Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boot Pack Out?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:23 pm 

I have a pair of Salomon Malamute boots (size US 8 but like most say they run large as my foot is typically a 9). I have had these for about 4 seasons and the 1st season was strictly at the resort and then with 2nd - 4th a mix of backcountry skining up and resort boarding. Overall I love the boot. I just moved back to Colorado from Utah and immediately my last two days in the backcountry my feet have become really cold. I never seemed to have this issue before. My buddy told me they are probably "packed" out and therefore not insulating that well anymore. That may be true but I find it out it coincides with my move to CO as it so far has been fairly colder here in CO than UT. Not so cold though that I would expect cold feet on a 1.5 hour climb. Either way that is what has happend so I am trying to figure out what to do before just buying a new pair of boots. I did change my socks to a set of PHD Smartwool compression socks so that could be it as well. I will bail on those socks next time out and I am getting some custom fit insoles to see if that improves anything. Any advice or thoughts on my cold feet?

Thanks

Dale

Post subject: Re: Boot Pack Out?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 pm 

I'm not familiar with the socks your wearing but "compression" sounds like it may cut off some degree of circulation. If that's the case, your feet will get cold.

If the boots are packed out, they'll fit sloppy with your regular sock. If the new sock is meant to make up for the slop, then you may be looking at pack out. Then again, it may be a combination of the two or some other variable entirely ... sweaty feet perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:28 pm 

Compression socks are for keeping blood from pooling in your calves and muscle recovery, probably not advisable in an over the calf boot of any kind.
With four seasons on your boots its probably time for new ones. Especially considering (most if not all) soft boots were never designed to be toured in all day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:34 pm 

Thanks, I will try my previous set up of just standard socks and long johns and see if I am back to warm feet.

Surprising about the compression socks though. They are heavily adverstised in Backcountry for what I thought be exactly what we are all doing. Poor choice of advertising if they are not designed for over the calf boots.

We will see.

Thanks for the thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:19 am 

FWIW - I typically run very warm however I find that anything "compression" doesn't work for me in the winter. I used to wear an underarmour shirt as a wicking base layer and find that when the temp drops, I get cold regardless of layers on top. I found the same to be true with the UA compression shorts...cold junk sucks. Stuka is right about circulation. Since swapping out to a regular fitting merino wool pair of boxers and t-shirt I find myself wearing additional layers less and staying warmer in colder temps. Compression gear doesn't allow any air to be trapped next to your skin to be warmed by your body. It also keeps sweat that has been wicked directly against your skin. Could be the same deal with your feet.

I just got rid of an old pair of soloman boots (similar to malamutes) and they were packed out for sure...probably 6 or 7 years old, however they never seemed to lose the ability to hold heat.

Also, if you find that the colder temps you're riding in do keep your feet chilly, try a super light liner sock (marino wool works for me) combined with a regular riding sock over top. Layering feet this way helps me when I'm ice climbing below -20c. On longer tours, consider bringing a second set of socks if you think that moisture is the issue.

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:06 pm 

Unless you are planning on the equivalent of splitboard randonee racing you probably don't need compression apparel. It serves a purpose but it is not to keep you warm... :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:09 pm 

I don't think it is the compression that is the issue. the PHD compressions socks aren't really that tight compared to other brands(plus they are mainly wool). I think the issue is how thin they are. Or at least the ones that i've seen. In my opinion i think the compression in these socks would be fine for splitboarding, but if your boots are packing out and and you changed to a thinner sock. I would try putting a normal midweight wool sock over the compression socks and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm 

Sorry for the thread drift..... I love smartwool running socks, but the way you guys are describing the socks in question leads me to believe someone in SW's marketing dept is a complete dumbfuck.... These simply sound like thin tall socks, not compression wear... The reason I'm making such a big deal out of it is real compression wear could potentially fuck you up while touring if you don't know how or why to use it....
:soapbox: :deadhorse: :banghead: :guinness: :doobie: :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm 

http://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-phd-graduated-compression-light-sock

total thread drift

i'm not sure if these are the afore mentioned socks but I would guess so. I like the socks, but as far as compression goes, not like cw-x stuff.