Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hovercraft Split
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:48 am 

Anyone get their Hovercraft Split yet? I am dying to get it and The House says I have to wait until end of November. Not much snow in the PNW yet anyways, but the new toy factor has me stoked!!!

Post subject: Re: Hovercraft Split
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:30 pm 

Trying to locate one up here in Canada without much luck so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 pm 

I ordered mine from a shop in Vancouver/Whistler area in September (they were apparently already sold out of the Split Hovercraft, so I had to special order mine).

Anyway, called them at the very end of Oct and the gentleman said that they were currently in Quebec and were on their way out here maybe for Mid November.

Not sure if that means they are about to start popping up around Canada soon... or if that means just the one shop's order is in the country. But it has got to be a start, right?

-hps

Disclaimer: I did not actually specify the "Split Hovercraft" when I asked the guy on the phone, I just asked "if the new Jones boards were in yet"... I am just hoping there will be some Split Hovercrafts in the first shipment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 am 

Looks like a sick board. The 56 has a 26 waist and a 9.3 sidecut and a 20cm set back! I'd like try it out on one of my local breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:00 pm 

Has anyone checked to see if they where in stock at snowboards.net or now. Usually house has them but I check between the two if im looking for something

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 pm 

Got an e-mail today from the shop where I ordered mine (in the Vancouver/Whistler area) saying that the Split Hovercraft has arrived. So if you still have not found one... now might be a good time to check around again!

:drool:

-hps

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:09 pm 

Arrived, woot! :bananas:

The first thing you might notice is that the top graphic is skewed. It is centered at the front of the board, but shifted to the left by a full inch at the back... go go quality control!

I asked myself if I really cared about the alignment of the top graphic and answered: Yes, a bit.
Then I asked myself if I had any choice and answered: No (I.e. it would probably be 6 months for a replacement).

Asymmetrical graphics up close. Maybe it will be worth money one day... like a typo on an old rare baseball card? Haha! (You can see it is still in the plastic wrapping at this point, so I didn't mess with it).

The tail, in split mode, base to base.
Note: The top one is not actually longer... I just did a crappy job of lining them up.

The center, in split mode, base to base (So you can see the camber).

The nose, in split mode, base to base.
So you can see the rocker.

Tail, split:
Nose, split:

I have to admit that I bought a 155 Jones Mountain Twin last year and found strange defects in it also, bubbles on the graphics like misbehaving epoxy, cracks showing up in the film top sheet after riding, etc. But I rode the Mountain Twin anyway, and I now consider it to be the most fun snowboard I have ever strapped into. ever. If the defects start to bother me, I will put stickers over them.

So I still have high expectations for the Split Hovercraft!! But of course the Voile split interface I purchased is on back order... So I can't actually ride this thing yet... It is just a decoration.

-hps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 am 

If I were you I would ask for a replacement and tell them you will ride that one until it arrives. :nononno:

I have got to give one of those a try!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 am 

I rode the solid version about a month ago at a demo. Even on icy groomers, that board is a blast. Didn't want to give it back. That split is gonna be a blast. I might consider getting one as a quiver board in the future. So much fun charging on that thing.

Sucks about the graphics but I'd let it go and ride it for a season, maybe see if they can exchange it later. Off center graphics aren't that big of a deal, as long as the holes line up and work. Once you ride it, you'll love it and forget about the graphics I swear.

I agree about the MT twin too. Super fun board, can wait to get some snow to play with it for real.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 pm 

Nice looking board.

I have to admit I bought a jones last year (non split) and it's falling to buts, anyway.

Are you sure your graphics are off looks like they just do a funny down and up thing in the dark bit towards the edge! The word jones seems to be in line.

Have fun.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm 

All the pics of Hovercraft splits online show symmetrical graphics. Just imagine what horrors are lurking in the core construction if their F-it attitude towards the topsheet is any indication.

I'd want $200 off if I were buying a factory second or blem.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:00 pm 

jimcoates wrote:
Nice looking board.

I have to admit I bought a jones last year (non split) and it's falling to buts, anyway.

Are you sure your graphics are off looks like they just do a funny down and up thing in the dark bit towards the edge! The word jones seems to be in line.

Have fun.

Jim

just follow the border graphic from tip to tail, its way off

what a mess :nononno:

paste the pics on the jones snowboards facebook page, that seems to get their attention.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:06 pm 

Honestly, I would be more concerned about all the finger joints in the core, rather than a slight offset in the graphics. I would really like to see tip to tail wood cores without any finger joints like that...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/