Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Voile (Manufacturer) Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:50 pm 

pow_hnd wrote:
wasatch surf wrote:
karakoram and jones don't raise anything for me. i like hard boots so when karakoram gives me an option maybe i'll take a look. and i guess jones does raise one thing, the price for an over hyped board that completely contradicts their "green" image by being made in a sweat shop that requires thousands of extra miles of shipping supplies and product just so they can save a few bucks with cheap labor.

Dan! The Jones boards are not made in a sweat shop... They are made in the 125 year old family owned and operated Nidecker Factory in Switzerland...

hey whats up man? I wish that was true but they are made in Tunisia which is in northern africa. gospel from the mouth of jeremy jones(check the jones thread).

this thread has gotten fucking retarded and i apologize for my initial involvement in derailing it. my only intentions were pointing out that voile is a small local company that doesn't deserve to be misrepresented.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:33 am 

Quote:
this thread has gotten fucking retarded

Yep.
Quote:
voile is a small local company that doesn't deserve to be misrepresented

No doubt, that was misrepresented.

Quote:
meant to be a single place to reach out to the manufacturer[s] for product ideas, suggestions, and feature requests

Back to this please.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:53 pm 

Since this thread has gotten a little weird, i would also like to point out that like other mfg's, voile has a facebook page where you can ask questions or suggestions directly to the company, rather than hope that they happen to see it on here.

here is the direct link
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Voile-USA/157191907632851

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14 pm 

Hey Dave, now that you've produced some new swallowtails, is there any chance us loyal ST riders can get in on the action? Or is this a hush hush, wink wink thing? :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:32 pm 

Bump? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:49 pm 

tested a mojo rx today noticed right away that it was much more playful than the older Mojo. i'm not going to do the standard Jones move and claim its the sickest board ever having only ridden for a few hours, but i will say i am really pleased thus far. talked to Wally about some of his ideas and if they ever happen, i think we will all be pleasantly surprised. :headbang:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:10 am 

The wife and I just picked up two 10/11 mojo rx here in Burlington, VT. Got an amazing deal on boards the SkiRack wanted out of their inventory, with skins and mounting gear too. Its a huge step up from our diy, I've done a few and the cutting and mounting I got real good at but the bases would get turn up from the sanding.

I really like the wrap around cap edge on each ski, my first board ever was a Jamie Lynn libtech and it had the same cap. That board held up for years and got me a fat bag :doobie: 6 years later. The fat bag didn't last me very long but still, the dude's son got another three years out of the board.

I also really like the tapered shape, my latest solid was complete rocker tip to tail but pretty twin besides the set back stance. I'm excited to try the new combination camber technology in this deck.

Finally, has anyone tried the karakoram clips on a capped splitboard, it seems to me that those clips rely on a flat I interface when engaged

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 am 

I've used the K-clips on a Voile Mojo and hated it... On cap construction the edge is the only contact point and the clips creating lots of upward pressure (pull) cause the edges to jump one atop the other... I initially used them on a sidewall construction board and thought they were useful, but I eventually realized the K-clips cause the board to "hull"... YMMV :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:03 pm 

some wandering thoughts-

karakorams clips would definitely suck on a capped edge. i would imagine people clipping the board together, then trying to put their bindings on and not being able to because of a decent sized shift as the edges jumped above/below each other
- related note - even if magnetraction served no noticeable purpose in edge hold on the skin track, it passively adds stability to the board, as the angles in the edge tend to sit in place. i would almost want to see a dramatic zig zag cut if it didnt mean certain doom on an icy traverse track
as for the "hull" effect, i think its only a visual thing when there are no bindings on the board. they probably arent creating nearly enough force to counteract the stiffness created once bindings are mounted

but back to voile (the company that stopped reading this thread when it turned into a stereotypical internet brawl)-

i think any splitboarder who knocks them is nuts. yes theyve been stale in terms of innovation, but lets not forget that they changed this sport from a DIY mosh pit of technology to an absolutely standardized industry. i think the biggest benefit of the products both sparks and karakoram put out is that they are pushing innovation. if voile is the evil empire corporate monster that some of you think they are, and sparks/kk are the entrepreneurial saviors, then voile will dump a ton of money into battling the competition and we (the users) will just sit back and reap the benefits. but they arent. and yet they will compete. and new companies will be popping up all over the place, as people like jeremy jones turn their whole line into splits and movies like deeper and further (and higher) push the concept of backcountry exploration further into the spotlight. big business and competition will soon become our friends here people... newer, better and cheaper technology will be our reward.

dave- i know you want to get a little closer with black diamond and start putting out more splitboard skin options.... i just know it. follow your heart. because ive mangled enough skins at this point to almost want the g3 alpinists with their weaker grip just in hopes that their manufacturing standards create a longer lasting product than my hideous frankenstein creations

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:56 am 

Dave's not here :deadhorse:

Post subject: Re: 2010 Voile (Manufacturer) Thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:27 pm 

I might have heard something about sidewalls being reintroduced in the near future. :thumpsup: Also might have heard a few other things we should all be on the look out for this spring!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:13 pm 

Yeah thats the word, sidewalls and... let me guess a revolutionary step-in system? :sleepy:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:10 pm 

I saw some stuff for next year that looked pretty cool. it had sidewalls and a better graphic, hopefully someone fixes that before OR show, cuz we can't have a voile board with a good graphic out there :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next