Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Useful Map?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:43 am 

I've been playing around with maps to come up with an enhanced topo to assist with finding the best places to backcountry ski/board and aid with route-finding but I need some help from you all to determine what's useful and what's not.

Here's an example of a map that I made showing slope angle superimposed on a 24k topo map. The colors indicate slope angle (green=0-20, yellow=20-28, orange=28-38, red=38-45, and white=>45).

This is more of a representation of general slope and does not represent micro-features that can cause deadly avys too.

Would a map like this be useful to you for planning purposes? How would you improve it?

Any feed back you guys can provide would be great. Let me know if you have any areas you want me to test this with and I'd be glad to make a map and post it on this forum (or on Splitboard.com somewhere if BCR will let me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:18 pm 

That's pretty sweet. Did you use GIS software to map that out?

While a graphic representation of slope angles very useful, many crucial variables are still missing. The largest one that pops into mind is either wind speed/direction or more generally snow depths. Many slopes get hammered by continuous gusts and aren't even ridable even if the angle is right. I wouldn't want to haul out to a remote area only to find no slopes that were rideable. Of course, finding wind speeds at each location is ridiculous, but maybe you could overlay a map of general wind speeds and directions over the slope angle one. Then again, I could just analyze that when I go out, which might be a better solution since conditions are so variable.

Would it be possible to also show cliff areas? Generalizing for slopes over 45 degrees is sort of ambiguous.

In some regions it is possible to get broad spatial precipitation and temperature data - maybe that could be overlayed with high transparency as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:40 pm 

Hmmm, Doug Scott is doing a similar thing with avalanchemapping.org. He has done Berthoud and Loveland passes and got enough notice that last year he was up in Alaska mapping out Hatcher Pass and some areas in the Chugach. I've made several turns with the guy in the bc and he's pretty kewl. You might try to shoot him an email to pick his brain a bit.
Your effort sounds similar but going a different direction than Doug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:00 am 

The first thing that I see is that you are using long/lat. Chuck that and use UTM coordinates. You can then overlay the UTM grid to really enhance navigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:31 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll hunt around for some other data to overlay (precip, avg temp, etc), change the coord system to UTM, and add a prevailing wind direction arrow. What should I use as a slope cutoff for cliffs?

My intent with all this is to eventually build an interactive web map for winter travel where the user can choose which layers to turn on or off (slope, topo, aerial, hillshade, precipitation, etc). I'm still hunting for a place to house this application though.

I emailed Doug Scott and his website has some great maps of slide paths for selected areas. You can download a free viewer, base maps, and points showing where slides have been mapped. However, he's not making the avy paths available to download for free (only accessible to members). He is working on an interactive map but hasn't got it completed yet and I don't know if that will be accessible to the public. I'm going to try and meet with him in a couple of weeks to get more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:34 am 

Hi OldMan,

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you share your projects with the community.

Looking forward to seeing more of them, cool stuff! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 am 

OldMan wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll hunt around for some other data to overlay (precip, avg temp, etc), change the coord system to UTM, and add a prevailing wind direction arrow. What should I use as a slope cutoff for cliffs?

My intent with all this is to eventually build an interactive web map for winter travel where the user can choose which layers to turn on or off (slope, topo, aerial, hillshade, precipitation, etc). I'm still hunting for a place to house this application though.

I emailed Doug Scott and his website has some great maps of slide paths for selected areas. You can download a free viewer, base maps, and points showing where slides have been mapped. However, he's not making the avy paths available to download for free (only accessible to members). He is working on an interactive map but hasn't got it completed yet and I don't know if that will be accessible to the public. I'm going to try and meet with him in a couple of weeks to get more info.

Yeah, Doug is doing it for the $$$ to some degree. Then again he invested a fair amount of his own $$$ to get the software and stuff to do this. His Avy path map of Berthoud is Fing sweet. I bought one a couple of years ago and framed it on my wall. It's great to look at and get an idea of where you want to go on the pass. I think you will get some great info from him.