Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying Used vs Buying New
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:49 pm 

I'm looking to get into split boarding, and was wondering what people thought about buying used boards to get started vs. new ones and what would be a fair price. I've got my eye on one of two options:

Used: Voile Mojo w/ one significant scratch (not to core) and Mountain Plate Bindings, Tractor Skins, Plate Binding Interface, Pins. $750 obo
New: Voile Mojo RX from REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/824551/voile ... d-20112012)

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Buying Used vs Buying New
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm 

If you want to do it cheap and see how it goes, DIY is the way to go. DIY kit $180 and you can upgrade later split specific bindings $300

If you know you are going to like it, I say go with a brand spanky new set :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:50 pm 

Buying used at the price you are mentioning is totally not worth it. Think about it. It's almost the same price as new. If something happen, you have absolutely no warranty or least not a chance to claim one. REI has a pretty good warranty policy that could probably be helpful at some point... Splitboards are great, but it is a lot of money for an object that allows you to slide on the snow. At least, with buying new, you get a chance of getting a back up plan.

Buying used would great in my opinion if you get a really good deal, like a $400 board. But good luck in finding it and at the right size for you and in the same time, not getting totally rip off with a splitboard less than 4 years old.

The problem I think with the used splitboard market is that is not big and wide spread enough. Even if splitboarding has been around for decades, it is only starting to get more and more popular nowadays. So the used market is pretty small and a lot (not everyone) of people try to sell their old board at a price that does not seem to know what devaluation is.

Anyways, splitboarding is awesome and you'll have fun both ways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 am 

New splitboard prices are ridiculous. :cry:

Many people also buy splitboards and BC gear and never use it or use it a few times, then decide that walking up a mountain is not for them. Therefore you can often score some nearly new gear for a lot less money.

$750 is too much for a used Mojo; $400-$500 is more like it. But I bet Voile would still warranty it, they are a pretty awesome company when it comes to warranty.

DIY is always the best option for the cash conscience.

You want a good deal on a used splitty? Buy this from Buell! then donate a little cash to bcrider for using the swap and hosting this bitchin' site!

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11983

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:40 pm 

Yeah, buy my board :thumpsup:

Used boards tend to be pretty expensive, but a lot of it is because new boards are very expensive.

I am rather picky about the boards I want so I usually need to buy new. If something came up used that I was interested in, that was not overpriced, I would definitely consider it.

A great thing about used boards is that if you don't like it you can usually sell it for the price you paid. Free to low cost board testing is pretty cool!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
New splitboard prices are ridiculous. :cry:
Many people also buy splitboards and BC gear and never use it or use it a few times, then decide that walking up a mountain is not for them. Therefore you can often score some nearly new gear for a lot less money.

Well, unfortunatly for me, there's nobody like that around :) - what can happen though is someone buying the wrong gear and selling it on the cheap even though it's been only used a few times...

Last year, I was this person: I sold my Mojo RX for EUR 400 with skins & voilé hardware (new is ±900 EUR), If you've got time and are lucky, you can find such deals, but be ready to look for it everyday and jump on the 1st offer coming...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:57 am 

You can totally find good deals, you just have to watch Craigslist and ebay and this site several times a day. Good deals go quick, especially in the pre- and early season. Lots of sellers will also negotiate.

If you are on the fence, a DIY board is cheap and will get you started. There should be many more used and sale factory splitboards starting in February, so you may want to wait until then if $$ is a big issue.

Have you done lots of tours with snowshoes? Good cheap option also. I was at a spot last weekend that was pretty much impossible to climb on split/skins (no split crampons yet), but would have been no problem on snowshoes.

If the whole idea is to get out and tour, snowshoes are a great option, albeit a bit slower if you're going with a group of splitters. I had lots of fun doing tours on snowshoes... just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:46 pm 

My thoughts
I bought a used split board, bag and bindings for 500, and am stoked on it(in 2009 ). At the time I was not sure of how much I would use it so I did not want to commit to buying a new one at full price. I have used it more or less learn how to snowboard and it has suffered some novice abuse. I probably have put around 80 touring days on it and it still is in great working condition though the top decal is in poor shape. I will buy a new board sooner or later and keep this one for early or very late season riding when rocking it may be a bigger concern. The moral of the story is if you are not sure about the amount of use or if you are learning buying used is a great way to save some money and if you get hooked you can buy a new one down the road. Spend what you saved from buying used on avalanche gear. The only down side is it may take a while to find the right board for you and while you wait you are missing the exercise and snow.
Cheers
P.S. Skin clips for the skins are the way to go.