Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: overnight pack options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 pm 

The golite jam has worked for me on a couple trans sierra tours. It can hold A frame or snowboard style and clocks in under 2 lbs. I think this is right around 50L.

This is from the end of a 5ish day tour where everything easily fit inside.

There are a couple pics from earlier in the trip when I had a couple things outside. I really try to avoid having stuff outside the pack. No boy scout style.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8880&hilit=monarch

For hut trips it depends on the hut, but in general you can usually get away w/ something smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm 

fondled the dakine guide today. felt pretty good. think i'm going to go with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 pm 

Osprey Variant 52 here for overnights. Lightweight, well made, carries well when overloaded, and compresses down fine for the leaving camp/hut on a day trip. Bomber split carry in A-frame mode. This pack also comes at a decent price. Would love to try a Cliogear Dyneema, but would rather buy a new split for the price.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:17 pm 

I bought a Cilo Gear 45L pack and shovel pocket on Friday after putting in a 10 mile day and with my 13 year old REI pack. I got back out with it on Saturday for an easy hike (~3 miles) and then for a full day yesterday (8 miles, 3000 vert feet) and couldn't be happier. It has plenty of room for overnighters in the winter and can be collapsed down to about 22L for day trips. I don't think I'll be able to carry my board A-frame very well without a full bag but it doesn't matter because I found a bomber way to carry the board between the shovel pocket and the pack body. I can put the skis together strapped base to base with voile straps and then strap that to the pack with the pocket with the bindings sticking out either side. It carries high enough that I don't kick it and I've never had a more stable pack. I know that they carry skis A-frame style well enough too since one of the guys I was out with on Friday was carrying one that way.

It was an expensive pack but very worth it for long days. I also like that the pack was stitched in Portland from a small company.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 am 

Black Diamond Mission 75. A-frame carry; crampon pouch; water pouch; otherwise light, bomber, minimalist and roomy.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 pm 

barrows wrote:
Osprey Variant 52 here for overnights. Lightweight, well made, carries well when overloaded, and compresses down fine for the leaving camp/hut on a day trip. Bomber split carry in A-frame mode. This pack also comes at a decent price. Would love to try a Cliogear Dyneema, but would rather buy a new split for the price.

I was looking at this pack when you go overnight you tenting? snowcave? I have a kode 38 but I dont know how people cand do overnights and not hang lots of stuff on the outside. there is no way I could carry camp clothes, bivy sack , sleeping bag, stove etc in a kode 38

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:35 pm 

kaston wrote:
fondled the dakine guide today. felt pretty good. think i'm going to go with it.

I'm a big fan of my Dakine guide as well, don't think you can go wrong for the price. I also have a BCA stash 40 which is pretty sweet as well, but makes me appreciate some of the snowboard/split specific feature of the guide.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 am 

sdmarkus wrote:
kaston wrote:

I'm a big fan of my Dakine guide as well, don't think you can go wrong for the price. I also have a BCA stash 40 which is pretty sweet as well, but makes me appreciate some of the snowboard/split specific feature of the guide.

Good choice I have the Guide also and it can really pack down for day trips out of the hut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:08 am 

REI Pinnacle 50. best pack ever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm 

Mystery Ranch Big Sky http://www.mysteryranch.com/recreation/ ... g-sky-pack
Does ski and board carry mode quite well, and also compresses down very well. I do most day touring with it as well as overnight stuff. It's the most durable and comfortable pack I've ever owned. I can't say enough about how much happier I've been with it over the Kode.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:12 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
Mystery Ranch Big Sky http://www.mysteryranch.com/recreation/ ... g-sky-pack
Does ski and board carry mode quite well, and also compresses down very well. I do most day touring with it as well as overnight stuff. It's the most durable and comfortable pack I've ever owned. I can't say enough about how much happier I've been with it over the Kode.

Yeah baby another Mystery Ranch pack lover! I own the same pack and love it too. I use it for everything up to a weekend even in winter with my wife. :rock:

I would love to get a bigger pack of theirs for longer outtings. I still have a good Osprey Aether 85, before they stopped making them that big because the suspension just can't handle that volume. It hasn't been used in literally years because I figure out how to pack enough shit on the MR or is that I don't get out enough on long trips?

Either way I firmly believe the price is worth the quality.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm 

I find the straps on my guide way too flimsy to support any sort of load - if you've got it stuffed full, it ain't comfy.

Anyone know a similar sized (55-60L) pack that has legit snowboard carry?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:46 pm 

The 45L Cilo Gear pack I have comes in a bigger version and based on how well mine carried a snowboard I'm sure that the bigger one would carry very well too. Just make sure to get the shovel pocket.