Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how's a burton canyon for my first split
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:15 pm 

i'm thinking about picking up a cheap board to split. i'm pretty new to BC but i've done a few day trips in my past 2 winters at tahoe. i'm thinking about picking up a 168 and the voile kit. i'm 5'10 and about 240 lbs. I normally ride a 159 for my every day resort board and I also have a 164 for days when it's a little deeper. Will this be an ok board to split? anything else I need to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:20 pm 

Rip it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:20 pm 

what is your boot size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:26 pm 

10.5. will that be an issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:29 pm 

I think BCRider was making sure you weren't getting a board that was too big for you. I am sure he'll chime in, in a minute. I still say rip it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:38 pm 

you dont need the canyon.

the Canyon is the equivalent to the old K2 FatBobs. They were boards made extra wide for riders with large feet. With a 10.5 it will most likely be too wide for you. It may not be a big deal on the descent (or it could make going from edge to edge more difficult) but it will definitely make skinning harder due to the extra width.

Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Keep looking for a good, used, solid board to homesplit…there are plenty out there! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:45 pm 

not really what I wanted to hear since I found a good one for cheap ($75) but I was talking to a friend last night who runs a shop in tahoe and I think I may be able to get access to last years rental burtons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:51 pm 

Hey people would love the skin track you left behind with that one. I think the extra leverage you get from being up higher on the board would compensate for any problems you have with turning. I am actually not so sure how Burton's hole pattern matches up for Voile hardware. bcrider probably has more info on this.
I would pick the board up for $75 either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:52 pm 

One more thing to consider.

Because of the Burton proprietary hole pattern, you may want to look for other brands with standard four-hole patterns. The Burtons can be home split but the hole pattern does ad a little more drama (i.e. you have to cut through inserts whereas with a four-hole pattern you are only cutting through the board itself.

Remember, ebay is your friend when it comes to good deals on used gear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:54 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Hey people would love the skin track you left behind with that one. I think the extra leverage you get from being up higher on the board would compensate for any problems you have with turning.

Being on too wide of a board is no fun, both on the UP and the Down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:49 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Killclimbz wrote:
Hey people would love the skin track you left behind with that one. I think the extra leverage you get from being up higher on the board would compensate for any problems you have with turning.

Being on too wide of a board is no fun, both on the UP and the Down.

Ha! I think we all know about the uphill part. Weighing 240lbs though. I think he could muscle that boat around. I definitely notice a difference in the responsiveness of my split vs my solid boards. BCRider is right though. It's a bitch always having to break half a trail on a splitboard. Then if you hook up with other split riders you wouldn't get the benefit of being able to follow a skin track without busting out part of the trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:50 pm 

bcrider wrote:
you dont need the canyon.

the Canyon is the equivalent to the old K2 FatBobs. They were boards made extra wide for riders with large feet. With a 10.5 it will most likely be too wide for you. It may not be a big deal on the descent (or it could make going from edge to edge more difficult) but it will definitely make skinning harder due to the extra width.

Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Keep looking for a good, used, solid board to homesplit…there are plenty out there! :)

should he rip the custom instead? :? (canyon is billed by some as a "custom for people with big feet")

edit: oops, just saw you comment re: burton bolt pattern. maybe not then..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:30 pm 

mergs wrote:
should he rip the custom instead? :? (canyon is billed by some as a "custom for people with big feet")

Who said anything about splitting a custom? I'd say the custom is a tad too narrow for him and it doesnt solve the fact that splitting a Burton is more difficult that a regular board with a four hole pattern. Also, 10.5 is barley considered "big feet".

For $75 bucks its a great deal if its in goood shape, it just might be a tad wide. On the flipside, maybe it will be perfect.