Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Quick Breakdown of A Few Splitboards on the Market!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:08 pm 

I had a crack forming in my board and it broke on May 2nd three years ago.

The peeps at Prior take the month of May off which left me without a board.

If it wasn't for the kindness of a stranger I would have been out the touring season!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:56 pm 

Unfortunate on both counts.

Arch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:37 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
Would love to get peoples input on boards from Jones, Unity, Neversummer and the new Rome if people have some time on them!

Nice reviews Kyle - I appreciate you taking the time to write them up. I was on the Jones Solution most of last season and really dig the board. The rocker/camber combination makes it a joy in both powder and hardpack. I find it really easy to float in the powder, and the mag gives me a bit more confidence on the steeps. I was on the Mojo previously, and I find myself digging the Jones much more on steep terrain. The board skins really nicely and seems to have held up to the abuse so far too. It's not as light as the mojo, but it isn't super heavy either...I find it to be a nice all around board for all types of conditions.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:54 am 

Thanks for the reviews Kyle! I ride the 2011 Travis Rice (non-split) and love it as a quiver killer but I've heard from some folks that the rocker between the binders does not make for very efficient skinning with the split versions. I'm wondering if camber is better than the zero camber boards also.

I'll be on the Solution for my second season and have put the K clips on it- the board is much tighter indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:59 am 

mjd wrote:
Thanks for the reviews Kyle! I ride the 2011 Travis Rice (non-split) and love it as a quiver killer but I've heard from some folks that the rocker between the binders does not make for very efficient skinning with the split versions. I'm wondering if camber is better than the zero camber boards also.

I'll be on the Solution for my second season and have put the K clips on it- the board is much tighter indeed!

I think I'm the only one who has mentioned anything about the skinning qualities related to the banana rocker. Be warned that I'm not the most accomplished person to grace a skin track. :D I spent some time climbing Herman next to Mt Baker Ski area yesterday and I still think that the skinning performance can be optimized but I don't think it is bad. I mostly notice the rocker when I'm skiing back to the upper lot from Terminal Lake on a hardpacked groomer and on that really steep pitch (White Monkey) that gets you to the top of Blueberry Chute. I think in 95% of the conditions the skinning performance is fine and I'm being picky.

I've talked to the guys at Lib and they did not want to compromise the snowboard feel in the T.Rice for any changes that were specific to skinning. I can appreciate that. Knowing their taste for crazy ideas and having seen some of there experiMENTAL boards I look forward to what they'll bring to splitboards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:40 pm 

Stoked on the conversations and that we are getting more board reviews on this forum.

We just hit 1000 views :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am 

Kyle Miller wrote:
Voile Mojo

Cons: Can be a tad bit grabby; doesn't work with Karakoram clips.

I had no issues installing K clips on my Mojo. Clips work flawlessly and improved the riding experience w/ the added tightness, especially noticeable on the hardpack.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:04 am 

TBill wrote:
Kyle Miller wrote:
Voile Mojo

Cons: Can be a tad bit grabby; doesn't work with Karakoram clips.

I had no issues installing K clips on my Mojo. Clips work flawlessly and improved the riding experience w/ the added tightness, especially noticeable on the hardpack.

No highbacks?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:12 am 

Kyle... Great reviews....I'm really suprised that your 6'3 and you ride shorter boards... goes to show you what rocker can do for a shorter board.

I've got a brand new Rome Whiteroom 165 you can put through the paces when I'm out in a couple weeks.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 pm 

Thanks for the review and this discussion, this is helpful. I'll put in my experiance with my Storm 165, then ask some questions. If the questions would be better off somewhere else, so as to not clutter this discussion, please let me know.
I've ridden my Venture Storm 165 x 25 for the last 2 seasons and this year so far. This is a really well built board. Solid topsheet, solid base, solid sidewalls, fits together tightly. It's flex has definately softened as time goes on, but less so than other splits. For me, it rips in lower angle pow an handles well in tight spots. It handles variable conditions really solidly, and it somehow makes some breakable crusts super fun, like warm buttery snow.Weird. It skis well too, up and down. The rocker and fat tip are nice for breaking trail, it pops right up. My problem with it is in steeper terrain. For me, on pitchs from the upper 30's and steeper the tail always feels like it washes out at the end of the turn. Both on hard snow and perfect hero pow where a guy could arch huge perfect carves on something 45 degrees. It's like that big fat rockered front just keeps catching snow and pulling me around and the litttle tail, rockered up, isn't big enough or stiff enough to hold it from washing out. I think i'd like it better without so much offset, no rocker in the tail, and stiffer in the tail (but i'm no board designer). That said, I've seen alot of people on here who are happy with it in steeper terrain. I am too when I'm more concerned with just simply holding it together, but not so much when the snow and/or terrain is allowing me to think about making nice carving turns.
So here's my questions (should these go elsewhere?): I'm 5'4" 145 lbs, I really like carving in powder but also get on some bigger lines sometimes (Its of course nice when those two coincide). This 165 storm may seem like a big board for me but all my boards for the alpine have been this size (i'm in Valdez Alaska we unfortunately don't really have any tree riding here). My Favorite has been my solid nitro naturals 167, i also had some Burton s-series 165's that i liked when they were fresh. I like the way the longer boards feel for carving more than float. But maybe the weight of that storm split is too much for me. What board should I try next? Is there anything I could try to make the storm ride better for me? I like the looks of the solution? The winterstick looks great but maybe not enough side cut for me? The never summer summit interests me but maybe too heavy and tanky? Are these last two more straight line chargers? Could someone please describe the ride of these libtechs that several people have mentioned, i've never been on one. Thanks for any suggestions people might have

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 am 

Hey what size TRice did you test? I am trying to decide between the 161.5 and the 164.5.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 am 

I was rocking a 164.5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 am 

I am 5'10" and about 200 lbs, so I can't decide if the 161.5 or 164.5 would be better. I have ridden a solid 162 TRS, and that felt pretty stiff - too stiff for me as an all around resort board. The float in pow was pretty nice though, but if I were to buy a solid TRS I would go for the 159. I believe the TRice is pretty similar to the TRS, just with the HP construction and a different base.

I already ordered a 161.5 in the TRice Split, but it isn't too late for me to switch to the 164.5. I like the feeling of smaller more playful boards, but I want to make sure that the 161.5 won't be too small for BC use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next