Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:49 am 

I'm in PDX - done a few backcountry trips and looking to ditch the snowshoes. Got the avy gear but haven't taken a course yet - planning on signing up for the mountain savvy course later in the year (as that is typically when I go out touring with my buddies).

I will have to stop by next adventure when i'm done with my DIY. Bought a used board off my buddy that has a couple of scratches that a base grind or a bit of ptex can probably fix.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:14 pm 

Mushi wrote:
I'm in PDX - done a few backcountry trips and looking to ditch the snowshoes. Got the avy gear but haven't taken a course yet - planning on signing up for the mountain savvy course later in the year (as that is typically when I go out touring with my buddies).

I will have to stop by next adventure when i'm done with my DIY. Bought a used board off my buddy that has a couple of scratches that a base grind or a bit of ptex can probably fix.

Sweet, will let you know when we are planning trips. Weekends usually. A friend and I are going up to Palmer snowfield this Sunday to mess around, unless it's raining too bad...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:37 pm 

hey yo! it looks like tues and wednesday this coming week we will have a marine layer and low clouds, the volcanoes should be out and sunny. snow levels hovering around 7-8000 feet until then. on my way to the coffee shop today Hood was out for a second, looked nice and white. should be fresh snow on palmer, snow dome or up on muir snowfield at rainier. please let me know if anyone wants to go.

Jefe- no probs on that hot wax. come back any time and i'll hook it up with whatever tune work you need. just remember that 3 day turnaround.

Mushi- bring it on in! ive also got some pretty cool lil ski inserts that will work great on a diy kit, so you can minimize the t-bolting required. if you t- bolt it all up, ive got some stuff called metal grip that will work much better than epoxying over the t-bolts. also, with the avy stuff, i usually start everyday with beacon practice and a couple of snowpits. so no worries if you haven't done the avy 1. we'll make some judgement calls on where we can go safely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 pm 

Chris, my friend Chris and I are going on Sunday to Palmer (as long as it's not raining), you are welcome to roll with if you're not working...

christoph benells wrote:
hey yo! it looks like tues and wednesday this coming week we will have a marine layer and low clouds, the volcanoes should be out and sunny. snow levels hovering around 7-8000 feet until then. on my way to the coffee shop today Hood was out for a second, looked nice and white. should be fresh snow on palmer, snow dome or up on muir snowfield at rainier. please let me know if anyone wants to go.

Jefe- no probs on that hot wax. come back any time and i'll hook it up with whatever tune work you need. just remember that 3 day turnaround.

Mushi- bring it on in! ive also got some pretty cool lil ski inserts that will work great on a diy kit, so you can minimize the t-bolting required. if you t- bolt it all up, ive got some stuff called metal grip that will work much better than epoxying over the t-bolts. also, with the avy stuff, i usually start everyday with beacon practice and a couple of snowpits. so no worries if you haven't done the avy 1. we'll make some judgement calls on where we can go safely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:57 pm 

hey jefe i'll let you know. i should be able to work a bit ahead and take some time off. although i think it'll be a bit stormy up there. tues and wednesday look like it'll be the jam. check out the trip reports on cascade climbers.com there was a guy who climbed hood a couple of days ago and it looks real good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:07 pm 

This thread's got me pumped! I'm new to portland, second year splitting. Keep me in the loop, I'm in NW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:32 am 

christoph benells wrote:
hey jefe i'll let you know. i should be able to work a bit ahead and take some time off. although i think it'll be a bit stormy up there. tues and wednesday look like it'll be the jam. check out the trip reports on cascade climbers.com there was a guy who climbed hood a couple of days ago and it looks real good.

Tuesdays and wednesday ALWAYS have better snow, it's some sort of curse or something for my sake. But hey no one is a real Cascade warrior unless they ride in the rain... You'll suffer and you'll LIKE it, son! :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:34 pm 

how was it jefe?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm 

Sunny, 2000 feet of corn! Pretty nice.

Well the season for me is officially open, so let's go git sum! 8)

christoph benells wrote:
how was it jefe?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 pm 

nice job on the weather window! you were able to get some goods after all. i dropped a snowboard on my toe and am in severe danger of losing my big toenail. its painful, but i think im still gonna push through it and hopefully head up to rainier on wed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 pm 

Hey everyone. Just got a split this Fall and am down for all the above. First year splitting but lots of experience riding, climbing, etc. I've got all the avy gear. live in hood, love beer, and am down. My schedule is random but I'll rally. Keep me in the loop.

Just pm mewith contact info and we'll go from there

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:25 pm 

Hey all.

Where are some good backcountry areas in the Hood/Adams area? Cabins, snowparks, access, places to winter camp, etc are all welcomed.

My brother and I are trying to just get a feel for the area and want to plan some trips.

cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 am 

acmcmurray wrote:
Hey all.

Where are some good backcountry areas in the Hood/Adams area? Cabins, snowparks, access, places to winter camp, etc are all welcomed.

My brother and I are trying to just get a feel for the area and want to plan some trips.

cheers.

Cooper Spur is a great place to start. Head for the Tilly Jane cabin, it's really easy to find and pretty easy skin in. Used to be free to stay there but now it's $15/night/person. Polallie Canyon is good, and up high you can hit Cooper Spur. There's not much snow below 8k at this point, so I'm going to wait until there's a few storms first.

If you REALLY need to ride, you can always hit Palmer Snowfield pretty much year round. I was just there last weekend. Nice and corny if you can hit it on a sunny day. Good to hit a few laps there to get your riding legs back on in the preseason!

I'll let everyone in the thread know when I'm heading to TJ/Cooper Spur and maybe we can do a group trip to start the year?

Bonus: my friend and I buried about 70 beers up there, so no packing in required. :guinness:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next