Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Quick Breakdown of A Few Splitboards on the Market!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:44 pm 

Really interesting what you found with the Ventures. I was in the market this summer and was seriously looking at the Ventures. I had figured that the Zephyr, since it is flat between the feet would handle better on firm snow, and the Storm to be better in the pow. It sounds like you found the Zephyr kinda one dimensional in its use, and the Storm to be better in a variety of conditions.

My problem is that I have big feet. And all of these companies strictly limit their sizes, in width and length, except for Venture. I wound up getting a Unity because they would build me a board wide enough for my feet with a profile that I hope will fit the range of conditions I find.

Thanks for putting this up. It's interesting to see each boards strengths and weaknesses side by side. And it's really interesting that you found that none of these boards absolutely sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm 

x2 post?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm 

Kyle, great writeups, thanks for taking the time and I agree you did a good job trying to be objective.

Funny though, some of our opinions differ. Out of your list I can only comment on the Voile mojo and Venture Zephyr (I've also spent some time on a Prior Spearhead). My opinion of the mojo is that its a touch too soft and too light, neither are a big deal in soft snow in the backcountry but I'd never believe this is the board for someone who rides lots in the resort versus the backcountry. i'd say its great in soft stuff but edge hold and the light weightedness become an issue in harder and chopped up snow that you'd find inbounds.

The Venture Zephyr on the other hand I found to be a great all around board, inbounds included, not too soft, not tons of taper, some rocket but flat in the middle. I find this to be a great do it all board, it rips groomers and hardpack/crust and loves corn. It has less taper then many of the splitboards on the market (only 5mm). I agree it also kills it in the pow. Its the first split that I've really consistently used inbounds and found it to be more fun then a barrel of monkeys in the varied conditions of a day top to bottom on Whistler/Blackcomb. Again with its lessened taper I find it rips a straight line and doesn't feel squirrely. I even ride it shorter then I should (a 160) and have been really impressed with its ability to hold its course and float the deep stuff alike.

Again not discounting your hard work and review, just pointing out that everyones mileage may very. One mans do it all stick is another mans powder board it would seem;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
I want to keep this review fair to all companies so sadly I can't answer this question!

I appreciate the objectivity but I also think it's legit for the reviewer to share their opinion on which they prefer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 am 

Kyle Miller wrote:
I want to keep this review fair to all companies so sadly I can't answer this question!

Great review. It's easy to go out and demo a swackload of solid boards, but not many of us have a chance to go play on such a variety of splits.
Although I can understand where you are coming from.....I could use a half dozen different boards in a week depending on terrain and conditions there must be an overall favourite.
C'mon, there's one ya preferred. That IS being fair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 pm 

whistlermaverick wrote:
Kyle Miller wrote:

C'mon, there's one ya preferred.

Cough cough, STORM, cough cough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:40 pm 

Hey Kyle! Thanks alot for the feedback!
I have to agree with jcbackcountry on the Venture Zephyr, that board is an all mountain destroyer. I put out about 70 days on this board last year, from multiday treks, to inbounds slaying, this board handles it all, from steep icy sections, to waist deep pow. I even ride this board in the park... no rails, just jumps! :) but you can still get your jib on! i love it... oh an not one core shot... lucky? or just one tough ass base?!!

Size 13 eh Kyle! woo! me too! how tall are you?

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 pm 

Hey guys great to see this conversation on going sorry about the delayed response as moving into the mountains has been a tad bit hectic!

I spent a little bit of time with the Voile in the resort when I formed that opinion but didn't use the Zepher more then a day in the resort so that's where I came up with my opinion.

I haven't tried the Never Summer split but if it is anything like a solid it should be epic!

Would love to get peoples input on boards from Jones, Unity, Neversummer and the new Rome if people have some time on them!

I appreciate the objectivity but I also think it's legit for the reviewer to share their opinion on which they prefer.

I think a quiver is the only way to go.

I am 6'3 which helps a ton for skinning.

When/if I make a Split board of my own it will be wide!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:44 pm 

Killing it!!! Ya man thanks for your reviews on all the boards. it's awesome to finally start gathering a breakdown of boards. To get a perspective of what suits your style most before buying.
That'll be sweet if you put out a model! I stand at 6'6. I know how you feel with wide boards!
Cheers!

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 am 

Hmm... no Priors?

Arch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:21 pm 

Sadly my experiences with Prior haven't been positive!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:39 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
Sadly my experiences with Prior haven't been positive!

Hmm... surprising to me - I've owned Priors for ten years and my experiences will make up for yours.

Arch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:11 pm 

Gave the prior a nice review here at the bottom..Something changed?
http://www.whereiskylemiller.com/?cat=90

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next