Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Northern Vermont 11-12
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:43 am 

A thread for all those willing to post info on current snow conditions.

Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont 11-12
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:22 pm 

Northern Vermont 11/23/11. Happy Turkey Day!

Could not have asked for better snow!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:17 am 

Looks like warm temps and rain in the 5 day forecast. Sounds like we may loose all the snow we have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 pm 

the central spine of the Greens is back to brown and grey :banghead:
I got to cut my teeth just a little last week. there was about a foot on the grass @ Okemo in Ludlow so up i went. heavy wet glop, very suportive...very slooow!
The new K2 is awsome :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:46 pm 

happy december, things are slow to start again this season. we're currently stuck in a stubborn SW flow with a persistent trough in the west and ridge in the east. this is feeding us warm and moist air from the gulf and is forecast to continue thru most of this month. hopefully things will turn around quickly come the new year. it's another la nina year, so the moisture should be there but it will be another 'temperature game' this season, per usual. last year we SCORED, so fingers are crossed again.

until then, it's a waiting game.

to recap this season so far here in N. VT... wed nov 23 was a powder day, especially in central VT with over a foot at the unopened Sugarbush and MAd River. snowfall amounts dropped as youmoved north, with mansfield coming in around 8-10" of new for opening day. things melted off quickly post turkey day w/e, and the rain and temps came back up. last w/e dec 3rd seemed to have some new snow, but i was out of town and can't confirm. looks like some powder was had nonetheless.

it was close to 50 again today and pea soup on the mtn... but a slight moderation in temps towards norms are expected as our week progresses with snow showers on and off. stowe still hangs on w/ basically two trails top to bottom. no significant natural snow currently exists in the bc.

stand by for further updates w/ any change in conditions, be well all

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 am 

VTBC,
Just to confirm we got a couple of inches at higher elevation the weekend of the 3rd. Smuggs made it open Sunday and Monday for a few bombers and seeing old faces. However, Mother Nature has promptly shut that down. For now, it's back to the waiting game. Where do you go to do your weather forecasting? I've been familiarizing myself with the NOAA, NWS site for Burlington. It's really got a lot of information, but I'm trying to dissect it and make sense of it all.
:bow: > Snow Gods!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:38 am 

802smuggler wrote:
VTBC, Where do you go to do your weather forecasting? I've been familiarizing myself with the NOAA, NWS site for Burlington.

yeah 802, i check NWS BTV among others... esp their Mountain Wx link, Observer Obs, Area Discussion, etc. i'll send you a few other links later tonight.

we could see 4" new overnight tonight and early tomorrow (thur), w/ a colder NW wind @ 30-40mph. a dawn patrol skin might give you first tracks somewhere before their lifts spin. otherwise, should be fun for at least a couple hours in-bounds tomorrow.

we'll take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:09 am 

vtbackcountry wrote:
802smuggler wrote:
VTBC, Where do you go to do your weather forecasting? I've been familiarizing myself with the NOAA, NWS site for Burlington.

yeah 802, i check NWS BTV among others... esp their Mountain Wx link, Observer Obs, Area Discussion, etc. i'll send you a few other links later tonight.

we could see 4" new overnight tonight and early tomorrow (thur), w/ a colder NW wind @ 30-40mph. a dawn patrol skin might give you first tracks somewhere before their lifts spin. otherwise, should be fun for at least a couple hours in-bounds tomorrow.

we'll take it.

The MtnWx product was my brother Conor's baby. He's a forecaster in the NWS BTV office. He's a splitter too, so all the winter forecasts discussions he does have an eye out for the skiers/riders :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 pm 

tiltedworld wrote:
The MtnWx product was my brother Conor's baby. He's a forecaster in the NWS BTV office. He's a splitter too, so all the winter forecasts discussions he does have an eye out for the skiers/riders :thatrocks:

nice, i remember you saying that last year tilt... I'd love to see things like the nrcs snotel sites out in the wasatch start showing up here in the east, but i know it's just a dream. those things don't lie, resorts do.

tell him thanks for me, for real. i'm sure i can speak for others as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:55 pm 

http://www.wunderground.com/
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/ ... recast.php
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/
http://www.adk.org/trails/High_Peaks_Weather.aspx
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=78113
http://www.weather.com/life/ski/deepstu ... ki_welcome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:59 pm 

Hope you guys are getting some, looks like a lot of the storm is dragging across southern VT though. Tucks might be a go though depending on the weather following this storm.

I hope to get back to VT in March again. Hopefully it won't dump 2 feet the day I am leaving like last year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:39 pm 

Thanks for the links VTBC. I was writing off tomorow because I have to work, but you got the wheels turning and a pre dawn patrol is tempting. I don't have a split yet, but the snow should be hikable tomorrow without much problem. Any Vermonters have some used goods to let go of?

Tilted, It's good to know we have an insider to keep us posted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 pm 

First split of the season today...

Full moon solo summit of Franconia notch from the ski museum.

Fucking awesome!!

It was tin, but fresh and fast and moonshine.

There were literally sparks flashing of my edges in the dark a few times, but no real damage done.

Totally worth the turns, and even the clmb alone...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next