Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:50 am 

Okay I stand corrected, sorry.

In the pics of the black boot, the toe "lip" looks extremely short as if that boot would only work in a dynafit binding on no other (ski) binding. I used to have a pair of Raichle hardboots and the toe and heel segments for the bindings were just much longer than on those Dynafits. Good to know that that is not the case. I did let a similar pair on the bay go 'cause of my concerns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 am 

If you were refering to the TLT 4 pics i kinda agree with you there but have known people to use that boot as well with no issues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:43 pm 

yeah I was refering to those black TLT 4 lite boots. Thats why I quoted the post befor. mybe I shouldn't have removed th epics from the post....

anyway, those look borderline to me and might not work with ALL plate bindings.

chewie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:40 pm 

My TLT 4s work great with a plate binding. I have the Bomber Splitboard binding. The toe piece has kind of worked itself a little deeper into the plastic over a few years too, retains the boot well. BUT, what I really want to know is, whether the thick wire bail and toe retainer on the sidewinder holds the TLT 5 Mountain boot as well... the TLT 5s look that they might be less secure with this combo. Anyone tried them out? I'm holding off buying until I hear or can try them out myself. Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:54 pm 

Vapor Wrote: "This is a few pics of the setup. I fabbed a plate to go over the hole to allow forward flex and added a stop to limit backward flex in ride mode as well as to set the forward boot angle."

Vapor...There are a lot of incredibly interesting mods on this boot and binding set up. Great job!

Do you think the fabricated stop is a worthwhile modification of the boot rather than just elongating the "ski mode" plate?
How well does your top buckle function now that you have fabbed a plate to go over the hole where the buckle locks in to the cuff?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:42 pm 

Wasatch_Don wrote:
As an update, I've been using these with some Bomber Sidewinder bindings and they are working well so far. They don't feel like they will twist in the binding or pull out at all.

I have next week off of work and will continue to stress them but so far so good.

he likes!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:44 pm 

Sog-Nar wrote:
Vapor Wrote: "This is a few pics of the setup. I fabbed a plate to go over the hole to allow forward flex and added a stop to limit backward flex in ride mode as well as to set the forward boot angle."

Vapor...There are a lot of incredibly interesting mods on this boot and binding set up. Great job!

Do you think the fabricated stop is a worthwhile modification of the boot rather than just elongating the "ski mode" plate?
How well does your top buckle function now that you have fabbed a plate to go over the hole where the buckle locks in to the cuff?

The top buckle snaps back on the plate and works perfectly. I didn,t go with just elongating the hole because i wanted my boots to have further travel so to speak.It would of been cutting into the rivets in the aluminum plate if i went that route.
I made the plate over the hole a bit short so the heel stop is needed in my case to stop the pin from the buckle going over the edge and locking on top of the plate. I might make up a set of longer plates and try it out with the heel stops unlocked in deep powder for that noboarding surfy feel. On settled icy stuff theyre well worth the effort to make up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 pm 

+1 wow!
lighter, better range of motion.... higher further faster!
a bit narrow in the last but a good footbed made all the difference for my fat forefoot.
i went a bit further than some of the posts here, to get more fwd lean, i thot bout goin all the way but then i think id need to use the tongue for support on the fwd flex and i didnt find the tongue super smooth on transitions.... esp when i fergot it in the car.
rivet? what rivet!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 pm 

nice!! i bet will see a few of these boots on splits this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:36 am 

Barrows:
Quote:
Yup. I would not feel safe using Bomber bindings or Cateks with this boot because of the their oversize bail wires. I suspect one could twist out of the binding.
Of course, it would be sort of pointless to use such a lightweight boot with such an overbuilt/heavy binding. I use Burton Race Plate toe and heel pieces direct mounted to the Voile Slider, and they are totally secure with this boot, as well as being superlight, and very low to the board. This is a fantastic set up

Just want to point out that the Bomber Sidewinder bindings are secure, as I took a three cartwheel over the "handle bars" ride, when forward momentum was stop by a large rock in deep snow on a 3O + degree slope last spring. Basically I severely sprained my ankle (dislocated my fibula from my ankle) and bent the voile slider plate, but remained locked in the Sidewinders (while wearing stock Scarpa F1s)!

I continue to use both the Bomber Sidewinders (for splitboarding) and Burton Race-Plates Bindings (for on-piste). I have broken the toe bail on the Burton-race plate binding.

Barrows:
Quote:
Of course, it would be sort of pointless to use such a lightweight boot with such an overbuilt/heavy binding

I like the Sidewinders for their dampening and lateral flex, but in hindsight, I agree with you that a lightweight plate binding is the way to go for splitboarding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 am 

POW D: I am a little confused about your "test"-my point is that the TLT5 might not be secure in bindings with very thick bails, like the Bombers and Cateks, because the toe and heel welts on the TLT5s are not DIN standard, and are offer a lot less area for support of the bails, unlike the Scarpa boot you are referencing. My point was never to suggest that Bombers could be insecure with a boot using a standard DIN toe and heel welt. My recommendation with the TLT5 is to use a binding with thinner bails for a secure connection.

Has anyone here replaced the stock liner on the TLT5? I had problems with my liners last year: skinning on the flats resulted in some serious blisters/abrasions from the "flex window" sewn into the achilles area on the liner. My plan is to get an Intuition Freeride liner molded to mine in the near future (this should save a couple of ounces over the stitched stock liner as well).

Mark (Karkis): Any problems with the lean adjuster without the top rivet? I doubt it, and wanted to go as far as you have, but was a little hesitant to do so-seems the two rivets below should be adequate though. Right now my slot is about 1/3 of the way through the top rivet. I am also considering drilling out all the rivets, and making a new lean adjuster, allowing for a little more rearward support (more lean) and using some small (M4) machine bolts to hold it in place. But first I will mold a new liner, and encourage a little more lean during the mold by leaning forward aggressively during the molding process.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 am 

For those of you expanding the slot the lean adjuster (or in vapor's case, blocking it off) to give softer forward flex, are you still riding without the removable tongue?

Has anyone done any mods to soften the lateral flex?

Thanks, Buell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:49 am 

I ride without the removable tongue: note that the TLT5 still has a (very flexible) fixed tongue in place. I have cut down the medial side of the cuff to improve medial flex, but just a little bit (maybe a .25" or so); without the stiff tongue, and with the top cuff just snugged up (not cranked down) and with the power strap removed, I find plenty of medial and lateral flex. My bindings also have a little give, in that the bails are a little springy.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next