Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: G3 introduces Splitboard-specific climbing skins
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 am 

Picked up a set of G3's for the girlfriend yesterday.....First look of these and they look quality...The feel of the material is slick and slightly different than the BD/voiles.(much lighter, cool skin kit) Just by the feel of the material I can see why they glide better..When the snow flies and I can get some quality skinning in I'll post a review.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 am 

I have a set of BD/Voile Tractor/Ascensionists with the Spark tail clips, and also a set of G3 splitboard skins. They are cut for the same board. The BD's weigh 39 grams per skin more than the G3s. That's about 1.4 ounces, and I could reduce that if I tapered my BDs in the tail the way the G3s are or skipped the tail clips. That weight diff is like wearing thicker socks or having a little snow stuck to the top sheet. Are you guys really feeling that, or is "much lighter" a bit of hyperbole? I could see them *seeming* lighter if they glide better. Or if you lift 1 ounce a thousand times, etc. But holding them in my hands and closing my eyes I can't feel the diff.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 am 

There is a noticible difference between my BD :scratch: My chicks G3's are brand new and size small. My Voile's have been through the ringer re-glued with sticks and dirt in the glue to add character and apparently weight. I thought about adding tailclips to my tractor skinns, but 40 bones is way too much :lol: Ill just strap those bitches dowm with a voile strap if they start to fail...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:36 am 

philip, did you include the weight of the spark clip to your Voile skins?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 am 

Yep, the BD weight is with the Spark tail clip/strap setup. The G3 weight is actually also with a Spark tail clip on the stock tail strap instead of the G3 clip the skins came with. I bought a set of 140mm G3 skins from Sierra Trading Post for $90 recently and resewed the tip of the skin to fit the splitboard better, and added the Spark tail clip. It's a nice setup. I'll take pics tonight if I remember.

I totally agree that $40 is an insane price for the Spark tail clips. There is maybe $5-10 worth of stuff you get in the baggie. I've just been too lazy to get out the plasma cutter and custom make some clips out of stainless sheet.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:08 pm 

I would like to see your sewing mod for sure. I noticed that as well. Plasma cutter- always wanted one of those!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 pm 

How are they at gripping the snow going uphill on something moderately steep. While a better glide could be nice, I would not want to sacrifice any grip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:34 pm 

Caution: nerd dump ahead...

Here is what I did. I took a pair of 140mm G3 skins and cut the tips off, shortened the skin to fit my boards, sliced a wedge-shaped section off to make the tip sit at an angle, and sewed the tip back on. I put a thin piece of webbing on the back for strength and did a few passes with upholstery thread. I sewed through the plastic shipping backing so that the skin wouldn't stick to my sewing machine.

I also slapped a Spark tail clip on there since the stock G3 clip would only work for straight-end skis.

While I'm on the subject, I put some Spark tail clips on my BD skins too. The Spark kit is full of useless stuff. Their rivets suck super bad. The final sandwich of stuff where the strap rivets to the skin is super thick, so I bailed on their instructions and did it my own way. I wanted the skin glue flat against the board so snow and dirt wouldn't get underneath, so I put the strap on the outside and used an aluminum T-nut and screw to hold the strap to the outside of the skin.

I had to dremel the bolt and T-nut to length.

Finally I put some edging on my cheat sheets, including some plastic gutter guard, which basically turns into razor wire if you don't finish the edge somehow.

The stock cheat sheet that comes with Voile/BD skins:

Gutter guard:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 pm 

Philip you should cross post this into DIY. Nice work! You're quite the seamster on both the skins and skin savers, what are you sewing on? where did you get those rivets?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:54 pm 

Beautifully done Philip!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 pm 

fitit wrote:
what are you sewing on? where did you get those rivets?

I have a Bernina 1001 sewing machine. It is an older "heavy duty" home sewing machine. Nothing industrial, but it will handle upholstery thread ok. I like making some of my own stuff or modifying my gear.

The aluminum screws and T-nuts are just from the hardware/lumber store. Near all the bulk fasteners there are often drawers with weird stuff like nylon, brass, odd sizes and configurations of screws. I just found them there. They are light, won't corrode, and have very wide, low-profile heads. I thought about using a rivet, but this seemed even better.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:56 am 

If you're still debating whether or not the G3 splitboard skins are worth it, hopefully my brief review will help. I really think the big selling point of this product is its laminated tip and tail connectors. To be honest, I have no ambition to create my own fraken-skins and mod tail clips. Kudos to those that have.. but I still like the additional features and advantages G3 brings to the table with this product

The G3 Alpinest Splitboard Climbing Skins were a welcome addition to my backcountry setup and after over 20 days of use my experience can only be described as magical… and here’s why.

First Impression: Smooth, sleek and very flexible. These skins are definitely easier to manipulate making it a breeze to pack in a small nylon pouch or even roll to fit in my jacket pocket. The laminated adjustable tip and tail connectors allow for a solid adhesion of the skin with board – no gaps at the tip, loose edges or flapping corners!

On the uptrack: I’ve never felt the traction to be any better or worse in comparison with the Voile Tractor Skins. The ability to glide smoothly in the G3 skins however, is significantly noticeable compared to the Voile Skins – a big bonus when travelling on flat terrain and ski out descents.

Key features: The tail connector is what I believe to be the best feature of these skins and in my opinion a THE worthy reason to purchase this product. In short, having a tail clip makes life on the hill easier and absolves the need to be anal-retentive when it comes to snow coming in contact with the skin adhesive.

We’ve all likely experienced sliding backwards on steep skin tracks, powder creeping under the skins on the side hill, and the accidental dropping of the skin in the snow during transition. The tail clip ensures the skin stays under the board, regardless of the adhesive losing some tackiness because of snow. There is nothing worse than cutting your trip short because the skins are no longer sticking to the bottom of your board!

G3’s hydrophobic waterproofing treatment is another great feature and is a testament to the effort and detail these guys invest on product development and improving functionality. The waterproofing treatment helps avoid absorption of moisture from the snow and it's a welcome relief the skins don't feel twice as heavy after a full day of touring.

Overall: I spend less time worrying about my skins and more time on the big lines I’m about to hit! They work well and even better, look darn pretty. This is a fantastic product from a company that considers all the elements of splitboarding and skinning to develop improvements and efficiency. A worthy investment for any splitty and a welcome addition to the ever-expanding industry.

If you haven't already checked out G3's website, have a look for photos and video: http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/sk ... bing-skins

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:58 am 

Philip,

pretty good job on modifying alpinist climbing skins to splitboard version :thumpsup: I might end up with the same solution as I'm looking for new skins for my new Jones. I'm not able to get the G3 splitboard skins here but in my local shop they have the alpinist (ski) version. Just curious if it was working without any probs (mainly the sewed part..) would you recommend to do it?.. thanks

philip.ak wrote:
Here is what I did. I took a pair of 140mm G3 skins and cut the tips off, shortened the skin to fit my boards, sliced a wedge-shaped section off to make the tip sit at an angle, and sewed the tip back on. I put a thin piece of webbing on the back for strength and did a few passes with upholstery thread. I sewed through the plastic shipping backing so that the skin wouldn't stick to my sewing machine.