Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BD Compactor Poles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 pm 

Black Diamond is introducing their Compactor Poles for backcountry use. They are light (21 oz) and compact WAY down to 16 inches :bananas: . As a comparison the BD Expedition poles compact down to 24 inches. This means 1) less likelihood of getting stabbed by a pole during a fall on the way down, and 2) they can be more easily carried for resort skiing to help those long traveses :cry: (think Heavenly).

Has anyone tried these things out yet (gear testing or otherwise)?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: BD Compactor Poles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm 

I got mine yesterday (early Xmas gift). I had to take a peak and they are defiantly compact and have a nice fit and finish. Tiltedworld and I were talking about them so I asked my bro for them. I hope to try them soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 am 

Post some pics of those suckers! How much adjustment can you really get out of them? Are they sturdy or do they buckle under weight?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:30 am 

I have the trekking version and they are as strong as a pole needs to be... I've bent the lowers on my expeditions by falling during split skiing and I'd expect the same from the compactor. As long as one uses them normally (e.g.. no clearing dead tree limbs, prying, digging, etc..) they should be fine.... But like the expeditions or any other pole, one awkward fall and aluminum is going to bend or snap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:42 am 

once your lowers become so beat up/bent that they start to lose function you can order individual pole sections from BD at fairly reasonable prices.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 am 

I was intrigued by these and played with a set in my local shop the other day. For comparison I currently use BD Contour Eliptical Compact poles (fantastic). The compactors do indeed fold down very small. However that is only when the uppermost section where you have length adjustment is in its shortest setting (115 in this case). The pole did not seem nearly so tiny when I adjusted it longer and then folded it. And that is sort of the point. You don't have to change the length prior to folding, which is convenient, but if you want the length savings you need to go the extra step. I do love the set and forget nature of them though. They "remember" you last length when you shake them out and snap them straight. That's cool, but they aren't a single unit when folded. There are lots of floppy parts. Also, they are heavier than my current poles, and the weight is concentrated lower in the shaft, so as swing weight I noticed it a lot more. They are also flexier than my poles. And I didn't like the strap adjustment (ladder lock buckle) as much.

Anyway, I was tempted to get a set until I spent some time with them. If folded size were the overriding factor, I would get a set. There were too many downsides for me though.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:51 am 

My :twocents:
The BD Compactor poles seem like they could be great for sidecountry and new splitters but speaking from experience....when the :shit: you're going to wish you had dual whippets! :)

They're just so much more functional, comfortable, and SAFE. Granted you'll need to buy 2 whippets and another set of their trail poles to make a short, 3 section collapsible version (the 2 section whippet is too long). Think of it as an investment in the sport you're committing to and remember that good poles (BD) will last you years....you'll often replace your split a couple times before you need new poles.

Also while packability is critical when it comes to poles...weight is not. I'm a weight weenie as much as the next guy but if you're looking to shave weight....look other places than your poles. Shave it off your board/bindings and learn to just take less shit with you (common error among new splitters). You also don't want to sacrifice strength for a few ounces when it comes to poles.

Some other threads on the topic.

One Whippet or Two
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12002

Whippet 3 section mod
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9041&p=65995&hilit=whippet#p65995

And of course...once you've made up your mind I've made it real easy to get them right here: :)

Splitboard Shop - Approach Tools
http://www.splitboard.com/index.php/sho ... oach-poles

:thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 pm 

FWIW - I've been intrigued by the whippet models, but really haven't felt the need to purchase them yet. Maybe it's because my backcountry time is a third to half of my total riding days, but if I know there's a possibility the shit was going to hit the fan the ice ax is usually with me.

I like the idea of the whippets, but I can't conceive why BD doesn't just make this a modular option for all their poles. Design a grip that allows the whippet to slide on and off as conditions require. I'd be all over that like a fly on poop.

Today I am on Life Link poles that have been through a lot, but haven't failed me yet. They where the model that allows the two lowers to screw together with a shorter section to produce a smaller probe. I got them when I first ventured into the backcountry, but quickly decided to carry a dedicated full size probe. They don't pack down as small as the expeditions, so the compactor looks like a decent upgrade option. I end up taking my wife's Leki 3-section poles because they pack smaller when that is an option.

All poles will bend if you fall on them, I was more concerned with the flex when really leaning on them in 4wd mode. I wouldn't like them as much if they would fold under that type of stress.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 pm 

Did the mod on the carbon version and am happy with the stiffness as well as dropping just under a pound off my current expedition poles. nice to have options.
Where these poles shine is on the outrack that is flat/rolling or benches that your skier friends love to take you into.easy to carry and extend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:39 pm 

Bcrider those look great. I figured anything is better than the telescoping da kine poles I got. Once I am more proficient I'd love to hear more about those ones you made.

I got a BD snow saw too but the compactor poles aren't backwards compatible :-(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 am 

tiltedworld wrote:
Post some pics of those suckers! How much adjustment can you really get out of them? Are they sturdy or do they buckle under weight?

See pics below. They have adjustment as specified, but the adjustment is quick as Philip points out. They are somewhat sturdy, but seem much better than my Da Kine telescoping poles which seem like they may slip, which is exactly why I wanted to get these to give them a try. At least with the compactor pole if they do slip on the flip lock, it is 20cm max instead of much more! From what I have seen so far, they look like a great pole, but those whipets that bcrider put up look really great if you have been into splitboarding for a long time, and since I am fairly new, these compactor poles seem great!
Traditional Poles in bag
Compactor Poles in bag
Side by side
The compactor pole is not backwards compatible with their snowsaw :thumbsdown:
compact:
Extended
uppershaft-locking mechanism
Detail of grip - and skateboard deck grip tape
Basket holder
Z compact
Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 pm 

fitit wrote:
Bcrider those look great. I figured anything is better than the telescoping da kine poles I got. Once I am more proficient I'd love to hear more about those ones you made.

That pic is HikeforTurn's mod. :)
Mine are the older version but the same thing. Prolly a pic in the forum somewhere.

The Compactors seem sorta cool but a couple things would sorta drive me nuts personaly. (not meant to discourage you or make you regret your purchase!)

1. Since they dont telescope it's a messier package overall. Granted they are shorter and all connected, you've still got 6 sections of pole on the pack as opposed to a nice 'n tidy 2. They almost look too short to lash to some packs as well which makes you wonder if BD planed for them to be stored in the pack (potentially getting the contents wet).

2. Push button? Really? No thank you. FlickLocks 4 life!

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:19 pm 

While I dislike the push button I really dig these poles. They are fast to work with and I love that you can put them in your pack.

I have never used a whippet but could see there use for sure but I prefer a ice axe as I feel they would be useless if you had to self arrest!