooks. The "hulling" concerns me and I want as much rigidity as possible.

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:57 pm 

chrisNZ wrote:
Mehhh k clips with k bindings no doubt the best avaliable. k clips with sparks not so much.

haha Chris, you must be drinkin too many tequila's on the beach mate!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 pm 

I agree there may be a small amount of "hulling" as barrows describes but when it comes to riding performance this "hulling" is so negligible that it has zero noticeable effect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm 

BGnight wrote:
I agree there may be a small amount of "hulling" as barrows describes but when it comes to riding performance this "hulling" is so negligible that it has zero noticeable effect.

BG, to be clear, the "hulling" does not specifically bother me. But the fact that the Karakoram Clips do not provides as much stiffness across the board as the Voile Chinese Hooks does. The thread was concerning the clips/hooks specifically, and not the entire interface. My testing indicates the stiffness of the Karakoram binding section is equal to that of the Voile slider plate. As I use hard boots, I was only interested in evaluating the stiffness in board set up contributed by the clips/hooks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:28 pm 

Would be good to hear from other board designers/builders on what their expectation of what the hook/clip should do. I want the boards I build to stay as close to being like one flat platform all the way through, and as much as possible all forces xferred down where they need to be on the working edge. I know on a split this is pretty hopeful but every bit helps in my opinion and there is no reason why you would not build a clip with this in mind that at least assists this as much as practically possible. If someone can come up with a better solution I'll look at it thats for sure!

1. Got to be reliable for a few good hard seasons abuse
2. Got to be simple to operate with cold hands gloves on and snow/ice in the works
3. Got to be quick and easy in the transition both ways
4. Needs to enhance splitboard performance closer to that of a solid - may be marginal gains esp depending on what snow conditions you typically get to ride in
5. Must not get in the way/flap/rattle or any other negative effects while in touring mode

There are some other radical ideas around for split interfaces and I am sure they will evolve over the next few years as new companies and products come to market.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:25 am 

I just finished a K2 nemesis (which has built in foam platforms at the inserts). I used both the k-clips and k-tip and tail connectors. The initial impression upon engaging the clips is that it sucks the halves together very tight. While skinning the buckles flop around annoyingly, putting the board together is easy and seems to be tighter than the Chinese hooks, although i understand the points made about lateral stiffness. I am open to considering the benefits of both products and time will tell on the durability of the buckles the K-whale tails seem to be a bit of an improvement as far as stiffness is concerned.

On a separate yet similar note it does seem that the raised platform sections on the nemesis will add torsional rigidity to the system. Looking at this platform makes me think a ridge of stringers running down the middle of the board would create a wider and stiffer interface between the board halves. One would need openings along the middle ridge for the connective hardware. This needs drawings anyone getting this?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm 

I bought a pair of the Karakoram tip and tail clips for my upcoming DIY (furberg 173) build. I am hoping that they will be better than the Voile's, and wanted to support the Karakoram guys at least a little bit.
I am glad that Karakoram exists and that they are working to try and innovate and improve the splitboard interface. Competition is good, but if we, as splitboarders, want the best interface possible, we do need to make objective, honest, observations about what is right and wrong with current interface technology, and not be impressed just by the "newest" and "latest" thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next