Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any iPhone or other mobile users out there?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Tophervw wrote:
BCR~
how about a SB.com app that keeps track of days, vert, conditions, and location.

ya mean Notes.....its the app that looks like a sticky note...works like a charm... :lol:

bet BCR is all over it...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:56 am 

The Notes app would suck for something like I'm talking about. I won't add info if I have to type the words and numbers, plus no tracking, compiling, etc. An app that remembers your locations and other shit (conditions, etc.) would be cool. There are similar ones for workouts and such. Your right, bcrider won't do it cause he doesn't have the expertise but I bet someone else will...and make some very real cash. There are some very simple apps making shitloads of money right now.

Tophervw wrote:
Ecobrad wrote:
Tophervw wrote:
BCR~
how about a SB.com app that keeps track of days, vert, conditions, and location.

ya mean Notes.....its the app that looks like a sticky note...works like a charm... :lol:

bet BCR is all over it...

EDIT: Soemthing similar to what I'm talking about already exists except it hasn't received good reviews and doesn't appear to store, compile and report. http://www.future-apps.net/Distance_Meter/Distance_Meter.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
On a different note, how about a SB.com app that keeps track of days, vert, conditions, and location. Could be cool. Probably very complicated and expensive to develop but it would be cool.

I could do something like that. The iPhone can track long / lat., so the location is easy. Vert doesn't translate well on the iPhone because its internal GPS is ... not great ... so the user would have to input total vert and conditions.

How many people would be interested in something like this? It'd require some dozens of hours on my part so I'm not doing for nothing. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
The Notes app would suck for something like I'm talking about.

Gotcha..It does suck, I have been logging in the notes app because I can generally do it in the car on the way home so I don’t forget. A real deal App would be dope.

Jipstyle~If an App is developed a few fields for text would be great. I generally note quick weather/coverage/route notes for future endeavors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:12 pm 

Quote:
I have been logging in the notes app because I can generally do it in the car on the way home so I don’t forget

Now, it California that would get you a ticket. :scratch:

Something simple would be cool but wouldn't it be dope if there was an app that you could utilize the GPS, altimeter, and maps as well. Also, something you could personalize with drop down menus with your favorite tours/trailheads, conditions, partners, capabilites, splitboard used, canine present, etc. Being able to attach/embed photos would be cool too. I've scene a couple apps where the data is shared to a website, we could share ours here for viewing (or not) to see what others are doing. Wouldn't it be sweet to go back through the years and have info on every tour? Potentially, it would only take a couple minutes to input the data. I know a journal is the old school way and there's something to be said for that but I'm too busy/lazy to keep that up.

I'm thinking if something like this was reliable and cool and sold for less than $5 one could easily sell 1,000 or more.

I'm far from a technology lover but I utilize IPhone apps more and more everyday. There's a lot of crap out there but some are very useful and fun. Some of my favorites are The Weather Channel, Hundred Push-Ups, Snow Report, Pandora, Last.fm, 365Workouts,...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 pm 

Yes, I check from my phone all the time. Ironically, the 3G on my iphone loads the pages faster than the intranet in my office.

I'd love to see an app. I've never looked into apps for discussion forums, so I don't even know if they exists. I would definitely use it.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:38 pm 

I use my 3G a lot. It does take a little while to load the pages over 3G but it's not horrendous. It would be much faster if it could minimize the amount of graphics and logos while maintaining your paid advertisements.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 am 

I use my droid x for 95% of my internet surfing, cheaper than havering high speed internet in the house or tv. If you could streamline the posting I would be in your debt. When my posts start getting long I can't even see the text I'm writing cause the text window won't pan down far enough, I lost a great review I was writing about TAOF movie from that. Anyways, any increases in your mobile version functionality would be great. If you do start working on an app please don't lose all the great quick links at the top if the page; new topics, search, active posts, users online. I mostly just want a better posting experience, otherwise I like the website alot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:12 am 

I have similar issues as Chef_ben on my HTC incredible (droid), but sometimes I copy my post before I submit because I have lost posts as well. I find the forum browses really well from the Ipad though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 am 

Ecobrad....looks like patience is a virtue. :)

http://www.ullrlabs.com/solutions.html

Ullr’s Mobile Avalanche Safety Guide™ (MAST™) is the world’s first digital snow and avalanche field notebook. We’ve combined established principles of snow science with the camera, GPS, inclinometer, compass and data communication features of an iPhone to create a simple and easy way to:

Download the most recent avalanche forecast from the regional center nearest you

Record field observations during your tour. Gather location, aspect, slope angle and a photo in one easy step- no cell or Wi-Fi signal required

Use the iPhone's touch screen to record weather, terrain conditions, and signs of instability; create Snowpit profiles; enter stability test results

Receive warnings if observations are outside safe ranges of established snow science.

Transmit your information to the closest regional avalanche center to share with forecasters and fellow backcountry enthusiasts.

Obtain educational information to keep your skills and knowledge sharp.

Source http://www.tetonat.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 am 

Awesome! I hope they'll adapt it to Android. After all android dominates the market now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:22 pm 

the MASt is very interesting! I read the manual and installed it, but haven't tried the application for any actual observations.

First, I didn't see anything so far about electronic interference with avalanche beacons, which is a serious concern for searching: http://www.wildsnow.com/1609/jonathans- ... est-notes/ Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Otherwise, it seems like there are some advantages over pencil and paper: consistency in collecting and recording observations and measurements, automating the collection of tedious measurements (angle, direction, time etc etc.), and nice delivery of reference information (especially for the stability tests). I like the way they implemented the ECT page. It's good that they use a data structure that can be shared with regional avalanche centres. It's good that you can quickly access avalanche obs. and forecasts say if you are camped out in your van somewhere, traveling, or otherwise on your way to the mtns. Really $12 aint too bad considering the time they likely put into dev. vs. the cost of a few rite in the rain books and some pencils... provided you don't toast your phone.

How I think it could be improved: It doesn't look like there's a way to flag estimates vs. measurements or give a no data value (e.g. temperature with no thermometer), so that might contaminate the database. The way they record a cornice test drop is weird (off or on?). It would be great if they could implement a way of taking pics of snow crystals with a home modified iphone case (Kobernick style). For the slope description (complexity and anchor density), they could definitely put some reference pictures in there, and I expect this would improve the consistency of observations. They could use more reference pictures and access to help/descriptions throughout (and hire a graphic designer so that it is delivered nicely for the small screen and context for where it is being used). Privacy: what if you want to publicly submit an observation without giving away the exact location of a stash? You could enter fake coords, or knock off a few decimal places, but the implied precision is misleading and takes away from the usefulness of the DB. It would be nice if you could pull the observations off of the phone to a spreadsheet on your computer without submitting to the central DB (I don't see a way of doing that). Overall, the interface isn't too bad - the buttons are nice and big, but it still could be a pain clicking buttons and menus etc. with cold fingers... time will tell. Finally, it's good to get away from f*#ing computers in the mountains.

It would be great to hear how other people find it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:15 pm 

From what I've read, GSM phones can interfere with beacons. That's why when I'm touring I turn on airplane mode which disables the cell radio. That way I can still use GPS, and the inclinometer.