Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternative to Prior board
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 pm 

Hey all,

a bit of history: Prior rider
I was riding a Khyber 156 from Prior last year, but my season ended brutally with a theft on the Whistler resort, enjoying a nice day of riding/carving back-free. Now that winter is coming back, though I still mourning my board, I have to get over it and look at new opportunities for riding in the BC.

Now: what else?
I don't want to get another Prior because, although I loved that board, I don't have the budget to re-invest for that. I don't know much of the other brand out there. I would prefer support the grass roots business, but I not sure I can afford. The budget question being said, I would still like to get a decent board.
I would probably get the Spark R D bindings again because they are great and significantly decrease the weight you carry up there.

My profile: A bit of everything actually...
I have been riding for 15 years on and off. Originally, I was riding with hard boots and training in slalom. I now ride in Southern BC, after discovering the wonders of the BC. I often ride with skiers and to huts with trails made for skiers. So I end up spending a lot of times in touring mode, which made me sometimes doubt about the split-boarding system. But I am not a skier, though I am getting better at it with all that touring, and I enjoy the few, but at times excellent, turns in snowboard mode. So the terrain I am ridding is from tree level to alpine, and the conditions varies from heavy pow to icy snow.
I like also to be able to occasionally ride on resort to remind a bit of the good old days of carving. So I like somewhat stiff boards.

Then what do you guys think as far as which board to get?

Cheers

Pascale

Post subject: Re: Alternative to Prior board
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 pm 

The Voile Mojo RX might be worth looking at. The soft nose, camber underfoot, taper, and setback might make you feel like you are back on your Kyhber. Voile boards also tend to be pretty affordable. Check it out at voile-usa.com .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:36 pm 

Thanks! I'll check it out.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:52 pm 

No doubt about the Mojo Rx being the best deal out there. For 1100$ for a complet kit with bindings and skins. Just bought one myself but i havent try it yet but hopefully going touring in Rogers Pass next weekend conditions permitting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:22 am 

I bought a 166 Mojo RX/Light Rail package last year and was pretty pleased with it (with my salomon malamutes). This year I'm moving to a Jones Solution/Spark Burner/Spark Boots package. The voilé Light Rail bindings are pretty good, if you're short on $, there's no need to spend them on the spark bindings. The only "problem" with the voilé board, it's the lightweight/weak construction; if you hit hard a rock, you'll destroy the edge and won't be able to repair it!

The are 2 reasons I'm changing my gear : I tend to hit rocks a lot and I like to ride in steep couloir and need my board, bindings and boots to be very stiff! - if you don't plan to do that, you can be very happy with the voilé package.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 am 

Have you talked with Prior? Maybe they can give you a pretty good deal on something else, and they may have some used boards too. I think you could come in pretty close to the Mojo pricing if you had a chat and told them your sad story :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:33 am 

They offer a deal when you buy a board and bindings (Sparks) together! I just got their Prior skins made by G3 and they look really sweet. I think you should also contact Prior with your issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 pm 

I did contact Prior last year after the theft to ask them about the serial number. They seemed sorry and sympathising for my loss, but they never offered any kind of deal. I know I didn't ask, and probably I should. But the thing is I heard their warranty policy is very bad. A friend of mine broke his Prior board just by small jump. They accused him of lying and didn't offer any kind of replacement deal. I would love to support the local enterprise, but if it is working only one way, it's not worth it.

I am thinking of buying the Mojo Rx through MEC. First it is surprisingly cheaper in Canada than in the states for some reason. Then, MEC have a gold warranty policy and I heard that Voile is pretty good too in that regard.
I read a bit about the board on the other posts, and it seems that some people have problem with the cap edge or something like that. Anyone knows and could explain a bit more?

For the Voile light rail bindings, they are a bit heavier than the Sparks and about the same price. So right now, I am not convinced yet by the voile one, unless I am missing on something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:42 pm 

I've never had a problem with prior warrenty. I had a used khyber that I bought delam at one point, and they did a same-day fix for me for $20...can't complain about that. Plus its the only company for you (located in southwest bc) where if you do have a warranty issue, it doesn't need to get shipped away and be done for a month +.

Also, I don't think there are too many "cheap" splitboards out there. Voile might be a bit less, but realistically, you are getting a way better board for BC riding with a prior. I don't think you can beat the khyber for BC south coast riding. You just missed out on the Turkey sale at prior, where all boards were 20% off...every year at thanksgiving weekend don't forget folks! If you plead your story about stolen board, I bet they would give you that price still.