Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark R&D Blaze or Burner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:48 am 

Hi, sorry of this has been done to death. I'm a newbie to splitting, I tried it last season and loved it, but I hated the junk I rented so I've just ordered my first board - a Burton Freebird - and now I'm looking for the bindings.

I normally ride a Rome Anthem with Burton Cartel bindings. From what I read a split specific binding is the way to go, so I need to buy something. I like a stiffer but not too stiff binding. I understand the Blaze is a little stiffer this season, so which would you recommend the Blaze LT or the Burner LT?

Thanks

Post subject: RE: Spark R&D Blaze or Burner
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:13 am 

Hey,

can someone please answer this guy, cuz I want to know aswell. What type of binding should I get for a Burton Freebird?

I advance

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Spark R&D Blaze or Burner
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:10 am 

+1 I've been watching this thread for any info as well... e.g., What does Spark consider a stiff/soft binding?
I ride Burton Triads on solid boards and plate bindings w/ Scapra F3 on the split last season... I'm looking to get Sparks to go with some Burton Imperial boots that are on the soft side of the stiffer Burton's...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 am 

If you have the extra $80 bucks then I say go for the burner. Better straps and a significantly stiffer highback. I have the blazes from last year but with a burner highback. If you prefer your highbacks on the stiffer side, the burner is the way to go. Personally, I would like it to be even stiffer but I'm used to carbon highbacks. The burton straps are a nice step up as well on the burners.

Last season, myself and others complained about the stiffness of the Blaze highbacks. Way to soft for my preferences. But others really preferred the softer highback. It's just a matter of preference and I think that it's awesome that Sparks is offering both options.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 pm 

I pretty much agree with everything Shredgnar said.

I ride the Burton Cartels on my resort board and love them. Last season, I tried the Blazes and wasn't thrilled with how soft they felt. This year, I upgraded with the Burner upgrade package and am much happier - they are quite a bit stiffer and ride really nice, definitely more like what I am used to for all mountain shredding...and I like the way they skin too! Everyone is different, but I don't think you'd regret getting the burners...and yeah, the highback on the burner is nice and could even be a bit stiffer, but I like a stiff binder!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:32 am 

Thanks for the advice guys.

@ stoudema - Would you say the Burners are around the same stiffness as Cartels, or are they a touch stiffer?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 am 

Off hand, I would say they are about the same stiffness, but honestly I don't notice much difference between them......I don't think the burners are stiffer than the cartels.....

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:10 pm 

The best way I can describe the difference, having never ridden burton binders, is this:

if you are looking for a good all-around binding, something responsive, but has some give for tweaks and freestyle type riding, the Blaze is perfect

If you like super stiff, super responsive, back country shred, big line charger bindings, the Burners are on the money. Basically if you always buy the stiffest binding from a company, that is the burner

iirc they upgraded the blaze straps/buckles this year too, so both have burton straps/buckles now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:33 pm 

B-P wrote:
iirc they upgraded the blaze straps/buckles this year too, so both have burton straps/buckles now

They just upgraded the ratchets on the Blaze to burton, not the straps. The Burner has burton straps and ratchets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:49 pm 

I just got Burner LTs and put in one long day on them, so take my input with a grain of salt... they are probably a 8/10 on the stiffness scale. I've certainly ridden stiffer. (Ride CADs)

The straps are not my fave; I'm not a huge fan of Burton bindings. I like the straps on my K2 formulas way more; I'm going to try to swap them. Burton ladders suck imho.

Where these bindings really shine is in tour mode. Super light and stable. I have not ridden the Blazes, but have heard that they feel more like a freestyle binding.

For tour mode I think they are a huge step up from almost anything else except maybe Karakorums.

I think you'll be happy with either, and probably will adapt to whatever you get over the first 10 times you're out... just my :twocents: