Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 100 Days In An RV This Winter...Tips
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:29 pm 

Hey guys.....
I'm heading to BC this winter from January to Mid April for something like 100 days.Will be travelling all over BC from Pemberton/Duffey to Kootenays to Rogers to Terrace,Smithers and Stewart.Maybe even head to AK!
The company I'm renting from will be 'Winterizing' the RV by putting anti freeze in the water tank,so no shower/Toilet/Sink use.I'm not too bothered about this as I know some people here and there and will grab a shower where I can.
What I am concerned about is getting cold! I reckon I will need a good -20c bag.The RV comes with LP Gas/12v furnace so I could run this to keep it warm?
Anyway if any of you guys got some tips or had some experience with living in an RV over winter would love to hear it!! :bow:
Also it sleeps 5 and I have Wilkez from this forum and another buddy joining me for most of it.So there will be room for other Splitboarding maggots who are up for some tours!

Post subject: Re: 100 Days In An RV This Winter...Tips
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 am 

Hey man check out this TR from the TGR forums...Loads of inspiration..

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/159282-TR-A-season-in-Canada-(Lots-of-photos)?highlight=Canada+Camper+trip

May see you boys out there. Doing our own RV experience around some of those areas too. RV's all the way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:23 am 

Sweet! You guys heading to AK? Tailgate 1-12 April
Just been browsing the ferries and could be a choice route to get ferry up there,Prince Rupert - Haines,then drive the rest to Valdez,getting moist at the thought if it!! :drool:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 am 

"Now don't you go fallin in love with her Clark, she's leaving with us next month"

Bring febreze,... Dirty snowboarders.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 am 

My wife and I are on this same path for this year. We plan to leave sometime after the Christmas holiday from upstate New York. That is pending us finding an appropriate rig. We're looking at travel trailers though.

You can heat that baby but you will burn through lots of gas undoubtedly. You may try to just keep it above freezing and get plenty of fresh air, especially while cooking, to keep the moisture level down. Maybe fire it up a bit warmer while in it on occasion to keep some sanity.

There's also a very long thread at TGR about ski RVing http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... rking-lots

I'd love to see how you guys make out! Have a blast!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:59 pm 

aliasptr - IMHO a travel trailer(or any trailer for that matter) could be a real nightmare in winter driving conditions. Not sure what you drive, but something to think about...

IrishGav - If you've got a LG furnace, I would rock the shit out of it. The newer units are pretty efficient and more LG should be pretty easy to come by. You can also carry a cheapo electric heater and extension cord, poaching shore power whenever available. Sounds like your furnace has a 12V option as well.

Buy some of this at your local hardware store to insulate all your windows and doors, makes a big difference:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... ogId=10053

Enjoy dude, sounds like an epic way to spend the season! :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:10 pm 

sdmarkus wrote:
aliasptr - IMHO a travel trailer(or any trailer for that matter) could be a real nightmare in winter driving conditions. Not sure what you drive, but something to think about...

We have thought long and hard about truck campers, class Cs, maybe even an Class A with a towed vehicle... we just really won't know what will exactly work until we get out there and try it. Our goal is to stay in one place for weeks at a time, ride and hang out then move on. So with the limitations of pulling a travel trailer in bad weather- we figure we will have the luxury of biding our time until the weather is good.

We'll just have to see how we like it. There are trade offs with any RV setup. Go bigger and you're more comfortable but you lose mobility and it'll be more expensive. Go small and you lose comfort and storage but it's less expensive and more places are accessible.

We'll make the best of whatever we have! And I'm sure learn some [hard] lessons along the way! :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:51 pm 

ahh crap,

I am so jealous of you and your trip.

Living in an RV in the cold and sleeping with one or multiple people inside of it always leads to a very moist and eventually dank interior. It is crazy how much moisture we exhale throughout the night.
In our truck camper that was very well insulated we would wake up with moisture covering most interior surfaces and at least the ceiling above us and the windows every morning. That was with the windows cracked.

Even if it is super cold, always try to have a vent cracked a bit and a window as well to try to keep air moving through to help dry it out. Portable electric heaters are good if you have shore power or a generator.

Does this RV have access to the driving compartment? If so, heat it up while you are driving and try to dry it out as much as possible

I always wanted to try a 12volt electric blanket that they sell in most truck stops but they seemed to cheap to be any good.

Make sure you post lots of pictures and keep us all jealous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm 

IrishGav wrote:
Just been browsing the ferries and could be a choice route to get ferry up there,Prince Rupert - Haines,then drive the rest to Valdez,getting moist at the thought if it!! :drool:

Not getting up to Alaska this time as we leave at the end of March but we are going to be heading up to Terrace though. May hit up the Canuck Splitfest as we will be around Rogers Pass about then.

Awesome to see other like minded people are going to be rocking the RV option this year as well. Moisture build up is a bit of worry. Have been thinking about getting a dehumidifier and a generator to run it off along with an electric heater. Not sure if it would it be too cold for the dehumidifier to run when were camped in the BC Interior Mts though..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 pm 

South Island Split wrote:
IrishGav wrote:

Not getting up to Alaska this time as we leave at the end of March but we are going to be heading up to Terrace though. May hit up the Canuck Splitfest as we will be around Rogers Pass about then.

Awesome to see other like minded people are going to be rocking the RV option this year as well. Moisture build up is a bit of worry. Have been thinking about getting a dehumidifier and a generator to run it off along with an electric heater. Not sure if it would it be too cold for the dehumidifier to run when were camped in the BC Interior Mts though..

Hey thanks boys for the tips,yeah battling the moisture will be the main thing,looking into some sort of mini dehumidifier without having to go down the road of getting a genny.
And I will be getting that roll of insulation for the windows too.

We will be up around Stewart in March doing helidrops with last frontier heli skiing into some sick zones! See you there

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:20 am 

Great documentary project that may interest you and any others living in RVs/trailers for an extended period of time... http://www.23feet.org
You may get something out it, you may not, but either way Enjoy! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:15 am 

@ IrishGav.

Sweet. If you find a small dehumidifier that doesn't require a generator make sure you post about it. Will be interested to get something similar if we don't get a generator.

Getting so pumped for the N. Hemisphere winter. Starting to turn into summer down here and not long till we head to Canada. Looking forward to meeting some new splitters and riding some of this waist deep pow I seem to keep hearing about. Stoking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:03 am 

if it does not already have a genny. you may want to look at getting one (even a little 800watt one would be good), 12 volt gas heater may not want to run all night on 2 batteries (I would assume the camper has 2) Also plug in where you can, carry a small electric heater to help take off the chill and stay warm when plugged into shore power.

Good luck, sounds like a wicked fun trip!

www.adventurelogistics.com