Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lib tech t.rice split beta needed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:02 pm 

Anyone actually ridden one. Interested in a new split deck. Been riding a non rocker kyber for the last 5 yrs.

I am a little worried about skinning with the c2 banana rocker

Post subject: Re: Lib tech t.rice split beta needed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 am 

Skinning is fine. Never rode the board, but I have a buddy who skins up things on full reverse camber (some stuff easier then me), so c2 should be just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:57 am 

In powder, it's actually easier skinning with reverse camber. The tips pop up.

The only place I found any reduction in grip was on a really icy sun baked slope in spring. Once. It would have been a problem on a regular camber board too, but I feel like I probably would have had an easier time. That's about it. You want to be carrying crampons when conditions are like that regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hey man so I rode this years T Rice quite a bit last year so maybe I can help. It wasn't the slightest of a issue skinning until I started getting on hillish terrain where there was alot of ups and downs where I couldn't lean to far back (while going downhill) or the board would slip out on me.

As for the ride I had never been on a Lib before so it took a while to get used to but I joked that I had 15 BIG lines I took it down and out of those I had it dialed about 5 times and it was such a blast to ride. Once you get used to it and Mervins style it is a great board!

Hope this helps
Kyle

Oh and it slays in steep technical corn!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 pm 

I got to demo this years t rice split at the Baker Splitfest. I enjoyed my day even though conditions and my health were sub par

I noticed almost no difference skinning compared to my diy split (162 Option Vinson, normal camber) until, as kyle mentioned, it came to split skiing. I had them slip out from under me once or twice going down hill. It wasn't a deal breaker, I just wasn't prepared or used to them at that point, after I figured out how to ski em, I didn't have any issues.

As far as the board itself rode, it was great. Since my previous solid was a lib skunk banana, and having spent a test day on a lib skunk c2 board, I was able to ride fairly comfortably on the one run I took that day. C2 boards take a little time to get used to, and I personally prefer the Rossignol/Jones board profiles over c2. I would suggest riding a solid first before dropping the coin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:38 pm 

On my recent trip into the Garden of Eden (New Zealand glacial snowfields) I organised a demo brand spankers T.rice 164 split to take along. Kitted up with Blaze bindings and LT's. Bit longer than I needed so it was ridden mostly by a fella Nick. Once we got it setup right he loved it, we were in anything from soft spring to hard packed and it skinned on that all fine. I'll see if I can get Nick to post a proper review ok. Cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 am 

I have the T.Rice split with the Karakoram set up. i have been geting out a few times this year and all i can say is this board is very close to exactly what i want out of a board, solid or split. I ride the Lib Tech Skunk ape as a solid and i would rather have the skunk split because it is a bit wider and bigger. As soon as Lib makes a Skunk APe, regular camber split i will get one. Untill then, i am very happy with this set up. both up and down the hill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:52 am 

I have a T.Rice split with K'rams and have been happy with the set up. The only downside I've experienced is I find the rocker point directly under the binding makes for some squirrelly skiing on hard pack but that's going to be the same on any mid-rockered board...yes, I've skiied out from Terminal lake to the upper lot at Mt Baker ski area 2 times over the weekend and it's faster than scooching out in ride mode. I also find that I have to consciencely lean back to set the tail of the ski on hard packed climbs. I'm not sure how much of a difference this is compared to a cambered board.

My last 4 boards have been Libs and they are a lot of fun to ride, I really don't notice much difference with this one other than the weight of the split hardware so if you like the way Libs ride I think you'll be happy on the T.Rice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 pm 

For those who are rocking the t. rice split, a couple questions for you:

* What size do you have?

* How do you have your stance setup, centered/set-back/etc.?

I have a 164 solid that I love, but I don't feel like I've found the sweet spot in mounting yet. Would like to check out the split this year but definitely want to figure out the mount first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:58 pm 

I have been doing fast laps at A Basin (it needs to snow in Co!)the last few days on the 164.5 T.Rice split w Karakoram just to test it out in all conditions. The board is as good as my solid even on hard pack groomers. My stance is about 1/2'' set back and works great for me. I highly suggest the board and the K binders, especially if you already like the Lib Tech boards. I havnt had any issues with the board in tour mode and can even make a somewhat controlled ski turn in tour mode. I would still rather have a regular cambered skunk ape 167.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:32 pm 

snownskate wrote:

* What size do you have?

I have a 164 solid that I love, but I don't feel like I've found the sweet spot in mounting yet. Would like to check out the split this year but definitely want to figure out the mount first.

I have the 164.5 with the stance set back ~1" at ~+24/-6 and 23" wide. My current solid board is a 160 Jaime Phoenix with the same stance. I've found that I can drive the heel edge a lot harder with my front foot further forward but then I end up with the wide stance to keep my weight back of center. I ride switch a fair bit on both my solid and my split so I wouldn't want to go any further back than that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:58 pm 

The Travis Rice is really a sweet board though

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:14 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
snownskate wrote:

* What size do you have?

I have the 164.5 with the stance set back ~1" at ~+24/-6 and 23" wide. My current solid board is a 160 Jaime Phoenix with the same stance. I've found that I can drive the heel edge a lot harder with my front foot further forward but then I end up with the wide stance to keep my weight back of center. I ride switch a fair bit on both my solid and my split so I wouldn't want to go any further back than that.

I have the 161.5 my stance is 23" wide too. But how to know how set back the distance is?
I had trouble yesterday in so deep powder and feel like moving my stance back more.
Any advices?