Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boot/Binding combos
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 pm 

If anyone remembers the "soft" ski boots that salomon and rossi were making a few years ago i think they could make an AT snowboard boot version.

im thinkin a plate binding like the mountain plate but with the slider built in. dynafit toe pieces.

i think the key would be a special buckle or power strap that would be used for touring, undone or loosened for riding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm 

clicker mounts directly to the slider plate weigh less than 5 ounces each I think that's less than half of what the switch binding s come in at. and the boot stays super narrow for running narrow skin tracks on steeper traverses. Still you are at 4 lbs to 5 lbs (depending on the boot) for boot, binding and touring plate together, which is a bit more than a pair of Rughtys and some 32 Primes or superlights, or rando boots and plates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 am 

AK Split summed it up the best and he is clearly on the same page as I am. High pressure continues here in Utah, perfect R&D weather.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:19 am 

I've always wanted to see someone build a refined version of this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2029

A simple highback, with toe/heel bails. The ankle strap could be optional.

I'm a big fan of this idea. It just needs to be stripped down to shave weight. And the boot needs to be closer to the board. The height is the main reason I don't use them anymore. That, and slider tracks wear out too quickly.

If we get a production snowboard boot with toe/heel welts, that would be an ideal match with this binding. For me, at least.

The main thing I like about this binding is that it rides similar to a strap binding. But I'm not relying on the straps. Straps fail. And that sucks. The bails attach the boot, and strap allows me to crank my foot down tight.

Highbacks are absolutely necessary. If you're just going out to ride pow, then maybe not-so-necessary. But around here, it ain't always powder. Having the highback built int the boot COULD work, but would involve a ton of R&D ($$$$$$) so that might not be feasible at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:39 am 

I have three pair of those boots. The ones I use also have an instep buckle attached.
I also have the parts to make an attached high back. Have been trying for several years to get some help with that but...Wally does the r and d.
BTW, the best time for r and d is during the summer months so testing can be done during the winter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hey bcd, why have a heel bail in addition to the ankle strap? Can't the boot just be forced back into the heelcup solidly enough that the toe bail will stay in place to prevent a little bit of toe lift or side to side slop that might occur with just an ankle strap? Just drop the boot down onto the slider track, then have rughty the alu-welding wizard weld on some tabs on the sides of the slider track to attach a lower toe bail to. I think it is redundant to have a bail step in binding and an ankle strap when the ankle strap can pretty much hold the boot in by itself if the boot has a rigid sole.

If you use a strong nylon webbing style ankle strap, you just need to carry one ratchet and plastic ratchet tongue and screw&nut and you can field repair easy if it fails. Or tie wire / duct tape of course. If you want quick release get a mini airplane buckle involved in the ankle straps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:41 pm 

This looks really heavy and bulky...
Why not just create a much lighter set up, with much less bulk, and take advantage of the increased touring performance of a Dynafit toepiece?
See threads on the TLT5... Plenty soft for riding, and easy to make it softer if you want, lighter than anything else out there with no need for heavy heel loops and highbacks. Super light bindings for the down (mine are 1 lb. each) which are in the pack on the up for a super light on the foot touring set up. No compromise riding performance, superior touring and climbing performance, lighter and more reliable (no more broken straps).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/