Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do not let Winter Park Custom Splits Split Your Board!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 am 

I dropped off my board for this guy Jordan Schwartz, he had posted an ad on craigslist about splitting your board for you. I was going to try myself, but he offered to cut it and seal it, and attach the hardware and have it done in 2 weeks, for $100. From his ad, he looked like he knew what he was doing, and after calling and talking to him, I was even more confident in him. He told me he has made 10+ custom splits.

I just picked up my board from him a month later. What a disaster! My board in unrideable. His cut was not even centered, one ski is larger that the other one. The cut looks like some kid did it, it is all over the place. There are huge gaps in the tip and tail. The hooks are not aligned, and the tip and tail clips are loose. I told him I rode a 23" stance, yet he mounted the pucks at 28"! And on top of all that, he rode the board and put a core shot in it!

Do not trust this guy. I'm now stuck with a board that I can't even ride, and he will not refund my money. I hope anybody reading this will not make the same mistake I made.

Post subject: Re: Do not let Winter Park Custom Splits Split Your Board!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:04 am 

Wow, that's horrible. What a negative experience!

I've also been ripped off from deals on forums and craigslist, and have had some success with the following approach...

Offer them to keep your negative feedback to yourself if they give you a refund (and in your case pay for a new board!). In several cases I've gotten some or all of my money back. If they refuse, badmouth them all over the place on the forum, or create CL posts warning others to stay away.

In many cases, the few hundred dollars they've gotten from you is not worth them losing all the future business.

What a nightmare! That is exactly what we DONT need in the SB community...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:19 am 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Winter-Pa ... 0900949959

shit practice. hopefully you get your money back.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 am 

ug, that is brutal.. that's fucked that he rode and damaged it on top of it all

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 am 

Not cool!! This is the kind of people that will make it tough for small businesses to do DIY Splitting for people :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 pm 

Please post up some photos and or emails. If I can see evidence of poor quality & customer service I will help spread the word. At the very least you should get your money back. Bummer dude.

edit: is this your deck in the middle? I can tell from here its off center. That alone would warrant a refund let alone getting the wrong stance!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:45 pm 

Yep, that is mine in the middle. I will post pictures tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm 

A little off center never hurt, but a lot is def cutter error. Personally I use a jig, and have found that many snowboard inserts are not exactly centered perfectly, which throws my cut off by a little bit. However without detailed pics its hard to tell how far off that one is...

Mounting the stance wrong is however totally the builders fault, and you should never ever ride a customers board, that is def grounds for a full refund without question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:19 pm 

Charging $100 is crazy their is no way your getting a nice job done for that little money. But either way its not good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 pm 

I've got a few more that i'll post, if you look at the hooks, the other side is tight, and there is a pretty large gap between the hooks and the board moves all over the place. It's just sloppy work, you can see that he tried to p-tex some of the t-nuts, but not others, metal is showing on some of them. There are bumpy spots all over the edge from him trying to fill the gap with p-tex that wouldn't stick. He even set the stance back, on the back binding about a inch or more past the factory incerts after I told him I ride switch quite a bit and I wanted the stance centered! I'm just stunned that someone who is selling a service like this would do such a bad job. If somebody is paying you for a service like this, you would expect a professional job. I could have done a way better job, this is just pathetic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:50 pm 

That is fucking brutal. What a tool. Jordan Schwartz/Winter Park Custom Splits needs to refund the $100, the cost of the hardware he destroyed while installing it as well as the cost of the board he wrecked. Like now. What an asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 pm 

here are a few more. I'm just blown away. I guess I'm the idiot for trusting some dude on craigslist who said he could do it. A company name, a facebook page, and a craigslist ad doesn't make it a real company. I really have no recourse except for posting on here and on craigslist to warn others not to give this moron any business.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 pm 

Why not refuse the work when you picked it up? Have you tried asking him to own up to his work other than a refund? You could flag his craigslist ads? Like him on facebook and ask how he wants to remedy the situation. If he has a FB page, clearly he wants a fan base, but I am not sure why he doesn't want to refund you or at least work with you...You should at least give him a chance to make things right (besides a refund), or maybe you already did and hence your post here? He is going to have to drill out all those screws he stripped out. Looks like he used a P2 bit instead of P3. Sorry man, I hope for some sort of resolve for you!