Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alta - Not that I care, but...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 pm 

So I have it second hand (albeit from a reliable source) that Alta will allow boarding this season... Anyone else heard this (or care)?

For me personally its more of a curiosity than something to get stoked about. I rode there when they briefly allowed boards in the early eighties and of course I've dabbled with that terrain pre/post season on the split. I'd be keen to access American Fork Canyon from there, but not much else.

Post subject: Re: Alta - Not that I care, but...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:51 pm 

I highly doubt that! (but also dont care) at this point I would say Fuck You Alta, and fuck the whole vibe of that place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm 

Agh who cares about Alta. I would rather see them go out of business personally. The locals would die though if they allow boarding.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm 

It makes perfect sense. Alta's Flagstaff lift proposal was just a smoke screen for there preferred lift exapansion into Grizzly Gulch. The road has already started to be plowed this summer, in fact they bull dozed over an old mining house remanant and took down some trees as well. This would essentially eliminate riding in the Grizzly Gulch area as well as take away access to West Silver Fork, Wolverine Cirque, Twin Lakes Pass and poop out tons of people into E. Silver, etc. It's the same strategy snowbird used with the roller coaster. They really didn't want to put a roller coaster (well they probably did but new it wouldn't likely happen) as a way to take attention away from there plans to build a new tram to the top of the AF twins. Plus this fits in nicely with the proposed interconnect. But the interconnect isn't going to happen if snowboarders are not allowed. It's sad, my heart hurts to see a place I planned to teach my kids the art of BC shredding go to only those who can afford 75$ for a lift ticket. Also it would kill the 100ft gap, pyramid etc, as well as some of the best kicker building terrain around so it's in the interest of the snowboard community as a whole to be involved. I love how HikeforTurns, Summersgone, etc check in here every so often if we all watch each others back we can do alot towards standing up against these ass holes. I like to check out what's going on in your neck of the woods as well. I was paying close attention to some sort of fight against resort expansion in Colorado last year and while I don't facebook I used my wifes to "like" something in effort to do my part. Take care everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:42 pm 

Thread Drift-
in my opinion if you choose to support snowbird with your money(purchasing lift passes etc..) you are a bigger cunt than anyone that skis at alta. Time and time again they are the resort in the wasatch that does the most dirt. They also own the most private land(in LCC) and have the financial resources to fund new trams, coasters, more helicopters etc... Alta on the other hand has a pretty mellow vibe and up until the flagstaff incident was one of the most mellow resorts on expansion and other things. If anything we should all thank Alta for not allowing snowboarding as that has created a self-contained atmosphere of die-hard wiggle skiers: no cries for a sick park, no cries for overpriced food, no cries for new lodging, you see my point.

Back to thread-
Alta is flat and stupid. No one wants to ride there anyway. And the flagstaff thing is one of my worst fears, but if anyone was at that meeting a few season ago that idea was killed that night(at least for a few seasons). Like Utah said the big threat is Grizzly Gulch. If snowboarding is allowed at Alta in the future, that is another half step towards doom. If the fucking tram goes in at the canyons, that is a full step towards doom, that will be the beginning of the end of central wasatch touring, because once that goes in-everything will go in. If you care about the future of the central wasatch then you really need to join groups like Save Our Canyons. I know that not everyone is as big of a hippie as I am, or a lot of the people involved with groups like SOC, but the number one concern should be conserving land-keeping it from being developed. Then we can all fight amongst ourselves about whether we can ride pedal bikes on it our not. :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:34 pm 

Just as I figured (and I share the sentiments) few if any want to ride Alta.

I also agree that if one takes a broader view its easy to see where this is going, and that is interconnect.
:soapbox:
Sadly this crusty old cynic doesn't share the view that going to meetings and putting stickers on my car is going to deter big money from doing whatever they want. The reality is the "Have's and Have Not's" paradigm in which we find ourselves has shown time and time again that those with money win.
They (Have's) can buy whatever and whomever they need and are immune from justice through intimidation,or buying their way around, over or through any legal obstacle. Conversely the have not's have two choices, play by the rules and loose, or break the law and go to jail... Few if any will choose the later so.....

Interconnect will happen... Its just a matter of how soon.

Guess I'd better grab a few :guinness: and take my heart rate down

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:38 pm 

Snurfer, regarding your original post, I would check the reliability of your source.

Consider: At last weekend's avy seminar at the Depot, Snowbird's top dog snow safety guy made numerous, presumable sarcastic, inside jokes about: Alta allowing snowboarding, Snowbird bought out Alta in August, additional roller coaster locations in LCC, etc, in front of a standing-room-only audience. His delivery was completely deadpan, and lacked emoticons, so it was difficult for me, as someone who isn't privy to ongoing insider Bird/Alta gossip, to parse what was true and false in what he was saying. I ignored much of his subsequent commentary, as I couldn't tell when he was sincere. Which was a bummer, cuz he was giving a review of Alta history which I do find interesting. I imagine his jokey comments may have been repeated as truth and embellished by some of the hundreds of rabid backcountry shufflers in attendance.

Or, maybe your source is correct.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:37 am 

buckchow wrote:
Snowbird's top dog snow safety guy made numerous, presumable sarcastic, inside jokes about: Alta allowing snowboarding, Snowbird bought out Alta in August, additional roller coaster locations in LCC, etc, in front of a standing-room-only audience. His delivery was completely deadpan, and lacked emoticons, so it was difficult for me, as someone who isn't privy to ongoing insider Bird/Alta gossip, to parse what was true and false in what he was saying.
Good point Bucky... A few folks in a similar discussion elsewhere have referred to that very dialog and appear to have taken the Bird dude seriously. My source wasn't in attendance, but with social media, etc., its not hard to see what began as a joke growing legs and evolving into interweb gospel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:57 am 

One thing: if Alta were to allow snowboarding this season, and hadn't announced it, it would be the poorest marketing decision ever made by any ski area. If they were going to allow snowboarding, they would announce it well ahead of when people book their Christmas vacations, which would have been a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 am 

If there was a lift put in the flagstaff area, the entire Central Wasatch would be the biggest shit show ever. Superior hikes would be a joke and it would be miserable standing in line waiting for others to drop in. No people probably wouldn't have curtsey then and everyone would drop in like a Chinese downhill. That sounds completely miserable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 am 

What the fuck is a Chinese Downhill?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
What the fuck is a Chinese Downhill?

Really?

I've actually competed in a few :P

I for one would love it if Alta allowed boards, mainly just to witness the looks of horror and disgust from the uppity skiers who have reveled in the fact that boards are not allowed for so long.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:21 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I for one would love it if Alta allowed boards, mainly just to witness the looks of horror and disgust from the uppity skiers who have reveled in the fact that boards are not allowed for so long.
:thumbsup: +1