Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First DIY Split/dubbed practice, zoom out big pictures
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:52 pm 

Just finished my first split and I thought I would share some of my findings. The board is an 2007, true twin 155 Ride DH.

1st Lesson Learned: I thought I could get away with not buy manufactured wood for a straight edge; however, with my lack of skill saw experience combined with a less than smooth straight, my cut wasn't perfect. I should have found a waterjet.

I had read from another topic that the aerosol spar urethane,was the way to go. I'm happy with the results.

2nd Lesson learned: Bosh titanium countersink bits suck and trying to use a 3/8 bit is not smart, it went through the board before I could even react. I finally found the counter sink bit in the top of the picture that worked perfectly. This is about when I decided this was a practice run.

3rd Lesson Learned: I had read all about using a foster bit to counter sink t-nuts; however, I was having a hell of a time centering it. What I ended up doing was using the paddle bit to start it, then finished with the foster. Which saved my from more creative work with the dremel, I was running out of cutting wheels.

Also, anyone know how to get fiberglass out of your hands?

Post subject: Re: First DIY Split/dubbed practice, zoom out big pictures
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:00 am 

Use high-quality packaging tape from 3M or similar, and keep running your hands over fresh swaths of it. That can hurt, also don't touch anything sensitive like your eyes.

It doesn't look too horrible, at least you tried it on your own. YOu can get stop collars for your drill bits, but I am glad you found a good CCsink bit. I was wondering why people don't use holesaws first, then switch to fostner or blade bits?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:00 pm 

aw, that board will work just fine, you don't need a straight cut at all, tape the bottom (base side) of your mistake holes with some plastic tape, fill with epoxy mixed up with shredded fiberglass, and ride the hell out of that board this year! :thatrocks: You did 10 times better than that cat from Winter Park

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:07 pm 

Thanks for sharing! Your board should ride fine with that cut - just looks like a little mellow magnatraction without the metal edges:) I'm sure you'll be stoked!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm 

Not bad, now just think how sweet your next one will be. :rock: