Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Option Joni Makinen DIY Split
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 pm 

I recently finished my second DIY split project over the long weekend, a 164 cm Option Joni Makinen. I haven't ridden this board in a couple of years, but used to love it in the powder, so I figured I'd turn it into a swallow split for pow riding. I cut the board using a circular saw with a carbide tipped blade and metal straight edge. Before the cut, I measured several times to make sure everything was good, and placed some masking tape along the topsheet to keep it in good condition. I also cut through the metal edge with a hacksaw so the tip and tail didn't blow out. The cut came out smooth - here's a photo of the board post cut...

Next, I used a jigsaw to cut out a portion of the tail to make it a mini "swallowtail." This was rather easy, but I wouldn't want to use a jigsaw for a bigger cut. I sanded the cut edges with some fine grit sand paper, then set to work building the board over the last week. I ordered some of the supplies from Voile under the spare parts, splitboard page. Some of the stuff, like the touring brackets, I had lying around my garage, so I didn't need the split kit. Also, I went with the Karakoram board clips and tip clips.

The good thing about building the board over a couple of days was it gave me a chance to drink a different beer each night :guinness: I drilled the holes for the Karakoram clips first, then used a wood paddle bit on the base for the screws. The board went back together nicely with masking tape along the cut and the Voile sticker template. Remember to center punch the holes prior to drilling.....

Next, I drilled the holes for the touring brackets and heel lifters, again using the templates from Voile....

Counter sinking the holes on the base of the board came next to prepare for the t-nuts....It's always fun to drill on your board and get material all over the place...

The next step in the project was to align the pucks for my binding stance. I ride goofy and duck, so I used the template stickers from Voile, placing the rear foot on the regular side to account for my duck stance. The new Voile pucks have 2 holes per puck, compared to 4 holes for the old pucks, which makes for less holes in your board - always a good thing. Counter sinking the holes on the base of the board proved much easier then when I did the same thing on my DIY Burton Custom, as the regular hole pattern on the Option didn't interfere with the t-nuts, so I didn't have to drill out any metal inserts :D After all the holes were drilled out, I used 655-K West Systems two part epoxy to coat the exposed wood before hammering the t-nuts into place. Here's a shot of the board with the t-nuts installed on one ski...

Once the t-nuts were in, I put my Spark Blazes on the board to see how they fit, and it was near perfect, though I had to sand one of the pucks just a little bit for the pin to fit smoothly. I also mounted the heel lifters and touring brackets. Though I center punched all my holes and drilled straight, one of the holes on the touring bracket was offset by about 1/8 inch. This was enough that I couldn't mount my Spark LT brackets, but I had no problems with the regular Voile touring brackets. The holes on the Spark LT brackets are quite small, as everything is machined down to the minimum to ensure the utmost in weight savings. No worries, I'll use the LT's on my factory board and other DIY, and the Voile's will be more than capable on this board. If I split another board however, I'll definitely pay a bit more attention to this if I plan on using LT brackets. Here's a shot of my base with all the holes drilled out, prior to pounding in the t-nuts....

I then drilled the holes for the Karakoram tip clips on the nose. With the swallow, I didn't need one at the tail. I used a screw driver and hammer to roll the rivet which was a major PITA. There must be a better way to do this, but it ended up working for me, it just took awhile. I'd think this would be the most trivial part of building a split, but it ended up being the most challenging for me :doobie: When that task was complete, I filled in all the base holes with metal p-tex using a heat iron. The excess was easy to scrape away with a razor blade, and for a finishing touch, I melted regular p-tex over the hole and scraped it with the razor. Note, add the p-tex after you mount the hardware, or you'll end up redoing several of the holes like I did. Here's a shot of how I patched the base with the heat iron an metal binding p-tex...

After this, I applied epoxy to the cut edge to seal the wood core from moisture, using the same mix as for the base. Placing tape along the base of the board allowed any excess epoxy to collect on the tape. Lastly, I added the Karakoram board clips to complete the project. Most people add these first, but I just used tape and added these at the end (I did check my drill job though initially to make sure all was well). Finally, I cleaned the base with a citrus solution, added the Spark Burners, and it's ready to ride! Here's a pic of the board complete again...

And of course, here's a shot of the setup in tour mode...

The base turned out well too....it looks better given that the base of the board was mostly black to begin with....

I'm stoked to ride this board again (I cut it two years ago, but finally decided to put it together recently). It's been a long time, but the board loves pow and I'm hoping that by adding a bit of a swallowtail it will enhance the ride in the soft stuff. Now, it just needs to start snowing again here in Oregon so I can get out and get some of the goods :clap:

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: Option Joni Makinen DIY Split
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm 

Nicely done!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm 

Love the ST stoke :rock:

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:01 pm 

Nice finish product! Nothing like that old board you forgotten about. In a new light ... if it ain't fun don't do it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 pm 

Hell ya!!!! nicely done.