Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tours at Wolf Creek, CO?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:48 am 

I know (and love) Wolf Creek pretty well, but my knowledge drops right off beyond a 10 minute boot hike.

Does anyone have any information, or can anyone confirm, that there is some decent touring either from the area or from the top of the pass? What sort of terrain? Trying to make it over there later this week.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tours at Wolf Creek, CO?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:15 am 

There is unlimlited potential for touring at Wolfies! Just get a good look form either side... set a skinner and prepare for some great pow!!! From the standard lot on the east side great tours of super steep old growth trees in drainages exist below the mellow open slopes of lobo overlook. Gibbs creek is also just over the ridge for bigger more descents but with more exposure. Have fun down there... I've been chasing almost every storm down there this season and have had some amazing days out! Its pretty much go anywhere base with great snow on top, just watch your aspect and get ready for some deep snow!
:rock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 am 

SP is dead on. Tons of touring on the pass. There is a parking area on the North Side at the top of the pass. The only access sleds have there is on FR 405, which you skin up too. Lot's of good drops below the road under Suicide Bowl. SB is just below the Lobo overlook. The south side of the pass is full on snowmobile access, but if you skin up to the ridge top, the snowmobile traffic backs off considerably. Lot's of stuff over there, I haven't done any of the lines. Gnome chutes and Hourglass look nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:44 am 

Whoa whoa whoa, there is nothing at wolf creek, and the San Juans for that matter right now. Their base sucks, probably the worst in the country right now, and all they have it lame runs for wack skiers. Make sense to stay away from there anyone reading this forum. :).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa, there is nothing at wolf creek, and the San Juans for that matter right now. Their base sucks, probably the worst in the country right now, and all they have it lame runs for wack skiers. Make sense to stay away from there anyone reading this forum. :).

Hahaha! Awesome...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:08 pm 

Nice, thanks for the advice everyone! :headbang:

Don't worry, Summersgone. It's no secret that Wolf gets blasted. We'll try to be polite and leave the really good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:15 pm 

Any wolf creek regulars know the Morris's?

Elder mason riper John, his son Noah and daughter Ana? (now in their 20s, and also rippers...)

I had some of my best days of the season at Wolf last year... :thumpsup:

And then hot springs! :oops: