Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:43 pm 

hey accmurray. sorry i never got back to you about my poacher.

there is some really good stuff up there, like jefe said cooper spur area has just about everything you could ever want, from fun burnt tree runs to the most extreme riding on the north face you could ever imagine. really close to hood river and easy access. snow dome is a popular spot also in the spur area. little harder to get to but you get a close up view of eliot glacier and its huge seracs.

from hood river meadows lot at mhm is a good spot too. head up the ridge separating heather and newton canyons. theres always a skin track there. if you have enough motivation there are some awesome chutes on gnarl ridge you could access from there, or just hit the tree runs down to pocket creek.

Muddy fork sandy river canyon has the best terrain on hood but is a serious bitch to get to.

Summit runs are the "shit" but come far and few between and are a serious endeavor.

tom dick and harry mountain by ski bowl has cool terrain too when the snow level is low.

adams is awesome and has one of the best runs in the world with its sw chutes. you just have to have a snowmo, or wait till the road opens back there.

St. Helens is also super classic and can be really awesome in mid winter conditions. marble mountain sno-park and worm flows route.

I hit up zig zag glacier from t-line yesterday. we climbed up to crater rock and started from there. it was real good climbing with crampons and ice axe. there was new snow for the season but it was frozen solid. corn o'clock never came. some of the scariest turns you could imagine making on a 30 degree slope. wasn't very fun, but it was beautiful and was great to be out there.

check out turnsallyear.com and cascadeclimbers.com forums for more ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 pm 

Sweet, I should be ready to split in mid-november around the 19th. keep me posted.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:54 am 

Put me on the list.

Currently looking for a job and place on hood. So if anyone has any good ideas on that BS let me know. Got some turns up on Hood twice this week. Couldn't believe how good the snow was on Wed for Oct. Crazy you can almost ride to the parking lot at T line. I didn't make it any higher then crater rock.

No Certs but taken quite a few Avy courses through the GNFAC. More of a good riding junky then a summit head but defiantly down for some of that as well when it's right. Pretty green to glacier travel and the volcanoes coming from Montana but I'm learning quick. It would great to get out with some people who know it. I try to ride seven day's a week. Hopefully all BC.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 pm 

yeah joey! where did you ride on Wednesday? on palmer?i rode down zig zag glacier from crater rock and had the hardest snow imaginable. it was smoothish though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:54 pm 

No worries on the poacher, that dude actually got a different board and I grabbed it. The skins are as cleaned up as they're going to get and will be reglued this week. Pretty stoked.

nice to see a good amt of people fired up for the season.

Keep me posted on when you' all will be getting out.

Also, joeyzims, I know that meadows is mass hiring right now. Shouldn't be tough finding something if it's in your area....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 pm 

Hey christoph.... Wed sucked! Monday was fun on my way up I broke through the clouds and the top of palmer down was almost full fledged corn. ALMOST... Sorry I got my day's confused. We should talk I was just up on the tom, dick and harry fish haha area and it did look fun prior to seeing your post... there's two pinner slots i'm wondering if they go. The muddy fork also holds my interest.

It's dumping up here as we speak. Guessing at 5 inches up high so far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 am 

I'm new to this site. Looking for some b/c partners. In the process of splitting an old never summer and will be ditching the lift lines this winter. I have a a fair amount of backcountry experience but a minimal amount in the cascades/Mt. hood area, and I've been using snowshoes prior to this season. I avy level 1 training and have riding the backcountry for the past five or six seasons. I'm located in Sandy and would love to get out this winter as much as humanly possible. I have the winters off so I'm pretty much always free. Would also like to set up a trip down to crater lake if there is any interest. Have a nice day and hope to be seeing you hiking up a hill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:13 am 

Hey all. I'm thinking about a Tilly Jane/Cooper Spur trip the weekend of 12/3. It's $15/night/person to stay in the cabin, probably just stay that Saturday night. Hit Cooper Spur early Sunday and ride down through Pollalie canyon, then hike up back to the cabin. Canyon laps optional.

For those who have never stayed there, it's a huge rustic cabin (can easily accomodate groups of 15) with a woodstove and big flat open sleeping area. You'd need a sleeping bag and food, but really no other camping stuff needed.

Any takers? Let me know in the next few weeks, and I'll collect $$ from everyone and book it. Jefe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 pm 

haha yeah those lil pinners go through if theres enough snow. i hit em last year, they're fun, real short and technical. crux was probably 18 inches wide. on tom dick peak theres a cool line that drops a 500? foot couloir before dumping off a mandatory 15 foot cliff at the end.

cant stop looking at the muddy fork terrain. either hike up from old maid flat or set up a carpool, start at t-line, cross illumination saddle, ride the reid glacier down to yocum ridge then drop down to muddy fork and hike out to old maid flat.

jefe count me in. 12/3 on the calendar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 am 

Jeffe, I'm down for 12/3. Lets get out a weekend or two before then.
If anyone needs a ride. I'd like to get to the trailhead early Saturday, and leave late on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:52 am 

Hey, I'm down for the 12/3 as well. I won't get my schedule till the 11/12 but should be able to make it happen no problem.

Quote:
fun, real short and technical. crux was probably 18 inches wide. on tom dick peak theres a cool line that drops a 500? foot couloir before dumping off a mandatory 15 foot cliff at the end

:drool:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:37 am 

Nice, we got at least Joey, Chronic and Chris. I'l probably drive up Friday night and crash in my car at the trailhead so I can get an early start on Saturday, I might have some friends coming to ski on Saturday that can't stay the night. If you show up at 5am and see me sleeping in the back of a subaru please bang on the windows to wake my lazy ass up!

I'll book the reservation for 4, and if anyone else wants to join let me know at least a week in advance. Please bring $15 in cash when you show up as I'll be fronting for all of you.

They don't allow dogs there, sorry for any dog owners.

I've stayed there before, so if anyone has questions or anything please let me know.

And I'm still down for day trips prior to this as long as there is snow, it's sposed to start tonight so we'll see... :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:18 am 

Just found out I don't have to work this Sunday and wondering if anyone is up for a day trip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next