Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 pm 

Don't be surprised if you encounter ice. You need more than 5 inches of snow for it to be worth the trip. Bring your crampon if you plan on going above 8500 feet. I read a trip report on turns all year that several folks encounter similar conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 pm 

I was thinking about taking a level 1 course at Oregon avalanche. http://oravalanche.org/level1/ Looks like they have a course in March that is open.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:52 pm 

i was on zig zag glacier and canyons on thursday and it was super good. only a couple of spots of the old permanant snowpack poking thru. bottomless turns that were very high quality snow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:57 am 

Anyone interested in Hood this weekend?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:57 am 

chronicracing wrote:

I was just at Timberline yesterday skinning around with the wife, it's still pretty poor coverage. We started up towards Zig Zag, but it was super windy and icy so we headed for the trees. Hopefully we'll get some more snow this week; that should help. This weekend is no good for hood for me, but the weekend after (11/25 or 11/27?) I'm down to hit Newton (near Meadows) with ya... pending snow levels. =)

I'm going to be in Seattle this Saturday so I'm thinking of checking out a quick day trip in the N. Cascades on Sunday...they have way more snow up there right now. I'll let you know if I find any goods!

I asked ONC about getting the A frame cabin 12/10, so we'll see what turns up there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:

I asked ONC about getting the A frame cabin 12/10, so we'll see what turns up there.

UPDATE: Russ at ONC says we can book the cabin, but he won't reserve it now. He says with 2 weeks notice we can reserve it. So I'll email him on 11/26 and reserve it for the night of 12/10. :thumpsup:

Stay tuned...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm 

chronicracing wrote:

i'll go up if there's more than a foot of fresh snow and the conditions aren't sketchy. Otherwise, I don't think it would be worth the time. Forecast model is calling up to 24 inches of snow. So, keep your fingers cross...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am 

I'm down to get some shredding done this weekend. Provided the snow fly's wed and thurs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:55 pm 

sunday is going to be awesome up there. its gonna be cold and clear with a bunch of new snow. as long as its not too wind affected it will be great. Trust me guys the zig zag glacier is really good right now, it just takes a while to get to the toe of the snowfield. here was my last day up there, a week ago today.

http://nextadventure.net/community/blog ... ag-glacier

as you can see it was plenty soft, and you're on a glacier so you don't have to worry about coverage.
sadly i will be working all weekend mounting, grinding, drilling and filling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:16 pm 

http://www.summitpost.org/washington-lo ... 1/c-155588
i wanna hit this steep looking side peak on st helens monitor ridge route. it looks sweet. i stare at it every time i go up there.

its super south facing and you gotta be at the top early style to hit it. will definitely require overnight bivy or super early alpine start.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:27 pm 

Quote:
i wanna hit this steep looking side peak on st helens monitor ridge route. it looks sweet. i stare at it every time i go up there.

its super south facing and you gotta be at the top early style to hit it. will definitely require overnight bivy or super early alpine start.

Can I come? I like alpine starts but mostly I just like steep faces. Thanks for the mini cooly stoke. I won't forget about that little gem anytime soon.

I will be out exploring around Hood for the next couple day's (fri/sat/sun). Hoping to hit ski bowl if there's enough snow. Thinking it might be a fun poach since. If anyone else is going to be out looking for pow turns fri or sat PM soon. Defiantly would be down to get into something higher up with a partner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am 

I am open and would like to do some touring on Sunday. Lets link up. Call me 5032140325. My name is Devan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 am 

I'll be in Seattle this weekend (Alpental BC on Sunday!!!!!) but am down to hook up with a crew next weekend for some Hood action... have fun and be safe everyone! 19 new inches should make it nice for ya!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next