Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile Freeride 166 or DIY??
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 pm 

my 1st post here...got a buddy who's wife decided that a pass wasn't in their budget this year, so i mentioned we should just hit up more backcountry this year to get his days in...

i've been doing some BC here and there over the past few years mainly off loveland and berthoud pass in Colorado...i have avy gear and have been engulfing myself with avy knowledge as much as i can soak in over the past couple years (unfortunately have not gotten out for a level 1 or higher class at all though, so hands on training is minimal, but taking in as much as i can)...

so the plan is to put the snow shoes away and get a splitboard under my feet...

i have an option to pick up a 166 voile freeride for $350 (going to push for $300, which i think is a more fair price if it's in good condition). my other option would be to split my old 163 burton supermodel powder board..

either setup i am leaning toward having some sparks R&D burner bindings to tie it together..

question is....should i go with the voile or DIY on my burton (yes i know it'll suck with the screwy screw holes burton throws down the middle of the board, but i've seen it done)?

thanks for any useful help!

EDIT: for more info...i'm 5'11" 200lbs..been riding for ~10yrs...currently riding 162 gyrator & 163 TRS...big powder hound and love the steeps....ride double blacks regularly, not huge on drops or park...

Skunk Ape Split

Post subject: Re: Voile Freeride 166 or DIY??
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:47 am 

no body has anything they could add to help me out?

not a newb to boarding or BC but a newb to splitboards and DIY splitboards, so anything would help...

my concerns are that the freeride is not as stiff as i'd like, but i'm worried that the structure of my supermodel would lose some strength after the split which may give me a board comparable to the freeride as far as stiffness is concerned

but things i'd gain would be the factory split with easily adjustable angles for my feet, an inside edge and no stress surrounding splitting my own board...

another plus would be the increased size with the freeride (166 vs 163) which sounds like i may want for the skinning...

so should i just go with the freeride or split my own board?...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:18 pm 

well scratch that...the guy sold the board last night before i was able to meet up today...

crap...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm 

Get the board next time unless you have all the tools to do DIY.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:30 pm 

i have access to all the tools needed to DIY, but when the cost of the DIY kit and skins were about the same as the board with the hardware and skins, it was a toss up...

back looking for a board setup for the same price, otherwise i may split the supermodel...

would have been nice to grab a 166 for that price though....

got an option for a rome white room for $500 with hardware, but then i'd still need to get skins and that's pushing my budget over the top

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:35 pm 

Split that TRS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:37 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Split that TRS!

i'd love to...don't want to have the TRS be my guinea pig though...would suck to F that one up! it's my favorite board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 pm 

I have a DIY kit for sale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:43 pm 

looking at getting the DIY kit for $160, Sparks Burner $329, Karakoram Splitboard Clips $50 and Voile skins for $170...$709 total for a solid DIY board setup + time for splitting + apoxy and saw blade...

would love to cut that price down though...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:50 am 

You would make it cheaper by going with regular bindings and the default voile hooks. You could upgrade later if moneys tight at the moment.

If you want split spesific bindings,the Voile Mojo RX/Lightrail package for 1095 usd is a pretty sweet deal! Ive got it in 171 and its a good allround shape. The binders are also good. The package also includes skins.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:45 am 

PowderHooker wrote:
You would make it cheaper by going with regular bindings and the default voile hooks. You could upgrade later if moneys tight at the moment.

If you want split spesific bindings,the Voile Mojo RX/Lightrail package for 1095 usd is a pretty sweet deal! Ive got it in 171 and its a good allround shape. The binders are also good. The package also includes skins.

oh i know... i been drooling over that deal for a while now...

problem is that i really don't want to setup a half a$$ed splitboard and if i'm going to DIY i'm going to get some solid bindings to strap into...and best bang for your buck with bindings is the light rail or sparks..and it sounds like for $30 the extra stiffness that the burner provides would be worth the upgrade in my eyes...

i do think i'll pass on the karakoram clips for now, but will still need the kit, skins and bindings...

but thanks for making me think about that rx setup again... :drool: i need to find extra gear to sell so i can afford this move

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 am 

When i bought the Voile i was sort of kicking myself thinking that Voile being the cheapest would be less good. I was wrong. recently used it on a 9 day trip to whistler and it was the only board i used. works great on powder/wind blown and hard groomers. I could probably spend the whole season on it and be perfectly happy. It has made one of my solid boards obsolete and im selling it. Keepin a Gyrator though its so nice in pow :)

A good split might replace one of your solids and that way partly finance your purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:32 am 

PowderHooker wrote:
When i bought the Voile i was sort of kicking myself thinking that Voile being the cheapest would be less good. I was wrong. recently used it on a 9 day trip to whistler and it was the only board i used. works great on powder/wind blown and hard groomers. I could probably spend the whole season on it and be perfectly happy. It has made one of my solid boards obsolete and im selling it. Keepin a Gyrator though its so nice in pow :)

A good split might replace one of your solids and that way partly finance your purchase.

not too bad of an idea...i'd probably have to sell my gyrator though and keep my trs for the resorts...as much as i love the gyrator in the snow..the trs is an amazing all mountain ripper and handles the steeps amazing and still eats up the pow

what's the going rate for a slightly used 162 gyrator?