Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crampons for snowboard boots
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:10 am 

I've used the Grivel G12 crampons here in AK for 10 years, the same pair, and I love them. They might be slightly heavier than some others, but the performance is great. I've always used them with either Burton Drivers or Ions. Have even climbed vertical glacier ice, bouldering around. Will update once I try them with my new Spark boots.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:08 am 

im shopping for crampons, i tried bd Contact and they didnt fit my burton serrow that well, then i found this review on BC by Neil provo, and hes got the same boot in a Petzl Vasak 12-Point Mountaineering http://www.backcountry.com/store/review ... ampon.html

Any one else recommend vasak? Prices here kinda suck $270 USD! and petzle dont allow for importing, im down for buying local but 70% mark up...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:11 am 

^^^^

I've used Vasaks for years and would recommend them. They're pretty burly and heavy, so good for big glaciers, etc but maybe a little overkill for tours where you may or may not need them...i've used them with malamutes, drivers, mountaineering boots and at boots.

$270?!?! Well, unlike aluminum they'll last forever...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:06 am 

I also have the petzel vasak with deeluxe spark boots. The boots fits the crampons perfectly and it feels stiff enough on icy terrains. The only problem I had is I made a hole in my pants barly touching one of the crampon tips :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 am 

I have the Aluminum CAMP 470's and to keep the giant toe of the snowboard boot in ive been trying an extra strap ive added around the toe.

Also, the ankle strap goes up a full 3.5" on the 470's compared to 1.5" with my BD compact strapes, so that i think is a huge plus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:14 am 

Some good advice. Im currently trying to decide which crampons to get too. Looking at grivels, mainly because tiso has them all half price at the mo.
I considering the g10 wide, g12, air tech or monta rosa.

Figure g12 would be good for more technical stuff, air tech good as they extra points only needed for more technical stuff, g10 wide for better fit or monta rosa as they are aimed for a more flexible boot.

Obviously Ill go with which ever fit the best but assuming they all fit well does anyone have experience of using the air techs over the g12?