Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting a Gyrator 168, advice please
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm 

Hi there!
New to the forum and it seems great! I’m planning on splitting my first board. It’s a first generation K2 Gyrator so LOADS of rocker. Will this become a problem? I get that skinning on hardpack will not be so great but that’s not really what the board is made for either. This will be used for Pow.

Read a thread from a while back when someone had splitted a Gyrator and had some problems with the board cracking where the touringbracket was placed. Didn’t really understand why this problem occurred though? They were talking about the rocker giving some weird pressure to the board while skinning. Though there is no rocker between the bindings only on the outside of them on the gyrator so I can’t really see the problem.

Anyway, as I said I’m about to split the board and I’ve measured it up and put some tape on it. Still waiting for the DIY kit to come since I ordered it from the other side of the pond and I live in Sweden.

So here comes the questions:
How does it work with mounting the clips etc on this board since the core gets thinner the further it goes from the middle of the board? I know that all boards are like this. But this one is a lot thinner then my other boards.
Should I split the Gyrator or is it a bad idea?
Any tips or tricks that I can use while splitting the board? Will probably use a circular saw when splitting it. I’ve seen the videos on youtube and read a lot about it on this forum, I’m just wondering what the usual rookie mistakes are so I don’t make them:)

Cheers
Chris

Post subject: Re: Splitting a Gyrator 168, advice please
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:25 pm 

PowderSwede wrote:
Hi there!
New to the forum and it seems great! I’m planning on splitting my first board. It’s a first generation K2 Gyrator so LOADS of rocker. Will this become a problem? I get that skinning on hardpack will not be so great but that’s not really what the board is made for either. This will be used for Pow.

Read a thread from a while back when someone had splitted a Gyrator and had some problems with the board cracking where the touringbracket was placed. Didn’t really understand why this problem occurred though? They were talking about the rocker giving some weird pressure to the board while skinning. Though there is no rocker between the bindings only on the outside of them on the gyrator so I can’t really see the problem.

Anyway, as I said I’m about to split the board and I’ve measured it up and put some tape on it. Still waiting for the DIY kit to come since I ordered it from the other side of the pond and I live in Sweden.

How does it work with mounting the clips etc on this board since the base gets shallower the further it goes from the middle of the board?
I don't understand the sentence above. Are you talking about the core thickness changing? If you like the board split it! It'll skin fine. I put the sticker for the chinese clips on wrong so check that. On the touring brackets too much glass gets removed to accomodate the flange of the insert. I'd do anything to not make 3/4 inch holes in the glass.

Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:40 pm 

Tjana grabben, valkommen! Forlat, inge svenska keyboard pa jobbet... aka du skidor i Are? Finns det mycket sno dar nu?

Seems like lots of peeps have good luck with the water jet cutting, you may try to hunt one of those down in Sweden. My board has plenty of rocker and you shouldn't have any trouble (except with finding pow in Sweden... :lol: ) , just use split crampons if you start slipping.

Lycka till! Jefe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:45 pm 

Huck Pitueee wrote:
PowderSwede wrote:

How does it work with mounting the clips etc on this board since the base gets shallower the further it goes from the middle of the board?
I don't understand the sentence above. Are you talking about the core thickness changing? If you like the board split it! It'll skin fine. I put the sticker for the chinese clips on wrong so check that. On the touring brackets too much glass gets removed to accomodate the flange of the insert. I'd do anything to not make 3/4 inch holes in the glass.

Cheers
Chris

That is excacly what I'm talking about. The board is about 1 cm thick in the middle and at the tips its about 3-4mm. This transaction from thick to thing is made gradually over the board.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:47 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Tjana grabben, valkommen! Forlat, inge svenska keyboard pa jobbet... aka du skidor i Are? Finns det mycket sno dar nu?

Seems like lots of peeps have good luck with the water jet cutting, you may try to hunt one of those down in Sweden. My board has plenty of rocker and you shouldn't have any trouble (except with finding pow in Sweden... :lol: ) , just use split crampons if you start slipping.

Lycka till! Jefe

Haha, some great swedish!
I actually live in the very south of sweden so we dont really ahve any mountains. It's about the same distance to the alpes as to Åre from where I live so I do most of my boarding in the Alpes.
cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:49 pm 

Nice, I lived in Malmo and Lund for a while with the wife. I think I like CPH more than Stockholm anyway, so it's nice to be in the south...

I agree, the alps are a better choice for the big mountain riding.

Have fun with the splitting, post pics and let us know how it turns out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:28 pm 

The split kit parts are sized for your average board. So the thickness changes are planned for. I nip off the giant fangs on the inserts and leave a little for grip. Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:58 am 

I agree with HP, for touring brackets you could cut off all but a little like 3 mm of flange from the t NUTs that would just point to the nose and tail of the board leaving the t nut only as wide as the barrel in the toe to heelside direction. this would leave a lot more fiberglass undisturbed on the base of the board for more strength. You could router out the countersink by hand or get crafty with a small chisel. Or you could drill two extra holes in your touring bracket, give it 5 ski screws and see how long it holds-if you don't tele you board in split mode.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 pm 

I have a Gyrator 158 with the V rocker that was my first splitboard. There is a honeycomb layer between the bolts just above the base that we discovered when we cut the board. We heated epoxy and dripped it into the exposed holes to completely seal and give it some strength. It worked great but the V rocker profile and the touring bracket being located in the bottom the V seem to direct the forces there and after a lot of spring touring over sun cups etc one of the skis wood cores above the honeycomb layer cracked in a T shape. It's still great on pow days but the super rocker and the honeycomb made it a little less durable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:03 pm 

like one of these? (dont worry, the bindings arent really mounted like that)