Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patagonia Snowboard Line - Dirksen, Shearer, and Bell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am 

Patagonia will be adding a snowboard/splitboard-specific angle to their skiwear line in 2011. They've signed on Josh Dirksen, Forrest Shearer, and Ryland Bell as advocates. Ryland has a nice interview on Patagonia's "The Cleanest Line" blog.

http://www.thecleanestline.com/2011/06/ ... -bell.html

Post subject: Re: Patagonia Snowboard Line - Dirksen, Shearer, and Bell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm 

samh wrote:
Patagonia will be adding a snowboard/splitboard-specific angle to their skiwear line in 2011. They've signed on Josh Dirksen, Forrest Shearer, and Ryland Bell as advocates. Ryland has a nice interview on Patagonia's "The Cleanest Line" blog.

http://www.thecleanestline.com/2011/06/ ... -bell.html

I'm hoping this new outerwear has a more relaxed fit. I've always liked their clean styles, but the sleeves and overall length are always way too short for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 pm 

Patagonia has tried this before, but the clothes they made were to resort oriented to really work well for the hardcore backcountry rider. Since then their ski line has been hit or miss, with the weird sizing noted above-made to fit Yvon apparently! A fireplug body style with huge bodies and short arms and legs. Hopefully now they will get it right, and get the weight down too.
Arcteryx makes fantastic stuff, and the weight is way lighter than anything else, even keeping all the same features. Plus Arcteryx really fits endurance athletes well, with a slimmer fit, and long arms and legs (but still stylish with the relaxed fit snowboard/ski line).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:09 am 

barrows wrote:
Arcteryx makes fantastic stuff, and the weight is way lighter than anything else, even keeping all the same features. Plus Arcteryx really fits endurance athletes well, with a slimmer fit, and long arms and legs (but still stylish with the relaxed fit snowboard/ski line).

But how can I splitboard if I have to give them an arm and a leg to get clothes?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 am 

ehcarley wrote:
barrows wrote:

But how can I splitboard if I have to give them an arm and a leg to get clothes?

Start shopping now! It try to pick up as much items I need on closeout in June, July, August when there's still some selection and after the April/May sales that are only 20-30% off. I picked up my Arc'teryx two years ago for 70% off. We just got my wife a new jacket (Burton) for 60% off and some Spark Blaze/LT for a ridiculous price I won't mention.

We're both shopping for boots and gloves too this weekend which are good to buy off season too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:25 am 

You get what you pay for in this case. I choose to purchase and use the best gear I can. Generally, the pain of the purchase price is quickly forgotten while the enjoyment of using gear that works very, very well last for a long time.
When I was younger, I often purchased cheaper stuff that would "do the job", but then every day I spent in the backcountry I would get annoyed at my gear-being too heavy, having uselss features that got in the way, pants that are constantly falling down, zippers that take extra effort to manipulate, etc.
With really good gear, I never even think about it when I am out riding, as it all just works, and my days are filled with the joy of climbing and riding lines rather than struggling with heavy poorly designed gear. Just my opinion.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:30 pm 

I had a firsthand look at the stuff at SIA. Definitely a slightly baggier cut than their ski mountaineering gear, but still trim enough for touring. Definitely not low end and pretty simple aesthetics, gore tex, no extra pockets where you don't need them and that kind of stuff that often comes with snowboard outerwear. I will probably be riding it this winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 am 

I toured all winter in a pair of Patagonia Simple Guide Pants (except extreme cold and wet when I wore Goretex bibs). I also often tour in a Patagonia Traverse Softshell which is about the lightest softshell I've ever found. These clothing items are really well constructed (as with all the Patagonia clothing I've ever worn) so I have hope that their ski/snowboard line will continue with this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 am 

2 pairs of my current BC options are the Patagonia Six Chuter bib and White Smoke pant. Have been very happy with their performance and durability. IMHO Pataguch is just like the 'Dead Bird' stuff...well worth the $, but I think its a bit easier to find deals on Pataguch. Though truth be told, if one wants a similar level of performance for a lower entry fee the stuff from Outdoor Research seems to fit the bill nicely. Look forward to see the Pataguch lineup nonetheless.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am 

patagucci needs to make shit that fits people who actually eat lunch. double xl doesn't mean make the arms 2 inches longer and leave the body the same girth. My arms haven't grown since I was in high school, my beer storage area has. It is quite unfortunate that I cannot fit in mammut, arcteryx or patagucci, I like their shit.

I work at a mtn in VT, we're all getting goretex rain jackets as a gift for a good season...patagucci, guess I'm trading it to my skinnier cousin for some greenery.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:17 am 

Just wanted to update everyone on the new Patagonia line. I recently got the Primo jacket in Lagoon Blue. I absolutely love it! Best jacket I have ever had, compared to numerous Arcteryx and Burton AK. They say its a Performance Shell, which is normally reserved for thinner fabric and 2 layer shells. This is 3 layer and feels super burly, equivalent to the most rugged new range of Arcteryx pro shell. The fit is great, slightly slimmer than Burton AK, but not by much. Im 5'6 145 and the small fits quite roomy. The DWR on the shell is great, beads perfectly.
Highly recommend, especially if you can get a pro deal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:00 am 

I am a total patagucci whore. the new line this year is pretty sick. primo jacket is awesome love the cut and the feel. the snowbowl is also worth a look. I refuse to wear hardshell pants, but If i did I would go for the new Alpine Bib.

Arcteryx was the best 5 years ago. Not my favorite any more, once it went overseas quality and durability has gone down hill. 5-6 years ago the price was justifiable because no one else was doing what they were doing. Now everyone does what they are doing for a lot cheaper. they still make good stuff but I can't find myself spending the money even on prodeal.

ps- for those that need long arms check out Stoic's stuff- backcountry.com house brand, hit or miss quality but it is always on steepandcheap for super cheap. Insider hint- purchase it full price at backcountry.com so you get free lifetime warranty, then if you want you can get a new jacket every year for free.

the new patagonia snowboard stuff is cut looser than previous patagonia stuff.