Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jones Solution Stance Width
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:33 pm 

With all due respect to Jeremy and each individual poster, a few things in no particular order...

...If you cut your favorite board it may not ride quite the same. It will likely be softer tip to tail...

...The US has been very socialized since before most on this forum were born. I'm guessing very few of us would give up even 50% of all that is socialized in America with pitching a fit of epic proportions.

...I know we are here to help one another and answer questions, but I get sketched every time I hear someone ask...
what their stance should be,
what size board they should ride,
should they ski, or snowboard...
These really ARE good questions, BUT they are questions that should be worked out well in advance of going into the backcountry...

My humblest apologies for the thread drift. I'm bored :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:27 pm 

Hallo American riders,i have a doubt about this board (164),what is a center of stance,is it on the middle of the buckles or not?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:01 pm 

OCD wrote:
the jib influence.

I'm shopping for a new board this season, leading me back to look at this thread because I'd vaguely remembered that the Jones boards had this (stance) issue.

I have no problem with Jeremy telling me the reason I ride a 19 3/4 stance is that I'm old...because it's true :-)

That said if I have stability issues because of it, maybe I WILL toy with widening my stance.

I also like setback options and I'm not a jibber (those of you who've ridden with me know that I like fright without flight (steeps). So I'm bumping this thread at this time, because I bet 1 person will probably read it again..and I want to know from those in the know. Guys who ride/have ridden the board (Jimw, PJ, Brooks, Russman, Klosters etc)- if the minimum stance width on the Solution have changed with the new model and if any setback is possible.

Also, while I HIGHLY doubt JJ would wander back here to this thread, it'd be great to hear from him as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:34 pm 

jbay,
I don't know if the stance range has changed, but I got a 164 solution at the end of the season last year and it seems to me that if you're centered your stance would fit. In terms of set backs I'm not sure why you'd bother. Part of the point of early rise nose or rocker is to allow you to ride centered in deep snow. Additionally (and this is just my opinion) if you're riding steeps you don't want it set back. 1st of all real steeps are never super deep. In order to get snow to stick on really steep slopes it's got to come in wet which puts a certain limit on your sink/penetration. Plus steep slopes constantly slough and point release so that limits how "deep" the snow will be as well. Also it seem to me that being centered to far back on the board on steeps could lead to difficulty turning on truly steep slopes and would give the board a tenancy to want to run away on you.
Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 am 

Thanks for the feedback Peacefrog.

While I WILL take your comments into consideration, tbh, I'm pretty proud of my steeps skillz for the most part and I ride a mojo RX with a rockered nose and plenty of setback.

I think it's the fact that I come from a surf background and am used to having my back foot right over the finbox. It might be purely psychological, but if your brain likes it and you have the confidence to charge it, you'll drop it...setback or not.

All that said, I've already decided I'm going to try and work some of JJs suggestions on this thread into my stance this season. Widen it (gradually and incementally). Center it a BIT more, and change the angles a bit over the course of the season to vary the pressure points on my knees and hips.

As an old dude, that last thing is what appeals to me the most.