Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: VT or ADK friend search
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 pm 

I'm forgoing a pass this year as I can no longer get the student discount, so I'll be splitting quite regularly around VT. I'm mostly familiar with the terrain in the Mansfield/Smugg's area as I've had a Stowe pass for the past 4 years, but I'm hoping I can make it out to the Adirondacks and Whites a bit more this year as well. I have all of the safety gear and took Avy 1 a couple years ago (although I'll admit that my beacon search skills are a little rusty), now I'm just looking to pick up a new split, an ice axe, and some crampons so I can attempt some more technical routes with confidence in my gear. I don't trust my homemade split when it gets firm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:08 pm 

I live in the Adirondacks and have been riding for 20 years - High Peaks backcountry for 8 years or so, splitting for 4 seasons. This winter is going to be epic here, as we have at least a dozen major new slides to explore. I work full time so unfortunately I can usually only ride weekends and early morning sessions, but my schedule is flexible and I'm always looking for partners. I try to get in the BC at least once per week, especially since I no longer have a pass. Hit me up if you're in the area and need a partner and/or beta.

I also bartend at Liquids and Solids at the Handlebar in Lake Placid - hands down the best food in the area and a huge beer selection. Owned and operated by fellow local riders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:26 pm 

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of starting an email list for all the folks in northern VT and ADK. If you'd like to get in on it, I'll happy to get it going. Just sent me a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 pm 

I have been out of the game for a couple years and I'm getting back in. Used to pretty much be on my own definitely interested in meeting some Splitters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 pm 

So- Northeast splitfest is on.

I'll make a thread as the details get fully worked out, but we'll have an up/ down race, demos (with some awesome '13 split innovations), and probably beer :guinness: , too!

March 3-4, with main activities March 3. (The weekend before the open, so a few key out-of-towners will be around, and more manufacturers will be willing to make the trip).

The week before I will also put on an AIARE 1 and ice-climbing instruction. Open to recommendations for awesome instructors (especially who ride).

Will need some volunteers, etc. as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:49 am 

earthsurfing wrote:

I'll make a thread as the details get fully worked out, but we'll have an up/ down race, demos (with some awesome '13 split innovations), and probably beer :guinness: , too!

March 3-4, with main activities March 3. (The weekend before the open, so a few key out-of-towners will be around, and more manufacturers will be willing to make the trip).

The week before I will also put on an AIARE 1 and ice-climbing instruction. Open to recommendations for awesome instructors (especially who ride).

sickness.. where? In VT? I'm in, can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 pm 

Splitchank,
I would be willing to check out the Bolton area. I am over at the bush. new to splitboarding last year,got a few adventures in at camels hump, the Back side of Stowe and Lincoln gap. Would also like to do a Mad river glen assualt.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 pm 

I'm based in the Montreal area, love the Whites and Greens, but the 'Dacks are my fave I think.

Always looking to go split (when we get enough snow...), mostly weekend daytrips but I can rock an overnight. I have the Mon-Fri office thing going on and a family so time is tight but, we all snowboard and, my wife supports - and encourages - my backcountry habit.

Here in Quebec we have a lot of interesting places to explore as well... I haven't been to Gaspe for a few years but last time it was on slowshoes and I can;t wait to try splitting there. Great to see so many folks shouting out and, if an EC splitfest is in the works, count me in. In teh meantime, keep on dancing the snow dances...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:51 pm 

earthsurfing wrote:

shit... will just be getting back from mammoth late the 3rd. the open seems early this year. i'll be bummed to miss this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:12 pm 

Unfortunately, we can't count on the snow in late March anymore...

There'll still be some chillin' happening on the 4th.

Found the AIARE instructor. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm 

Hey folks - I live in Jay, just down the valley from Keene. I've had a splitty for several years now, a good buddy finally just got one but I super rarely get to ride in the backcountry with another snowboarder. I teach high school M-F but have some half days and hammer it when the snow is good. I know the mtns fairly well, just end up on solo missions more often than not.

We're also thinking about a Chic Choc trip the first week in April depending on snow.
Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:20 pm 

i just confirmed my chic choc trip dates will be there march 12 to the 16th if anyone else wants to join a couple other splitters. should be pretty good conditions!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 am 

Is there any volunteer work a newbie can trade for the avi class?