Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fernie in Dec.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:06 am 

I'll be in Fernie mid-Dec. & would love to meet-up w other splitters or just get good info on backcountry nearby. I'm chaperoning a bunch of kids that just ride the resort but I'd love to get some bc riding in. Any info would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:25 pm 

fernie is sweet if you go there at the right time. I've only been there in shitty conditions, but it reminds me a lot of baker except with fewer people. If you buy lift tickets there's good touring off the top of white pass quad in currie bowl and in cedar/lizard/fish bowls. There are a few more areas N/S of the area as well which you could probably traverse over to.

I've heard rumors about Crowsnest pass, but nothing definitive. What dates will you be there? I might consider dropping by on my way out west if the timing is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:27 pm 

I'm not positive yet but probably Dec. 14th-18th. Thanks for the info Nomad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:33 am 

Info on BC in Fernie? Leaving on Wed-14th.
Debating w/myself whether to take my split or not. 7 teenagers + me doesn't leave any room for xtra gear so I only get to take 1 board. Is there decent bc from the lifts at Fernie & would a person be better off to access w/a split or boot-pack? I almost have to be on/near the ski area since I am the chaperone for this adventure but I'm hardly stuck to my "duties" so going into bc - if accessible - is an option.
Any beta/info would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:16 pm 

lewmt,
Plenty of bc directly accessible from the resort. Fish Bowl to the north and Mongolia bowl to the south. You can also hike up to Polar Peak and descend back into the resort. I'd say just bring your solid board if you can't dedicate much time to touring. You'll have to traverse a bit more to access the good stuff, but it's not that bad - I do it every season.

I'll be up at my place for February and part of March. I don't own a splitboard yet, but will be doing some serious looking into buying one. Hence, the reason I stumbled upon this site. :)

PM me if you have time and I can give you some other places to go inbounds that are really, really good.

Bob