Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preliminary Review/fitting of Prior G3 Alpinist Skins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 pm 

After seeing many threads discussing the G3 Alpinist skins and other options (below)
Prior Skins?
G3 Alpinist Splitboard Skins video
G3 releases Alpinist Splitboard skins
[url=http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11484]G3 introduces Splitboard-specific climbing skins]

Having dealt with the Voile/BD skins that are hard to tear apart, cumbersome when cold, and lack a tail attachment, the G3 alpinist system seemed ideal without the need to modify and add a tail attachment. I decided to buy the private label Prior skins because I wanted to try them and I liked the topo graphic over the G3 logos and Dean @ Prior said that he really liked them. Initially, I was wary because many have reported that these G3 do not offer as much traction as the Voile/BD skins, but the glide and speed of skinning is much increased. I figured with the ease of installation of Karakoram or Spark crampons, it may not be a big deal compared to installing the voile crampons that requires removing of the touring mode pin. Below is a preliminary review of the skin quality, fit and finish, and I am hoping to try them on the snow as soon as possible :headbang:

The Prior G3 Skins arrived in a nice tight package with everything you need for installing them.

I laid the skins flat for a day or so ontop of the board to flaten them out as much as possible before trimming to get the best trim possible

The tip and tail clips fit well

I found that the cutter worked best when drawn toward the user, but close to the tip the installer may have to run it the other direction to get a close shave.
Note: the fibers are rather itch, so it may be best to wear some safety glasses and some gloves, and make sure you wash your hands of the fibers afterwards. These fibers are much finer than the ones on the Voile skins.

The cutter follows the contours of the board's edges very well so the resulting cuts are looking very "factory" even on the sidecut (outer) edges.

The finished product

Edit: Total with shipping and transaction fee and foreign currency fee ($4.92) came out to $169.01, which is $0.94 less than stateside online retailers (with their free shipping). :thumpsup:

Post subject: Re: Preliminary Review/fitting of Prior G3 Alpinist Skins
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 am 

The G3 cutting tool = awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 am 

I don't care for the G3 cutting tool. I got one last season and the cut was rougher and more frayed than I like it. Additionally the amount of edge reveal is pretty slim, Splitboard skins are pretty darn wide and we can cut them further away from the edge no loss of grip.

I'll take the old fashioned cutters; cheaper, sharper, cleaner.... :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:59 am 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
I'll take the old fashioned cutters; cheaper, sharper, cleaner.... :twocents:

I thought that the cut was pretty clean, but the G3 material is a much finer nap so it appears to fray more. Do you have any pictures of your work with the old cutters?

Speaking of fraying, have you tried fray check or similar product on the edges of the skin?
Fray Check

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 pm 

the g3 tool is the best. i trim all skins we sell here where i work with it. the key is to keep that blade real clean to get the smoothest cut. if its all gunked up with the glue, you'll fray the edge more.