Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:14 am 

I just got hold of these boots 2 days ago (they were selling like crazy in chamonix even though the season hasn't started yet). I can't say how well they ride, it hasn't snowed enough yet.

But I can tell you they're very stiff, comparable to my salomon malamutes (it's easier to get in though). Actually I feel they're stiffer laterally (vs the malamutes) - it looks pretty good!. They're also much lighter.

The only tiny problem is that they're a bit higher than standard boots - it means than to fit them in the spark burner (size M), I had to max everything (starps, "heelcup holder" etc. (my foot size is EUR 42.5/MONDO 27.5/US 9.5 ))

Overall, I'm pretty pleased to finally see touring snowboard boots - if they're stiff enough, I might even let go of the boots crampons (G10) and ski crampons (Mr Chomp) (I used to carry them around all the time).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:11 am 

Thanks for all the great input SouthIsland. I'm seriously considering these boots , if I can find a pair.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:20 pm 

last i heard deeluxe only had 26 left at their warehouse. im sure they're gone by now. but shops around should still have some. we have maybe 6 pairs left here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:35 pm 

Nisseman wrote:
South Island Split,
You mentioned these boots keeping your feet warm even when wet. Did the boots not keep your feet dry? They are supposed to have a waterproof membrane. One of my biggest issues with my Burton Drivers is wet feet. I want my next boots to keep the water out.

To be honest i have never owned a pair of boots; snowboard or hiking etc, that have kept my feet crisp and dry ever. I think of the dampness in my boots on our glacier trip was from sweat while wearing them - not from moisture percolating in through the outer shell. My liners also did get wet from the condensation in the tent as well.
I guess I must have stupidly sweaty feet.

Actually now I think about it, on one of my in bound days at Broken River we did a run down a creek bed that required walking through ankle deep water on the hike out and I don't recall any water getting in then.

Gear keeping me warm when wet is a pretty key feature for me when buying new equipment. We don't get the same cold temps down here in NZ so most of our snow storms are really wet. Being in a late winter snow storm can be the equivalent of going swimming in all of snowboard gear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:18 pm 

South Island and Kazama,
Just wondering how you found the sizing on these boots. I've seen quite a few comments that they fit small but also the odd comment that they pack out. I'm always right in between sizes and go different ways with different footwear so it would be good to know if I should go bigger or smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:38 am 

christoph benells wrote:
i agree russman- they are better than any other (snowboard) boot in my opinion. AT boots are for suckers. mountaineering boots are for dummies who like to walk downhill. deeluxe has some quality stuff. their other boots are super high quality too. love that leather. only thing that would be better would be gore-tex membrane in there.

Have used both AT or snowboard boots; now I really wanna move to mountaineering boots. European Alps are quite steeps esp. close to some peaks; icy parts are sometimes pretty scary :roll: with AT or SW boots. Advice welcome either for mountaineering boots or straps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 am 

Hey Nisseman I had to up size by half a size from 10.5 US to 11 US mens to fit the Sparks. Like all boots I'm sure they will pack out a little bit, but I think that will be good for my boots. My toes will end up with a little more room hopefully. The liners at the sides of the toe seem to be the only areas that are slightly softer than any where else on the liner. I guess this is so they pack out to accommodate a bit of wiggle room around the toes?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:57 pm 

I bought a pair of these at Salty Peaks. That's the only place I could find them selling. Rode them today. First impressions, in terms of riding soft boots I've only ridden kick me downs never new. I found the boot to be incredibly stiff, I mean super stiff. My hard boots are noodles compared to riding in these and it was incredibly akward so I'm hoping all you guys who like stiff boots are right, cause I didn't like it. However, with all new things it takes time to work them in and adapt.

Overall I liked the way they looked and felt at the shop. Someone said there a glorified snowboard boot well yes, of course what did you think a splitboard boot would be like..... a snowboard boot improved in specific areas. Compared to the Burton Drivers I was looking at it was a no brainer to support this company and go with these. They looked much more high quality than the DRivers.

Some first thought there super big and bulky, had to adjust the binder quite a bit. I'm 5'11-145 a small dude so it's akward to be walking around with these big ass boots I can barely fit my pants around. Like I said there super stiff in the upper cuff area, skinning was akward, and they felt like they came up a little higher than most boots giving me a bit of shin bruise. I've never liked the pull lace boot systems I've seen but these ones are beefed up and seem really solid and they fit on the feet super easy. I wear 10 and bought 10. I think I will start doing some excercises around the house with them on my feet to work them in and I'm thinking if I can do that these will be sick, sick boots. One other thing they have to improve the toe box I really don't think if they had beefed that up it would have messed with flex or anything. Overall sick.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:08 am 

Nobody's going to chime in and tell me don't worry about it those boots will work in??????? Now you got me worried.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 am 

I just want to buy them used from you... cheaper and all... :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 am 

I just picked up a pair yesterday at Snowboard Connection in Seattle. As of yesterday they now only have one pair of 10 and a pair of 8.5 left. So anyone looking for that size should jump on it. Trying them on in the store they were quite comfortable. Maybe the most comfortable snowboard boot I have tried on recently. I have some foot issues so I am pretty picky on the comfort. I have a pair of Driver X that are a few years that I love, but they are just too beat up. I bought a pair of Driver X last year and I don't like them for splitting. They are fine for resort riding. For some reason the just my feet when splitting but not on my resort set-up. The only issue I have with the Spark boot so far is its size. Its quite large/bulky. It almost kept me from buying them. My pants almost don't fit over them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:47 pm 

Got out for a second day on my spark boots. I've been working em in during the week and kept em really loose most the day. They were much more comfortable. I was getting some rubbing on the heel but I haven't heat molded them yet and I tend to get that at the beginning of the year. I have a feeling these are not going to be my go to boots for surfy pow days. My board feels a lot shorter in these boots, I liked the feel but it was hard to weelie out pow turns, etc. They make you want to bomb stuff, straightline, or maybe that's just me. I took em over to my buddies house, I call the "think tank" cause there always creating and know there shit. They were super impressed and said I will love them when they get worked in a bit. These are definitely big mountain charger boots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:47 pm 

ive ridden mine a couple times now and i agree with utah. they are big boots for big mountain climbing and riding. for tight trees and surfy lefts and rights i would want a softer boot, but they are still a damn awesome addition to the gear stash. they are pretty spot on for the cascade volcano shredding demographic. mine have started to work in a bit and feel really nice riding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next