Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: NH/ME region this winter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm 

scallopr & Just Send It, I might be interested in joining in on a group if you get one going. Keep me in the loop if you come close to locking something down...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm 

Just got my 1st splitty in the mail today. I picked up a complete used setup from the classifieds that includes a Prior 163 with Spark bindings. I've been riding resorts for years but have gotten so bored with the groomers that I've only been going a couple times a year. I'm brand new to splitting and I'm totally stoked to try it out.

I'm from the Boston North Shore area and I'm real interested in finding some spots. I figured I'd hook in with some of my backcountry skiing buds and figure it out. Of course their's the Mt. Washington area but Ascutney looks interesting as well. I do need to get some Avy knowledge and gear. I've done some winter hikes with snowshoes and crampons but not nearly enough to feel super comfortable in the backcountry. I'd be interested in some sort of group splitty session if something went down.

I was also hoping to find something fairly close to Boston. Doesn't have to be anything big just something I could zip over to in about an hour or so anytime we get a dump and get a few turns in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 pm 

@woodyak...best avy advice, IMHO

1) find a friend with a beacon and practice, practice, practice.
b) If you're doing a beacon check before you drop in, or getting your avalung in the ready, find something lower angled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm 

ridefreeordie wrote:
Any guide service in N. Conway is legit. EMS, IMCS, or Chauvin. I am a bit partial to IME since I used to work there. Let me know if anyone needs a place to stay in the valley. There isn't much but I got a couch and a fridge usually half empty or half full of beer depending on how you look at it.

P.S. Had first annual tracks on the sherbie during last weeks storm...now its nothing but dirt and grass. New England

Im going with IME spoke with craig last sunday. there is a class th 16, 17 18th of january its like $350. Congrats on the sherbie tracks we made a kicker in derry and hit it by headlamp

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 am 

Charlie Day, good work on home made split!

I took my DIY SuperModel out to Stowe this past weekend. Skinned up man made snow and rode down. Worked good as a test run!

Looking to get out more once we get some snow on the EAST!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm 

Image My splity showed up today gonna try it out at killington tomorrow

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm 

Wicked stoked to see this thread. Picked up a split last year, but didn't get a chance to ride it outside a couple test laps at the resort. I work full-time at Mount Snow, so most of my free riding time is midweek. I'd love to find some place to ride and people to ride with in the southern VT/NH and western MA areas. I've got my avy kit together, and some (limited) avy knowledge from riding Jackson Hole backcountry. Looking forward to some more wintery weather finally showing up this week.

-Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:11 pm 

Just got set up for level 1 at Mt Washington over MLK weekend, with Brad from IMCS. I think scallopr and some others might be up there also, send me a pm if anyone wants more info.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 pm 

Sup fellas, glad I stumbled on this thread, am new to splitting (and backcountry riding generally) and was hoping to tour with some folks who know what they're doing. I have some ski buddies who are interested in this stuff, but they're not always reliable. Just ordered a Mojo RX 161 and some Sparks and will be taking an AIARE Level 1 class with EMS Jan 6-8.

I've only been riding a few years but in that short time I've already grown bored of the resort scene, and I never really got into park riding. Figure if I don't do this now I'll never do it, so I've been diving headfirst into a lot of things and backcountry riding happens to be one of them this season. Planning to spend my weekends this winter between splitting and general mountaineering/hiking/camping, so hopefully I'll see some of you fellas on the trail or at avy class.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:26 am 

planning a trip to the chic chocs somewhere between march 12-19 not the whole time but thats just my timeline for the trip. anyone interested in joining in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:53 am 

Its about time we got some snow in NH!

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm 

shit. im working the next few days.

I should have been Steve and Phil Mahre.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:53 am 

Mount Washington Update:
Finally! 7.5 + yesterday of velvety goodness with 3-5 expected today. The ski trail was very rippable. Higher aspects have HIGH avi danger and with big winds and cold temps the danger probably wont subside during the holiday weekend. Earlier in the week the chute,lefty gully, and some other aspects were great but they are probably pretty testy right now. There has already been two avalanche accidents and one death a couple of days ago so come on by but be wise.

:thatrocks:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next