Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winter Camping - Stove/Pot???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:03 pm 

Mark, just curious but is your statement above "lawyer speak" or absolute truth? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm 

fitit wrote:
I haven't used my jet boil in extreme conditions, but I have boiled water quickly at the resort to make a dry soup, and I have used the jet boil pot as you have pictured to prepare those pacs of lentil soup, or rice, or canned stuff, but only in temperatures around freezing, but so far so good!

Update: I tried the jetboil the other day at 14F, and had difficulty getting water to boil quickly as I was used to. I was using a 4-season blend, but maybe I need something fuel more winter specific.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 pm 

samh wrote:
Mark, just curious but is your statement above "lawyer speak" or absolute truth? Thanks.

If & when I speak I only speak what I know to be the truth. The reason for my statement is purely from a point of providing correct informing and thus safety. It has nothing to do with any "legal" speak. :wink:

The device you posted is specifically (and only) designed to convert an "upright" canister stove into a "remote" type stove that can then be safely used with a wind screen to improve the stove's performance. If this device was actually intended as a converter for "inverting" a stove it would be marketed that way by the manufacture and it would probably come with some type of a stand to safely hold the fuel canister inverted. It would also need a generator tube built into it's design which it does not.

I've heard that supposedly some have managed to get this conversion device to safely (relatively speaking) burn an "inverted" canister when the canister was nearly empty and combined with some fine-tuned adjusting of the flame control. I have some doubts about these claims due to how inverted the canister may have been because the adjuster valve attached to the top often makes the canister sit slightly canted when inverted allowing vapor still into the fuel-line. No matter what was achieved, the issue of flare-up is still VERY present with this set-up because if ANY liquid fuel is injected into the fuel-line, there's no "generator tube" to safely vaporize the fuel before it's ignited.

All the butane stoves that are currently designed to be use with an "inverted" canister have generator tubes. All "remote" canister stoves and "liquid-fuel" stoves also have generator tubes as well. With out the "g-tube" these stoves can't convert the liquid fuel into vapor.

If you have any doubt about my statement then simply go light an "upright" stove and then knock it over onto its side or give it a good shake and see what happens. When the canister introduces the liquid fuel into the burner you'll see the flare-up that I speak of. PLEASE TAKE CAUTION IF YOU DO THIS TEST!!! :thumpsup:

Mark (Snow Peak Rep)