Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BD Compactor Poles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm 

KR wrote:
tiltedworld wrote:
and requisite duct tape supply :mrgreen:

This is necessary, in order to look like you know what you're doing. I get people fooled all the time because I have duct tape on my poles.
:headbang:

I actually got to use my duct tape on my first tour this year!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm 

This thread inspired me to bust out the old whippet avatar from 2006. Thanks! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 pm 

bcrider wrote:
When was the last time you needed to execute a "real self arrest" while skinning?

Whippets are meant to be an additional tool in our toolbox not a replacement to an ice axe proper.

For me, I dont carry a real ice axe on every single tour. Nor do I carry boot crampons, verts, and splitboard crampons all at the same time. But I always have my poles so why not make them serve a little double duty (not replace an axe).

I'd rather have them and benefit from all the advantages they give me rather than miss out because I can't do a real self arrest in a situation where I wouldn't use them in the first place.

YMMV

I seem to remember my very first splitboarding trip ever, and BGnight can attest to a splitter needing to self arrest on the skin up Bloody one fine Oct 15th morning. Self arrest options are not a bad idea. This was a mod that can be put on any pole I did a couple years back. It is still holding up quite nicely. In fact, I picked up a pair of contour elipticles myself and this whippet is going on it when this pole does finally need replacing. I'll get a better pic up soon, but this will do for now.

Image edit:

Found the link to my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9059

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm 

^^^ Yeah but can you shave with it? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 pm 

Tested these all last season. They Rock!! Took me 45 days to break em.
That was a first generation test pair. Always been a flick lock Fan, but these work extremely well.
If you need a Ice axe take a light wieght
axe or two.
Enjoy them I did. .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 pm 

bcrider wrote:
^^^ Yeah but can you shave with it? ;)

Fresh off the mill I could. It's a bit used for that now, but more importantly...I can open beers with it! :guinness: :bananas: :disco:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:48 pm 

I have a feeling that Santa is going to bring me a Compactor set. A little snow and I'll be field testing in January :thumpsup: in the backcountry and at the resorts for those long flat traverses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 pm 

i would never question bcrider's dedication to the whippet, especially considering the lengths he has gone to (eg. an avatar photo shoot circa 2006) to promote their usefulness.

however one thing that confuses me is the fact that black diamond seem to have ignored the countless requests from the splitters over the years to release a stock standard 3 piece whippet. wasn't there even a 3 piece whippet petition floating around at one stage? I ended up modding two of the newer version ones (twin whippet fan myself) which is painfully simple.

IF YOU'RE LISTENING BLACK DIAMOND, WOULD YOU CARE TO ELABORATE OR IS THERE SOMETHING OBVIOUS THAT I'M MISSING HERE? :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:31 pm 

holbyco wrote:
i would never question bcrider's dedication to the whippet, especially considering the lengths he has gone to (eg. an avatar photo shoot circa 2006) to promote their usefulness.

however one thing that confuses me is the fact that black diamond seem to have ignored the countless requests from the splitters over the years to release a stock standard 3 piece whippet. wasn't there even a 3 piece whippet petition floating around at one stage? I ended up modding two of the newer version ones (twin whippet fan myself) which is painfully simple.

IF YOU'RE LISTENING BLACK DIAMOND, WOULD YOU CARE TO ELABORATE OR IS THERE SOMETHING OBVIOUS THAT I'M MISSING HERE? :scratch:

black diamond doesn't give a shit. they never have and probably never really will. the sad thing is once they do put out some splitboard type products we will all overpay for them and talk about how sick they are, forgetting that they told us to shove it up our asses for ten+ years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:59 am 

Atlas 7075 Series LockJaw 3-Piece Trekking Poles

No reviews yet.
I'm about to buy BD Expedition to replace my old Leki which these Atlas remind me of.

Has anyone tried these and have an opinion?
Pounds (BD -v- Atlas): 1.5 -v- 2.4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 am 

Ok, I finally had a time to try these poles. I have a little video with Tiltedworld about them, and I'll upload it when I have a chance to edit. They are quick draw for sure. We got a little stuck, and they were handy. I threw a volie strap around them (as pictured earlier), and just fliped them out and they were ready. Took maybe 10 seconds....I just wish they fit to their snowsaw...dumb planning on BD's part, but the poles work well at least for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm 

Been using these for a good part of the 'season' now. Definitely agree with fitit - quickdraw, blam, extended. Most of you older gentlemen probably don't see much of that anymore :wink: Compacting them is about a wash timewise with other 3 piece poles I've seen and used. But when they're collapsed - very packable. Although, like KR says, they're more bulky, taking up more width than length (obviously).

few gripes -

1) as stated, they use a metal button to release the 'compactor'... the whole reason I've come to love the BD poles is because of the flicklock. I've had the compactors out overnight (extended) a few times now and had the buttons freeze up....maybe leaving them undone would remedy this? I was able to hand wrench & twist the 2 sections while pushing the button to get it to release, but it took half a minute. Also had lower sections freeze up.

2) can't use them as stub poles for booting up chutes. Shortest usable length is no less than 105cm (s). Too much for a stumpy guy like myself.

3) don't have the extended grip like my BD trekking poles (expeditions don't have them either). Great for switchbacks - don't have to shorten one pole or grip the metal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 pm 

Monk151 wrote:
Been using these for a good part of the 'season' now. Definitely agree with fitit - quickdraw, blam, extended. Most of you older gentlemen probably don't see much of that anymore :wink: Compacting them is about a wash timewise with other 3 piece poles I've seen and used. But when they're collapsed - very packable. Although, like KR says, they're more bulky, taking up more width than length (obviously).

few gripes -

1) as stated, they use a metal button to release the 'compactor'... the whole reason I've come to love the BD poles is because of the flicklock. I've had the compactors out overnight (extended) a few times now and had the buttons freeze up....maybe leaving them undone would remedy this? I was able to hand wrench & twist the 2 sections while pushing the button to get it to release, but it took half a minute. Also had lower sections freeze up.

2) can't use them as stub poles for booting up chutes. Shortest usable length is no less than 105cm (s). Too much for a stumpy guy like myself.

3) don't have the extended grip like my BD trekking poles (expeditions don't have them either). Great for switchbacks - don't have to shorten one pole or grip the metal.

I also don't like how each section rotates. otherwise I like these poles pretty well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next